Ole Miss cheer

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is what I recall from my University days. Speaking of the Rammer Jammer whatever happened to the Mahout? IIRC it also got the hook.
You are correct. I think The Mahout was just a reincarnation of Rammer Jammer, with the same problems with language, etc. With today's standards, they'd probably still be around... :D

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Most don't remember Rammer Jammer because it was gone by the time most went to school. I think late seventies or early eighties it published its last edition. It was, shall we say, politically incorrect. It could be somewhat vulgar, sexist, and very funny. If I remember correctly, it was mainly a greek paper.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Most don't remember Rammer Jammer because it was gone by the time most went to school. I think late seventies or early eighties it published its last edition. It was, shall we say, politically incorrect. It could be somewhat vulgar, sexist, and very funny. If I remember correctly, it was mainly a greek paper.
No, it terminated in 1956, the year before I was a freshman. I thought I had said that above. Negotiations to restart it were ongoing my first couple of years but never went anywhere...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I was in school in 89 when AD Steve Sloan allowed it to come back, and it was referred to as the Ole Miss Cheer then. Maybe it was just the first few years it came back.
Same here. IIRC, the band drum major would hold up a sign with "Ole Miss" on it before they played it. So at least 30 years ago as 'Ole Miss.'

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Same here. IIRC, the band drum major would hold up a sign with "Ole Miss" on it before they played it. So at least 30 years ago as 'Ole Miss.'
Anyone who's really listened to the Ole Miss cheer (believe me, I have) knows exactly the lineage of the present Rammer Jammer cheer...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I was in school in 89 when AD Steve Sloan allowed it to come back, and it was referred to as the Ole Miss Cheer then. Maybe it was just the first few years it came back.
I'll co-sign this. I was at UA from 89-93. The cheer was at least "officially" known as the Ole Miss Cheer then.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I did not attend UA (parents did), but I'm from Tuscaloosa and grew up a Bama fan, been going to games since early 80s and watching them on TV before that. First time I ever heard it called the Ole Miss cheer was when I opened this thread today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.