Ole Miss cheer

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
At what point during the last 25 or so years did people start calling the Ole Miss cheer "Rammer Jammer"?

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
At what point during the last 25 or so years did people start calling the Ole Miss cheer "Rammer Jammer"?
i have heard it referred to as rammer jammer since i was a kid going to the games in the late 70s before it was stopped for a while. i don't think i ever heard it referred to as the ole miss cheer until much later.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've never heard of it being referred to as the Ole Miss cheer. I had no idea it came from OM: https://www.al.com/sports/2016/09/whats_better_rammer_jammer_or.html
I was in school from the mid 50s until the early 60s. We didn't have the long version then. We did have "Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer, Give'm Hell Alabama." In fact, when I started, in 1957, the student paper "The Rammer Jammer" had just been shut down for crossing the line once too often. The first time I heard the long version, the first thing I thought of was the Ole Miss cheer, which I'm well familiar with, being married to an Ole Miss/Oxford native lady...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Incidentally, the term "hotty toddy" has an interesting origin which has nothing to do with a drink. It was originally "hoity-toity," and there's some evidence it elided to "hidey-tidey" before it morphed into "hotty-toddy."

Today we most often use hoity-toity as an adjective, but before it was an adjective it was a noun meaning "thoughtless giddy behavior." The noun, which first appeared in print in the middle of the 17th century, was probably created as a singsongy rhyme based on the dialectal English word hoit, meaning "to play the fool." The adjective hoity-toity can stay close to its roots and mean "foolish" ("… as though it were very hoity-toity of me not to know that royal personage." — W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor’s Edge), but in current use it more often means "pretentious."
"Playing the fool" indeed... :D

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I was in school from the mid 50s until the early 60s. We didn't have the long version then. We did have "Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer, Give'm Hell Alabama." In fact, when I started, in 1957, the student paper "The Rammer Jammer" had just been shut down for crossing the line once too often. The first time I heard the long version, the first thing I thought of was the Ole Miss cheer, which I'm well familiar with, being married to an Ole Miss/Oxford native lady...
That is what I recall from my University days. Speaking of the Rammer Jammer whatever happened to the Mahout? IIRC it also got the hook.

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004
I think the person leading the band does a big "O" with their hand to signify that the next song is Rammer Jammer.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I was in school in 89 when AD Steve Sloan allowed it to come back, and it was referred to as the Ole Miss Cheer then. Maybe it was just the first few years it came back.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I was in school in 89 when AD Steve Sloan allowed it to come back, and it was referred to as the Ole Miss Cheer then. Maybe it was just the first few years it came back.
i was in school at the same time and all of the folks i knew called it rammer jammer. i don't really remember hearing it referred to as the ole miss cheer until i started reading tf.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not "ganging up" but I was there from '84-'89 (I Red-Shirted+...:Joker_PDT_20:) and I'm with 92 on this one...

***Edit: In reading B1G's article, it sounds like it depends on who you hung out with decided what it was called...cool story, we absolutely own it now!!! RTR!!!

i was in school at the same time and all of the folks i knew called it rammer jammer. i don't really remember hearing it referred to as the ole miss cheer until i started reading tf.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Incidentally, the term "hotty toddy" has an interesting origin which has nothing to do with a drink. It was originally "hoity-toity," and there's some evidence it elided to "hidey-tidey" before it morphed into "hotty-toddy."
The Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Marching Band is the Highty-Tighties.
The Highty-Tighties

By 1919, the regimental band began to be known as the Highty-Tighties. The origin of the name has been hotly debated for years — some claimed it was part of a cheer, others claimed it sprang from a trip to Richmond where the Corps and band marched in honor of Field Marshal Foch, the supreme allied commander of World War I. Supposedly, the drum major had dropped and then recovered his baton while rendering a salute in front of the reviewing stand, and someone in the crowd yelled "hoity-toity." Southwest Virginia slang had supposedly turned this into "Highty-Tighty." Like many legends, there are bits and pieces of factual information from several events woven into a story — but the accepted story is, that just like "Hokie" began as part of a cadet cheer, so, too, the name "Highty-Tighty" began as part of a cadet cheer.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not "ganging up" but I was there from '84-'89 (I Red-Shirted+...:Joker_PDT_20:) and I'm with 92 on this one...

***Edit: In reading B1G's article, it sounds like it depends on who you hung out with decided what it was called...cool story, we absolutely own it now!!! RTR!!!
i chose the 5 year performance plan as well ;)

that's a cool article above. i went to almost all of the bryant-denny home games from 81 to about 84 as an usher with the boy scouts and i remember them playing it a few times before kickoff at most games.

Last edited:

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I remember a roommate of mine who was from Georgia referring to it as the Ole Miss cheer back in 1991, my first semester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.