Report: Some Virginia Tech football players wanted to lose final game of 2018 season

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow!

"Do not catch a touchdown. If you catch a touchdown, I’m going to have to fight you."

Tre Turner’s own Virginia Tech teammates encouraged him and other players to concede the Hokies’ Dec. 1 game against Marshall last year, a game that determined if the season would extend to a bowl trip. As unbelievable as they are, these quotes are real, says Turner and other Tech players.

"I really hope we lose."

The comments came from the mouths of a small group of players no longer on the team, guys who meant to cripple their own squad just hours before the regular season finale. Just a wide-eyed true freshman receiver last season, Turner was struck by the vitriol of his own teammates.

"Well, if we lose we can go home early and don’t have to go to a bowl game."
Inside Virginia Tech's Internal Turnaround After a Season of Division and Negativity

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Pathetic. Just absolutely pathetic. No matter how bad they thought they had it, they were on a cake walk compared to others. I absolutely cannot stand this kind of attitude.

I'm glad for those that didn't let it get them down, that stuck around and worked to make it a better place. For those that couldn't hack such an easy situation, compared to millions around the world facing far tougher circumstances, well I hope they figure it out soon enough before real adversity strikes.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Read this story a while back. Just really terrible. I’m sure Fuente isn’t missing those who transferred out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Makes me curious about Fuente as a HC. We'll see if this was a rare occurrence or a pattern develops over time.
Read that article a few weeks ago, and I'm curious, too. At one time, I thought of Fuente as a potential successor to Saban, in an "if he's successful at VT, if he develops, if VT starts to be a legitimate challenge for Clemson.." sort of way.

This situation makes me question a lot of things about his management abilities. I'm sure there's fault on both the players' and the coaches' parts. The question is who was more at fault? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Makes me curious about Fuente as a HC. We'll see if this was a rare occurrence or a pattern develops over time.
Yeah, hard to say whether this was a few bad apples in the locker room, or a coach who lost the locker room. We'll find out this year.

As for the players - any player who actually wants to lose, for any reason, isn't dedicated to himself or his craft. No matter how those players got there - they are responsible for the way that they handled themselves. VT is better off without them.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Regarding the part about workouts that often left players dropping to the ground, I wonder how those players would handle what's required at Bama.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Tech’s long-time DC Bud Foster announced he will retire at the end of the season...he’s been around a long time but he’s not really very old (60)...I wonder if that’s a sign of problems as well?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
According to the article, Fuente held a team meeting to get to the bottom of the discontent, and basically gave the players everything they were asking for. And supposedly the players that remain are happy, and happy the malcontents are gone. I agree there is some degree of blame to assign from both sides. But I'm leaning towards favoring Fuente in this while we wait to see how things play out.

Every generation is different from the ones that came before, and change is inevitable. But there are some aspects to the younger generations that I simply loathe. I'm doing my best to raise mine to avoid those pitfalls. No matter how much changes, hard work and dedication during difficult times are almost always going to be required in order to succeed.

Last edited:

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
when i read crap like this it makes me appreciate our program even more. i can't imagine this happening at bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.