News Article: The team is literally taking part in a boot camp right now.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Have any of you seen the pics posted on their Facebook page? Coach has begun what will hopefully turn in to a tradition. Everyone, coaches and staff included is going through everything from endurance tests to team exercise to water training. They took a group photo at the end of the day, and most of them looked completely gassed.

Don't be surprised if we see a decidedly tougher team, mentally and physically, this season!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
BamaMike05 posted a Twitter video from the experience in the roster thread. It's a good one to check out. I'm really proud of the effort these young men are putting in. I truly hope it pays off for them in a big way this season. I'm definitely pulling for this team!

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
CNO was right beside his players going though the boot camp.
Good catch Tidesq, the whole coaching staff took part as well. Really sets a great prescient imo. I don't know how this al is going to turn out for CNO but I admire the effort he's putting into building not only a successful team but also a successful program.

Here are videos from Day two and three of the retreat/camp:

Day Two recap video

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1163802601340755969

Day Three recap

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1164188549673029632

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
It's essentially saying to any big-time recruit: "We'd love to have you, but check your ego at the door and get in the mud with us if you pick Bama."

He hasn't done anything I haven't been impressed with so far.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Tidesq

1st Team
Dec 30, 2006
Enterprise, AL
A great leader never asks someone to do something they wouldn’t or haven’t done themselves. A great leader leads by example. I had many questions about this hire, but I have been impressed with everything so far that he has done...and after seeing these videos, I am convinced that we have found a great leader for this team. CNO will lead this program to greatness.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm primarily a football fan but this hire has me excited! I got chills watching those videos!

ROL TIDE!!!!!
That is me too but I have been a regular over here since Nate was hired and boy does it feel nice to have the roundball program looking up. I am going to some games next season. Can't wait!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I met Jack Doss the other day and I mentioned how excited I was about Coach Oats. He said that he used to sneak into practice to watch the team because Avery didn't want him there. He said Avery's practices were like watching a middle school team practice. He had very good things to say about Coach Oats. We did not get to chat long so I didn't get any more info than that. I would love to have heard more about John Petty's perspective of CNO.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I met Jack Doss the other day and I mentioned how excited I was about Coach Oats. He said that he used to sneak into practice to watch the team because Avery didn't want him there. He said Avery's practices were like watching a middle school team practice. He had very good things to say about Coach Oats. We did not get to chat long so I didn't get any more info than that. I would love to have heard more about John Petty's perspective of CNO.
I worked Jack Doss’s basketball camp this summer, and had the exact same conversation with him. Actually, right before camp started one day, he got a call from CNO. We had to start the camp without him because he was on the phone with CNO. He told me that Avery’s practices were ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I thought this was as good a place as any to discuss Coach oats. I met him last night at the Tip-Off club event. He is very personable so I am sure recruits love him. Frankly, he kinda reminds me of a little bit of Dabo. He is very down to earth, but has an infectious personality. He has a system and he is working to get the kids up to speed right now. He said the team is working mostly on offensive end and individual skills which is sorely needed. He talked about individual players and what they need to work on to get better. BTW, no word on Quinnerly from the NCAA yet. He said keeping Pettway was the best decision he has made so far, because he kept the recruiting class together and is one of his main recruiters. He also said there was a need to change the culture herewith the players. He said many lacked confidence so they would turn down shots. I asked him about turnovers and free throws to which he said if we had 1 less turnover in 8 of the games last year we'd have won all of those games. He is an analytics guy as well, detailed deep analytics. He was a math teacher after all. He said he want to get to 7 or 8 ma rotation when the conference schedule begins, but he'd' play 10 or 11 in the non conference schedule to give guys a chance.

I can't wait for the new season. It is going to be exciting. No slogans, just a great turnaround.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
thanks for the information.
He talked about individual players as well, but much may have been on the Coaches show last night. Any way, I'll wait until closer to the season to do a player by player run down of what he said just in case some changes occur. I am sure Bama Mike has much more info and understands it better than I do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.