The rise of the Epoch Times

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
felt like this deserved it's own thread as this is a source I often see from the right, sometimes here often on facebook and it is just so bizarre it needed to be separate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...ay-behind-facebook-fueled-rise-epoch-n1044121

By the numbers, there is no bigger advocate of President Donald Trump on Facebook than The Epoch Times.The small New York-based nonprofit news outlet has spent more than $1.5 million on about 11,000 pro-Trump advertisements in the last six months, according to data from Facebook’s advertising archive — more than any organization outside of the Trump campaign itself, and more than most Democratic presidential candidates have spent on their own campaigns.

Those video ads — in which unidentified spokespeople thumb through a newspaper to praise Trump, peddle conspiracy theories about the “Deep State,” and criticize “fake news” media — strike a familiar tone in the online conservative news ecosystem. The Epoch Times looks like many of the conservative outlets that have gained followings in recent years.
But it isn’t.
Behind the scenes, the media outlet’s ownership and operation is closely tied to Falun Gong, a Chinese spiritual community with the stated goal of taking down China’s government.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am on Facebook a lot and have never seen or heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’ve not heard of them either. I use an ad blocker so that might be the reason. For all that is right and holy we just all need to stay off Facebook. I say that in jest but there’s some truth to it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I’ve not heard of them either. I use an ad blocker so that might be the reason. For all that is right and holy we just all need to stay off Facebook. I say that in jest but there’s some truth to it.

Watch The Great Hack on Netflix and you will see why you are correct that we should all stay off Facebook

as for epoch times. I see them all over reddit, especially r/politics where the old the_donald sub love to drop their stuff and from 1 or 2 fully Trump crazies on Facebook that I cannot block due to their familial proximity

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Watch The Great Hack on Netflix and you will see why you are correct that we should all stay off Facebook

as for epoch times. I see them all over reddit, especially r/politics where the old the_donald sub love to drop their stuff and from 1 or 2 fully Trump crazies on Facebook that I cannot block due to their familial proximity
Ill definitely check it out. I have a friend who is a cyber security analyst. He deleted his whole family's FB pages about a year ago. Granted he a black helicopter type guy but if there is a kernel of truth to what he says Im done too.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not into reddit, but I did find them on Facebook. It seemed to be the typical stuff you see on Trump fanboy pages. A bunch of articles saying how great he is and ones bashing various Democratic candidates.

I saw three friends of mine “like” the page. One was no surprise. It was my buddy I have mentioned on here a few times. He does nothing on Facebook but share several articles a day. I don’t recall seeing him share something from Epoch, but maybe I have forgotten.

Another was a woman from high school who has shared several pro-Trump pages.

The other was a bit surprising. I knew he was conservative and pro-Trump, but didn’t peg him as being “out there”.

A funny story about the guy who shares tons of articles. I have suspected he doesn’t read them, but just sees the headline and shares. A couple weeks ago he shared one that had some high profile Republican woman in the picture. I can’t remember who it is, but it was a name most would know.

Anyway, the headline was something like “(Woman’s name) speaks out about hatred in politics”. I clicked on the link and she was ripping into Trump up one side and down the other.

I was surprised he shared this, but wondered if he had even read it. Then someone else made a comment along the lines of “What about hatred against Trump”? That must have motivated him to read the article as it quickly disappeared.

He also shares a lot of articles about missing children. I like to click on them because I usually see “UPDATE...CHILD FOUND” as soon as I open it. The articles are usually several months old. But he just like to share them to make himself look like he cares.

But he also used to say Florida State was the real national champion in 1992, so what else is there to say?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I told y'all to keep an eye on these guys, looks like they've gained an interesting new partner

https://www.thedailybeast.com/banno...oup-that-thinks-trump-will-bring-on-end-times

After trying to launch his own cryptocurrency and failing to turn an Italian monastery into a training camp for Europe’s far right, former Trump adviser Steve Bannon has a new plan: teaming up with a Chinese spiritual movement that reportedly believes Trump will bring about Judgment Day. ]On Saturday night, viewers of the rabidly pro-Trump cable news channel One America News Network will witness the premiere of Bannon’s latest effort, a ripped-from-the-headlines political thriller modeled after the real-life legal battle that ensued following the arrest of an executive for Chinese tech company Huawei in Canada.
Bannon didn’t exact for subtlety as the executive producer of the filmClaws of the Red Dragon. Chinese communist officials in the movie meet in shadowy rooms to discuss the utmost importance of their “secret plan,” while an intrepid reporter investigating Huawei stand-in “Huaxing” finds a dead cat left on her car in warning. In a Bannonian touch at the end, viewers are left with an Edmund Burke quote warning that evil triumphs when “good men do nothing.”

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I totally agree with this. I'm not nor have I ever been on FB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.