Why is Locksley still commenting on 'Bama, Hurts?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Maryland’s Mike Locksley says Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts wants to face Alabama

If I'm a UM fan ( or administrator ), I'm thinking Bama is still in his head. I've seen more Mike Locksley comments about Bama this summer than I've seen from 'Bama folks. I think he might win the inaugural TideFans.com "Kiffin Award" for commenting on teams & players that aren't his.

I agree! I do think that Kiffin did it to draw attention to his program and thus help his recruiting. Perhaps Locksley sees it the same way... :cool2:

I didn't read the article. Was he responding to a question or did he just up and make a statement out of the blue? :conf2:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This may not be a big deal to others, but it is with me. The article is titled "Maryland's Mike Locksley says Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts wants to face Alabama." Actually, that's not what Locksley said. The title, IMO, implies that Locksley knows for certain Hurts wants to face Bama because he told him. But if you read the quote you get a different picture.

I’m sure in the back of Jalen’s mind, he would like to see the Oklahoma-Alabama matchup happen,” Locksley, who was Alabama’s offensive coordinator in 2018, told USA Today. "I think that came into play when he made the decision to go there.”

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I thought his comment about Jalen wanting to beat Bama is a big reason he went to Oklahoma was interesting. Not to say Oklahoma and Bama want see each other in the playoffs, but if true and if I were Jalen I would have transferred to somebody on our schedule to guarantee I would play them. As a Sooner his chance of playing Bama in reality is pretty slim.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I’m sure in the back of Jalen’s mind, he would like to see the Oklahoma-Alabama matchup happen,” Locksley, who was Alabama’s offensive coordinator in 2018, told USA Today. "I think that came into play when he made the decision to go there.”
Just tryin' to sell Mac-cyber-papers. USAYesterday has something called "For the Win" that could be bookended by much of their content that's "For the (Trash) Bin"...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm a bit put off by the notion that he went to Oklahoma with the hopes he would help them beat us in the playoffs. I cannot remember where he was considering going other than Oklahoma, but knowing the history of how the playoffs have gone so far, OU was probably the best chance he had at being on a contender other than staying at Alabama. So it is logical the what Locksley is saying could be true. But it is 3rd hand information at this point, so who knows?

Why would I be put off by that? Because it implies that somehow Alabama wasn't fair with Jalen. Why else would you want to meet up with us and beat us? Sounds like desiring revenge for some slight. But again, that's assuming all of this is even true.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I suspect Locksley has better things to focus his attention on, such as Maryland's pitiful football program.

But then again, I'm not sure one of his strengths is focusing on what he should be focusing on...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This may not be a big deal to others, but it is with me. The article is titled "Maryland's Mike Locksley says Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts wants to face Alabama." Actually, that's not what Locksley said. The title, IMO, implies that Locksley knows for certain Hurts wants to face Bama because he told him. But if you read the quote you get a different picture.
Yeah, that's just bad/misleading journalism and it happens all the time (especially in politics). Usually there's just an agenda (in politics) or in this case, they are looking for clicks.

For what it's worth, I'm sure Jalen would relish the opportunity to QB OU against us. It's human nature to want the ultimate test.

If the CFP were to result in us playing OU, you can bet some of these "journalists" will try to bait Jalen into saying something about Bama. I hope he doesn't fall into the trap (and none of our players would either).

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I suspect Hurts wanted to go to Oklahoma for two reasons: (1) It was and will be a contender to make the playoffs (2) There was no returning QB at Oklahoma, he would have to compete, but Murray was off to the NFL. Had Murray returned then I suspect Hurts would have looked elsewhere.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I suspect Hurts wanted to go to Oklahoma for two reasons: (1) It was and will be a contender to make the playoffs (2) There was no returning QB at Oklahoma, he would have to compete, but Murray was off to the NFL. Had Murray returned then I suspect Hurts would have looked elsewhere.
There was a rumor he would consider Auburn (where he would have probably been the instant starter too) but I think Jalen knew his popularity and love with Bama fans would have immediately disappeared and turned to extreme dislike.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Locksley was probably directly asked this question on Jalen by the USA Today reporter working on the Jalen Hurts story. That quote was then picked up by an Alabama beat reporter and attributed from the prior stories in order to raise the ire of Alabama fans. Looks like it worked on all counts.

Last edited:

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
There was a rumor he would consider Auburn (where he would have probably been the instant starter too) but I think Jalen knew his popularity and love with Bama fans would have immediately disappeared and turned to extreme dislike.
I think the only people that actually believed in that rumor was the aubie fans themselves.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I'm a bit put off by the notion that he went to Oklahoma with the hopes he would help them beat us in the playoffs. I cannot remember where he was considering going other than Oklahoma, but knowing the history of how the playoffs have gone so far, OU was probably the best chance he had at being on a contender other than staying at Alabama. So it is logical the what Locksley is saying could be true. But it is 3rd hand information at this point, so who knows?

Why would I be put off by that? Because it implies that somehow Alabama wasn't fair with Jalen. Why else would you want to meet up with us and beat us? Sounds like desiring revenge for some slight. But again, that's assuming all of this is even true.
Jalen will need to play defense too in order to beat us because Lord knows OU can’t stop a good high school team.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Jalen will always be loved by Alabama fans. The way he handled his situation last year speaks volumes to the person he is and his great character. If he’d went to au that would’ve destroyed that. I’m pulling for him this year.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I’m in the DC broadcast area and the local channels have put on a few Terps stories. The best ones are in empty Byrd stadium which is the way it looks on Saturday.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think it's easy to infer Hurts wants to play Alabama, simply because most paths to a championship go through them right? But why is he bothering to say that?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Or it's because the last 2 OK QBs were taken #1 overall in the draft and being the starting QB there means that every NFL scout in the nation which plays into Hurts' ultimate goal to get to the NFL?

I dont think he made the decision to go to OU with revenge in mind. With everything we've ever seen from Hurts, it's pretty clear he's trying to set himself up best for his future.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Hmm, I disagree. The implication is that he wants to prove Alabama wrong, which I think is a healthy attitude for a competitor. It's not really about fair/not fair IMO.

FWIW, I bet he went to OU for more than just making the playoffs/playing Alabama. Like Intl.Aperture said its likely that OU having back to back Heisman winners and #1 overall picks are probably the primary reasons he chose to transfer there.

Whatever the case I'll root for Jalen until he is directly competing against Alabama or won of our players for an award.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Like Intl.Aperture said its likely that OU having back to back Heisman winners and #1 overall picks are probably a major reason he chose to transfer there.
Every full time Oklahoma starting QB (exceptions being part time starters Blake Bell who is an NFL tight end, and Trevor Knight) since 2007 has thrown passes in the NFL. Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Bakery Mayfield and now Kyler Murray. That also doubles as a Heisman trophy candidates list. Just by earning the starting job, Hurts gained a big boost to his NFL prospects.

Going to Oklahoma made a lot of sense. Now, does it hurt that they might be contenders? I guess not, but compared to Auburn or Maryland for example, Oklahoma gives him a far more realistic path to the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.