Who is the worst headcoach to win a national championship?

Worst one to win it all

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just knew you were going to defend Chizik.

You did not disappoint... :cool2:
Well find me a more stupid moment in Chizik's tenure than Llyod Carr benching Brady in the middle of a week 6 game vs Nick Saban just to see Drew Henson throw the ball, and I change him from #2 to #1.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Dan Mullen had a top college quarterback in 2014 that is close to or better than Cam Newton, had a far better defense than that Auburn defense, and had to go through the weakest SEC season since 2006. Most would agree than Mullen is a better coach than Chizik, but he did some remarkably stupid things in 2014 to cost himself a playoff berth. At some point you have to make the most of the cards you are dealt, and Chizik did what many better coaches did and that was win a national championship in the premier division in football, and go undefeated also. 2010 Auburn had 2 players worth a darn, and didn't choke.

I think Chizik knew his limitations, and was smart enough not to get in the way of a national championship run. Cant say the same for folks like Carr, who lucked out and got the easiest National championship game, and totally botched 2-3 better Michigan title runs by trying to be an elite coach. Chizik is a lesser coach than all of them, but he didn't constantly choke away championships.
When did Mullen win a National Championship...? :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Well find me a more stupid moment in Chizik's tenure than Llyod Carr benching Brady in the middle of a week 6 game vs Nick Saban just to see Drew Henson throw the ball, and I change him from #2 to #1.
This thread is not about a single moment.

Seriously...?!?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This thread is not about a single moment.

Seriously...?!?
No its about coaches who are lifetime underachievers, are gifted with super teams, or on teams that luck into a poll championship winning titles they have no business winning. Llyod Carr won a miracle championship by his standards just like Chizik. Llyod Carr is just a more stupid coach with less competition than Chizik. So edge goes to Carr being the worst based on circumstances. That moment in a championship run just highlights his level of incompetence. So seriously!!!

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
No its about coaches who are lifetime underachievers, are gifted with super teams, or on teams that luck into a poll championship winning titles they have no business winning. Llyod Carr won a miracle championship by his standards just like Chizik. Llyod Carr is just a more stupid coach with less competition than Chizik. So edge goes to Carr being the worst based on circumstances. That moment in a championship run just highlights his level of incompetence. So seriously!!!
But you based your argument on a single moment, thus contradicting yourself in this very post.

Chizik was a 5-19 coach and hired to an SEC football program. The statements made by his players at ISU even make it more inexplicable about awbern hiring him. His credentials for the hire totally make his hire one of the most puzzling in history. Chizik was TOTALLY clueless... :cool2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But you based your argument on a single moment, thus contradicting yourself in this very post.
Im not basing it on a single moment. It just highlights what we are working with. Carr's career is highlighted by numerous highly talented teams that should atleast play for a national championship only to suffer from his incompetence. Last time I checked, Chizik only had one team that was capable of winning a championship from the start of the season, and he made the most of it while playing in the toughest subdivision of football, with the best players, and best coaches. He wasn't playing paper tigers.

Chizik was a 5-19 coach and hired to an SEC football program.

Yeah and Alabama hired a 27-45-1 coach with one winning season at a more premier college, and hadn't been in college football in 19 years over Bobby Bowden.

His credentials for the hire totally make his hire one of the most puzzling in history.

Not really. Chizik was an accomplished defensive mind, and more of a team player than Tubberville. Auburn was always going to hire an Auburn man to replace Tubberville. Basically they were looking for someone that Lowder and Dye could get along with

Yes, but So was Carr, but Chizik never handcuffed himself to make a championship needlessly more in doubt than it was already.

Chizik was a mediocre head coach, and Carr was an average on. But plain and simple, Carr had far more talented teams that should've been in national championship discussions than underachieved than Chizik ever had in national championship talk period. Chizik coached to his limitations and won with his only really good team, while Carr often coached well below his limitations, and lucked into one. We are basically talking about a lucky Dubose vs Chizik, one underachieves (Dubose) while the other over achieves (Chizik). I usually side with the overachiever than the underachiever unless there are multiple championships involved (Erickson). But circumstances are everything. Had Chizik been a Michigan from 95-07 then he probably has atleast Carr's record, and Carr probably was the whooping dog at Auburn.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Im not basing it on a single moment. It just highlights what we are working with. Carr's career is highlighted by numerous highly talented teams that should atleast play for a national championship only to suffer from his incompetence. Last time I checked, Chizik only had one team that was capable of winning a championship from the start of the season, and he made the most of it while playing in the toughest subdivision of football, with the best players, and best coaches. He wasn't playing paper tigers.

Yeah and Alabama hired a 27-45-1 coach with one winning season at a more premier college, and hadn't been in college football in 19 years over Bobby Bowden.

Not really. Chizik was an accomplished defensive mind, and more of a team player than Tubberville. Auburn was always going to hire an Auburn man to replace Tubberville. Basically they were looking for someone that Lowder and Dye could get along with

Yes, but So was Carr, but Chizik never handcuffed himself to make a championship needlessly more in doubt than it was already.

Chizik was a mediocre head coach, and Carr was an average on. But plain and simple, Carr had far more talented teams that should've been in national championship discussions than underachieved than Chizik ever had in national championship talk period. Chizik coached to his limitations and won with his only really good team, while Carr often coached well below his limitations, and lucked into one. We are basically talking about a lucky Dubose vs Chizik, one underachieves (Dubose) while the other over achieves (Chizik). I usually side with the overachiever than the underachiever unless there are multiple championships involved (Erickson). But circumstances are everything. Had Chizik been a Michigan from 95-07 then he probably has atleast Carr's record, and Carr probably was the whooping dog at Auburn.
Would you mind waving across the office to Dub for me...? :biggrin2:

Seriously?!? That's comparing Apples and Roller Skates... :cool2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Seriously?!? That's comparing Apples and Roller Skates... :cool2:
If you were more excited than an Auburn fan getting Chizik when they announced Alabama was getting Stallings then you were one of the few. Most thought we struck out, and were getting worse than or equal to Curry.

But I think we are done with talking about the topic of Carr vs Chizik. I think Carr, you think Chizik. That's fine. RTR

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
First, let's set some parameters - how about that?

1) Has to be from the time of the first AP poll in 1936?

I mean, you could probably find a slug or two that won one back in the day when there were multiple titles.

2) Has to be either the AP, UPI, BCS, or CFBP national championship

3) You have to decide what role being a success in the NFL raises or lowers the pedigree.

Now let's decide potential candidates......

Paul Dietzel, 1959 LSU - career record of 109-95-5; subtract his title winning year and he's 98-95-5.
Johnny Majors, 1976 Pitt
John Robinson, 1978 USC (132-77-4 in college - .629; 7 games above .500 in the NFL)
Howard Schnellenberger, 1983 Miami (158-151-3 in college; 4-13 in the NFL)
Dennis Erickson, 1989 and 1991 Miami (49-34-1 in FBS everywhere else; 63-9 at Miami)
Bobby Ross, 1990 Ga Tech (103-101-2, 4-2 in bowls, 77-68 with a lost SB in NFL)
Lloyd Carr, 1997 Michigan (122-40, six seasons of double digit wins or eight seasons of 3 or more losses if you prefer)
Gene Chizik, 2010 Auburn (38-38 at ISU and the Barn)

==========================

I guess the most amazing thing is that 1976 Pitt may as well be 1984 BYU, quite frankly. Any of you actually LOOK at their schedule?

Basically, they crushed overrated Notre Dame in the opener. The Irish were 11th, got beat and fell out of the poll (which tells you Pitt wasn't "really" thought that well of), and Pitt vaulted all the way to 3.....and then didn't lose the rest of the way because (quite frankly) they didn't play anyone worth a damn until they got #16 Penn St in the finale and then #5 UGA in the Sugar Bowl.

Even then, Pitt was only #1 because Bo Schembechler (again!) lost the game that mattered, 16-14 to 3-5 Purdue.

NINE of their opponents had five or fewer wins, six had FOUR or fewer wins....and UGA won the SEC mostly because Alabama was in their sole actual "rebuilding" year of the 1970s that year.

I'm just saying that while not taking anything away from Pitt, it's a fluke national championship. If Michigan goes unbeaten and so does Pitt - who do you think wins the title? In fact, USC basically made that argument. Problem was that USC had lost to 6-5 Missouri (in a similar circumstance to 1975 Alabama - the opening game) by three TDs.

It might be an argument against Majors - since Tennessee brought him home under the delusion he was going to win a national championship in Knoxville.

At this point, however, I'd take Chizik. Majors DID build Pitt from a horror show, even if he did have a light path to travel in 1976 (and he DID still have to win the games).

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If you were more excited than an Auburn fan getting Chizik when they announced Alabama was getting Stallings then you were one of the few. Most thought we struck out, and were getting worse than or equal to Curry.

But I think we are done with talking about the topic of Carr vs Chizik. I think Carr, you think Chizik. That's fine. RTR
I thought so...

You are an awbern fan!

Just wanted it to be clear who your allegiances are with. :cool2:

Yes, this is about discussing and giving opinions... and yours are interesting.

The poll results so far are not surprising. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you were more excited than an Auburn fan getting Chizik (a very unpopular Auburn hire in 2009 by Auburn fans) when they announced Alabama was getting Stallings (A very unpopular Alabama hire in 1990) then you were one of the few. Most thought we (Alabama fans) struck out (about 1990 Alabama hire), and were getting worse than or equal to Curry (Alabama coach that the fanbase mostly hated because he couldn't beat auburn)

I thought so...

You are an awbern fan!

Just wanted it to be clear who your allegiances are with. :cool2:

Yes, this is about discussing and giving opinions... and yours are interesting.
I added to my post about the hiring of Coach Stallings just for you to properly follow along.
Try again Blue Steel :biggrin2:​

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just scrolled through that 2012 thread. Man there were a lot of posters who are no longer either with us or just don't post anymore. Wonder whatever happened to Tommy Mac, he was one of my all time favorites. I would probably have to cast my vote for Chizik, he did nothing before of after the 2010 NC as a head coach.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Check the thread topic, Sport...

Seeing how I started the thread I would think I am fully aware what the topic is...

This is yet another time you cant read context, or you are too lazy to put forth the effort to.

It has to be Chizik. He umm, acquired one of the top college quarterbacks of all time. He was at an SEC football power during the height of the SEC west's football dominance.

Dan Mullen had a top college quarterback in 2014 that is close to or better than Cam Newton, had a far better defense than that Auburn defense, and had to go through the weakest SEC season since 2006.

Most would agree than Mullen is a better coach than Chizik, but he did some remarkably stupid things in 2014 to cost himself a playoff berth. (Wow would you look at that)

At some point you have to make the most of the cards you are dealt, and Chizik did what many better coaches did and that was win a national championship in the premier division in football, and go undefeated also. 2010 Auburn had 2 players worth a darn, and didn't choke.
I don't think that is any indication that I said Dan Mullen ever won a national championship. Its more of an argument of how hard it is to win national championships in the SEC even when things are set in your favor.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.