Danny Sheridan on Finebaum (his thoughts)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In all of those games we could not control the line of scrimmage to get first downs and control the clock. You can add personal opinion if you like, but my statement is still fact. Furthermore, I do not hate our offense now. I like being able to pass the ball effectively. I just don't want to be like most teams who start to pass the ball all over the place. They always think their offense is unstoppable, and they start to get complacent because things look easy. End result? They get beat when some team smacks them in the mouth and makes things tough. I want us to regain our toughness and still utilize our great ability at QB and the skill positions. That is all.
It’s kinda hard to control the line of scrimmage when there are 8 guys on it facing 5-6 guys. Hurts inability to throw the ball was the de facto reason we lost. If we had Coker, Sims, or Tua we beat Clemson by 14-21 points in 2016.

2 out of 3 of those games have a common denominator. Jalen Hurts going against a defense capable of stacking the box because they have great athletes on defense and a quarterback that can give our defense fits.

Last edited:

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
There is a lot of ball to be played between the start of the season and the SEC Championship. Injuries play a big part on either side and cant be predicted at this stage. But here is my quick analysis:

We have loads of talent
We have Nick Saban as HC

UGA has loads of talent
UGA has Fourth and Kirby as HC

Going with Bama on this one if they meet in the SEC championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I will not predict for Georgia to win the national championship even as a Georgia fan. There is way too much football to play and way too many injuries that could take place over the next several months to make a prediction like that.

From a Georgia fan, my biggest concern is our offensive coordinator. Coley had a very sub par performance while he was at Miami and did not have full responsibility of play calling while at FSU. If Georgia has a problem, it will be here. The opening game of the season against Vanderbilt will tell me a lot. If Georgia can not core 45-55 on Vanderbilt to open the season, then I will already know. As far as the receivers go, they are not of as much concern and I truly believe they will be fine... especially by the end of the season

Talent wise: Alabama and Georgia are on a different level than any other programs at this time with Ohio state a close 3rd. Sheridan said the teams that can win the national championship in his eyes are: Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan.

Also, I understand the comments of from Bama fans of laughing off Georgia... but in the last 2 match-ups Georgia should have proven that they can go toe to toe with Alabama (at this time). Regardless of the outcome, these games have been slug-fest games that were nail-biters up until the very end. The games have been very enjoyable to watch

I wont predict Georgia to beat Alabama or for Alabama to beat Georgia... but I would predict another good match up!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The 3 programs in the SEC that I would never laugh off are, Georgia, Auburn, and LSU. Maybe not this year but in another year or two you can add TAMU to that list. I agree with your comment on teams that are on another level talent wise, not sure about Michigan being in that list, but they do have a load of talent. I thought the 2017 UGA team was better than last year's and probably should have beaten Alabama in the NC game. It is a long season and anything can happen, but I expect Alabama and Georgia to square off again in Atlanta.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I will not predict for Georgia to win the national championship even as a Georgia fan. There is way too much football to play and way too many injuries that could take place over the next several months to make a prediction like that.

From a Georgia fan, my biggest concern is our offensive coordinator. Coley had a very sub par performance while he was at Miami and did not have full responsibility of play calling while at FSU. If Georgia has a problem, it will be here. The opening game of the season against Vanderbilt will tell me a lot. If Georgia can not core 45-55 on Vanderbilt to open the season, then I will already know. As far as the receivers go, they are not of as much concern and I truly believe they will be fine... especially by the end of the season

Talent wise: Alabama and Georgia are on a different level than any other programs at this time with Ohio state a close 3rd. Sheridan said the teams that can win the national championship in his eyes are: Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan.

Also, I understand the comments of from Bama fans of laughing off Georgia... but in the last 2 match-ups Georgia should have proven that they can go toe to toe with Alabama (at this time). Regardless of the outcome, these games have been slug-fest games that were nail-biters up until the very end. The games have been very enjoyable to watch

I wont predict Georgia to beat Alabama or for Alabama to beat Georgia... but I would predict another good match up!!!
What Georgia is starting to develop though that can’t be under estimated is the belief that no matter how good they are.....they just can’t beat Bama. It’s in their heads. And it’s growing.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
What Georgia is starting to develop though that can’t be under estimated is the belief that no matter how good they are.....they just can’t beat Bama. It’s in their heads. And it’s growing.
If that is what you want to believe, then that’s fine

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Because on a Bama board we should be afraid? Yes we want to believe that!!! ...and Twelveessee will become Twentyessee (long gap!!!)...and L8U will become L9U...etc...Yep, on a Bama board we expect to win and dominate our opponents...and rent space in their heads...shocker!!!

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I don`t know that anybody on this board would or should be " laughing off Georgia ".

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
my exact thoughts!

I too believe the eventual NC will come from Alabama, Georgia or Clemson. No doubt Clemson has the easiest path to the Championship Playoff being in the ACC with no competition at the level of LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia or Alabama. My concern is on the defensive side of the ball and depth at RB. I will probably catch some flack from this, but our defense has not been up to CNS's standards in several years. I think this is attributable to coaching turnover, an outlandish number of injuries to defensive players, not to mention the number of great defenders leaving for the NFL.

While the offense is putting up unheard of numbers, it, IMO is too reliant on the quick strike scoring which puts added pressure on the defense. I would like to see the running game become a bigger part of the offense. If the defense plays like the 2011-2012 defenses then we will be in the playoffs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In all of those games we could not control the line of scrimmage to get first downs and control the clock. You can add personal opinion if you like, but my statement is still fact. Furthermore, I do not hate our offense now. I like being able to pass the ball effectively. I just don't want to be like most teams who start to pass the ball all over the place. They always think their offense is unstoppable, and they start to get complacent because things look easy. End result? They get beat when some team smacks them in the mouth and makes things tough. I want us to regain our toughness and still utilize our great ability at QB and the skill positions. That is all.
I have come to the conclusion this isn't an easy thing for teams to do. It sounds great in theory, but to be "tough" at the line of scrimmage you have to do the the things that make you tough. Which is running the ball a lot. I think when teams pass the ball a lot, the OL gets used to the lack of having to be "physical" as you have to be in the running game. Then when the team needs to ground and pound it isn't as easy as "flipping a switch" and becoming a "ground and pound" OL. They've been conditioned to the less physical pass blocking. Again, I don't think it's as easy as we many times make it out to be.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can't speak for the players or coaches, but the fans feel that way. It is clear from the social media reactions to the losses to Alabama. GA fans, by and large, have come to expect disappointment when their team faces Alabama in a big game. Heck, I would extend that to say that GA fans of every franchise have come to expect their team to disappoint them in every big game that they play.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have come to the conclusion this isn't an easy thing for teams to do. It sounds great in theory, but to be "tough" at the line of scrimmage you have to do the the things that make you tough. Which is running the ball a lot. I think when teams pass the ball a lot, the OL gets used to the lack of having to be "physical" as you have to be in the running game. Then when the team needs to ground and pound it isn't as easy as "flipping a switch" and becoming a "ground and pound" OL. They've been conditioned to the less physical pass blocking. Again, I don't think it's as easy as we many times make it out to be.
This is 100% true and it is also true in the NFL. You either commit to the run the entire season, or you will not be able to run when you need to do so.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I have to listen to Gamecock and Clemson fans as they have both got us in past matches. Im tired. We need to smoke both gamecocks and clemson this year. I need revenge so they all shut it. rtr
USCe fans still bringing up a game from what, nine years ago!? Well, that pretty much speaks for itself. As for Clemson, this is their " glory years " . They`ve never won enough in the past to learn how to do it with grace or to know the meaning of " Act like you`ve been there before " as Coach Bryant used to say.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
USCe fans still bringing up a game from what, nine years ago!? Well, that pretty much speaks for itself. As for Clemson, this is their " glory years " . They`ve never won enough in the past to learn how to do it with grace or to know the meaning of " Act like you`ve been there before " as Coach Bryant used to say.
I agree that younger Clemson fans have never had anything to cheer about, but Clemson put together a very solid program in the 80s. I can still remember that 1981 team that won the championship. They played a lot of great teams to win that one, including the Hershel Walker GA team.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
yes my buddies and relatives remind me all the time. Heck my principal at the school I teach at changed his garage code to the score. its unreal how SCAR AND CLEM drive me crazy. Im the only bama fan here in my area. Luckily we have a young man playing for Bama. Im hoping to see him on the field more this year. He played special teams last year. roll tide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it's a good observation that it's hard to be both "quick strike" and "grind it out" and to go back and forth between the two.

That said, I never consider it a "problem" if our offense scores a quick TD. 7 is never a bad thing, even if you turn around and your defense gives up a quick 7...you are no worse off.

I will say that I hope this unprecedented O-line class will show us we can become both a quick strike (which I know is already true) but also a grind it out team. Largely, it's on them to make this happen.

And based on Sarks USC teams, I think we have an OC that can make this happen.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think it's a good observation that it's hard to be both "quick strike" and "grind it out" and to go back and forth between the two.

That said, I never consider it a "problem" if our offense scores a quick TD. 7 is never a bad thing, even if you turn around and your defense gives up a quick 7...you are no worse off.

I will say that I hope this unprecedented O-line class will show us we can become both a quick strike (which I know is already true) but also a grind it out team. Largely, it's on them to make this happen.

And based on Sarks USC teams, I think we have an OC that can make this happen.
Score fast early when your defense is fresh
Grind it out late....when they are gassed

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.