Danny Sheridan on Finebaum (his thoughts)

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Danny and Paul, what a couple of goofs man. On paper, Alabama, UGA and Clemson are the best teams but you cannot predict injuries or heart. Heck, Utah could be your national champion this year...just way too early. Preseason predictions and the Finebaum Show...sprinkle in Sheridan and you got comedy central.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If anyone outside of Georgia, Clemson or Alabama win the National Championship this year I'd be absolutely shocked. I'd be willing to put all my money on one of those 3 winning it.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
4. Believes Georgia will beat both Clemson and Alabama? What Georgia fan doesn't agree with his belief at the start of the season? ;)
Is he saying they will beat Alabama twice or that Alabama will be left out of the playoff? If Alabama only has one loss and it is in the SEC championship game I don't see how they would be left out of the playoffs. Also, unless they face and lose to Clemson in the semifinal game I don't see Georgia beating them twice in the same season.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I could see it happening. They are hungry and very talented, and it took late 4th qtr heroics for us to beat them in the last two contests. Its certainly not an outrageous prediction. Danny also has a pretty good track record.
I agree Danny has a good track record and his reasoning is good at this point. As some have stated above, it is preseason and the season has to play out. Surprise developments, injuries and upsets can shape the season. That is the beauty of college football.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think UGA had a better shot of winning with the 2017 team than they do this year. Not saying that they can't ... it's just more things have to go right for them this year than not.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think UGA had a better shot of winning with the 2017 team than they do this year. Not saying that they can't ... it's just more things have to go right for them this year than not.
I agree - Fromm is a great QB, and their defense will be fine, but their offensive skill players lack experience relative to the teams of 2017 & 2018.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I can't imagine living there now and having to hear them. Every year I was there I heard the same thing "Georgia supposed to be good this year."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama has a lot of questions in the middle of the defense, so I can buy being cautious about Alabama v. Georgia. This is a watershed year for Smart so he better cash it in or I fear the same dissent that ended Richt will start on him.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Alabama has a lot of questions in the middle of the defense, so I can buy being cautious about Alabama v. Georgia. This is a watershed year for Smart so he better cash it in or I fear the same dissent that ended Richt will start on him.
I too believe the eventual NC will come from Alabama, Georgia or Clemson. No doubt Clemson has the easiest path to the Championship Playoff being in the ACC with no competition at the level of LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia or Alabama. My concern is on the defensive side of the ball and depth at RB. I will probably catch some flack from this, but our defense has not been up to CNS's standards in several years. I think this is attributable to coaching turnover, an outlandish number of injuries to defensive players, not to mention the number of great defenders leaving for the NFL.

While the offense is putting up unheard of numbers, it, IMO is too reliant on the quick strike scoring which puts added pressure on the defense. I would like to see the running game become a bigger part of the offense. If the defense plays like the 2011-2012 defenses then we will be in the playoffs.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought the 2016 and 2017 defenses were fantastic. The 2017 unit was hamstrung by injuries at OLB but that was a nasty unit that basically only faltered in one game where Jalen Hurts barely threw for over 100 yards.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
If we can stay healthy at linebacker and develop some players there, this team is downright scary. The O-line is going to be really good and a team that has the best o-line can dominate time of procession and limit the other teams ability to score simply because they will have fewer opportunities. Then we may have the best QB we have ever had and a cast of receivers that the 1st 4 or 5 will be playing on Sunday's barring injury. RB is my question mark of offense. I am not sold on Harris, and think Robinson may eventually beat him out. Depth is an issue at RB as well. The D-line should be good as well and the secondary should be really good. Pass rush has been an issue in the past and keeping Terrell Hall on the field is critical. If you look up and down the roster, this may be the most talented team Saban has had at Alabama.
I believe we will be in New Orleans when all is said and done with the trophy on our shoulders.. As always, this is assuming we can go without critical injuries.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I too believe the eventual NC will come from Alabama, Georgia or Clemson. No doubt Clemson has the easiest path to the Championship Playoff being in the ACC with no competition at the level of LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia or Alabama. My concern is on the defensive side of the ball and depth at RB. I will probably catch some flack from this, but our defense has not been up to CNS's standards in several years. I think this is attributable to coaching turnover, an outlandish number of injuries to defensive players, not to mention the number of great defenders leaving for the NFL.

While the offense is putting up unheard of numbers, it, IMO is too reliant on the quick strike scoring which puts added pressure on the defense. I would like to see the running game become a bigger part of the offense. If the defense plays like the 2011-2012 defenses then we will be in the playoffs.
We must also note that the quick strike offenses have put our defense on the field for longer periods of time -- having to defend that many more plays. Not making excuses here, but there's a big difference between have to defend 55 plays and 85...huge.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We must also note that the quick strike offenses have put our defense on the field for longer periods of time -- having to defend that many more plays. Not making excuses here, but there's a big difference between have to defend 55 plays and 85...huge.
Yes, everyone loves when we toss it around and make things look easy, but we've lost twice to Clemson and once to Auburn in the last three years because we couldn't stay on the field to rest the defense, and that caused the D to be exhausted. I want our offense to control the line of scrimmage with the run game, but still take advantage of the huge amount of talent at QB and WR. I would rather see Harris and Robinson each get 1000 yards than two receivers get 1000 yards. Of course, I'll take it if we get both. 😀

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes, everyone loves when we toss it around and make things look easy, but we've lost twice to Clemson and once to Auburn in the last three years because we couldn't stay on the field to rest the defense, 
- We lost to Clemson in 2016 because we COULDNT toss the ball

- We lost to Auburn in 2017 because of a massive injury bug

- We lost to Clemson in 2018 because we weren't focused

I really think folks are starting to overhype our defense and trying to bash the 2014-present offense because it isn't the traditional Alabama offense.

I want our offense to control the line of scrimmage with the run game, but still take advantage of the huge amount of talent at QB and WR. I would rather see Harris and Robinson each get 1000 yards than two receivers get 1000 yards. Of course, I'll take it if we get both. 
We have the Offensive line to do it, but we might not have the runningback depth to have two 1k rushers. From what folks who attend the spring and fall practices through TEC have said repeatedly that Robinson is the best running back we have, Najee is talented but doesn't hit the hole, and the rest are very raw and inexperienced. Trey Sanders going down was a huge blow to depth. These were the same people saying Damien was going to be the #1 over Bo when just about every newspaper writer and average fan thought it was the opposite. You can take it with a grain of salt but these people usually are right for the past 4 years.

But given Sark's past, I would think Tua is still going to the horse that gets us where we want to go. So we probably will have a far more conservative offense than what we did last year, but its probably going to more resemble 2014 and 2015 more than 2008-13 is my guess.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If we stay healthy, we’re beating everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
- We lost to Clemson in 2016 because we COULDNT toss the ball

- We lost to Auburn in 2017 because of a massive injury bug

- We lost to Clemson in 2018 because we weren't focused

I really think folks are starting to overhype our defense and trying to bash the 2014-present offense because it isn't the traditional Alabama offense.

We have the Offensive line to do it, but we might not have the runningback depth to have two 1k rushers. From what folks who attend the spring and fall practices through TEC have said repeatedly that Robinson is the best running back we have, Najee is talented but doesn't hit the hole, and the rest are very raw and inexperienced. Trey Sanders going down was a huge blow to depth. These were the same people saying Damien was going to be the #1 over Bo when just about every newspaper writer and average fan thought it was the opposite. You can take it with a grain of salt but these people usually are right for the past 4 years.

But given Sark's past, I would think Tua is still going to the horse that gets us where we want to go. So we probably will have a far more conservative offense than what we did last year, but its probably going to more resemble 2014 and 2015 more than 2008-13 is my guess.
In all of those games we could not control the line of scrimmage to get first downs and control the clock. You can add personal opinion if you like, but my statement is still fact. Furthermore, I do not hate our offense now. I like being able to pass the ball effectively. I just don't want to be like most teams who start to pass the ball all over the place. They always think their offense is unstoppable, and they start to get complacent because things look easy. End result? They get beat when some team smacks them in the mouth and makes things tough. I want us to regain our toughness and still utilize our great ability at QB and the skill positions. That is all.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I agree about the defense, gray. I think
Weve got the talent, the question is will our coaching staff be an Upgrade over last years group that was evidently not fully engaged with the players and more interested in using their time with us to get better jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.