Danny Sheridan on Finebaum (his thoughts)

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
yes my buddies and relatives remind me all the time. Heck my principal at the school I teach at changed his garage code to the score. its unreal how SCAR AND CLEM drive me crazy. Im the only bama fan here in my area. Luckily we have a young man playing for Bama. Im hoping to see him on the field more this year. He played special teams last year. roll tide
Hey man, I'm in Myrtle Beach (Forestbrook, actually)--there are a few of us around! :) There was even a Bama viewing club a while back.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You may be confusing "desire" with "expectations" --

I have no doubt that they desire to win -- but I do doubt that they expect to....
The proof is in the pudding. I'm blurring the line between the fans and the team here, but Kirby has wet the bed each time he's faced Nick Saban so far. He's proven he knows how to recruit talent, and get them motivated to play us. But not beat us. We've come through in the end, both times, after largely being outplayed for a good portion of both games. They were better prepared to start, but not finish. Young padawan still has very much to learn, it seems.

So, I'll make fun of them for as long as I can. Life is short. I'm enjoying this to its fullest.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I may be wearing crimson glasses but I think this will be a better team than 2018 in all phases.

As for Georgia, I'm not sold on Fromm. I've seen him play well and very badly in the same game and not just against us. They better hope their receivers develop because in the past receivers have bailed Fromm out on big plays. What do they have behind Swift? We know what a beating a bell cow running back can endure in the SEC.

Clemson I don't see getting past round 1 in a NCG. You can't replace what they lost on defense I don't care who you are.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have come to the conclusion this isn't an easy thing for teams to do. It sounds great in theory, but to be "tough" at the line of scrimmage you have to do the the things that make you tough. Which is running the ball a lot. I think when teams pass the ball a lot, the OL gets used to the lack of having to be "physical" as you have to be in the running game. Then when the team needs to ground and pound it isn't as easy as "flipping a switch" and becoming a "ground and pound" OL. They've been conditioned to the less physical pass blocking. Again, I don't think it's as easy as we many times make it out to be.
This is absolutely spot on. If you watch Bama game videos from the Wishbone era you will see atrocious pass blocking, but those OLines could blow gaping holes in any team's defense.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
How would you like to be Jawja and realize that in your last four games against Alabama, THREE times you've blown double digit second half leads - and the other time you were 21 points behind going into halftime?
I wouldn’t like it. But I would use it as extra incentive to finally beat us. You know they are chomping at the bit for the opportunity.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have come to the conclusion this isn't an easy thing for teams to do. It sounds great in theory, but to be "tough" at the line of scrimmage you have to do the the things that make you tough. Which is running the ball a lot. I think when teams pass the ball a lot, the OL gets used to the lack of having to be "physical" as you have to be in the running game. Then when the team needs to ground and pound it isn't as easy as "flipping a switch" and becoming a "ground and pound" OL. They've been conditioned to the less physical pass blocking. Again, I don't think it's as easy as we many times make it out to be.
Oh, I agree with you and don't pretend it is easy. I don't know if it is even possible, but it is what I would like. 😄 Both styles of play have different mindsets. I love seeing us air it out and utilizing great skill and taking advantage of rule changes that don't allow as much physical play. However, I've just seen so many games in my time when the tougher team beats the "unstoppable passing attack" team. I hope we are able to find a good balance that scores plenty but also helps the defense with some ball control. Who knows, we may pull it off perfectly. Roll Tide!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wouldn’t like it. But I would use it as extra incentive to finally beat us. You know they are chomping at the bit for the opportunity.
Ask the Steelers if they want to see the Patriots in the playoffs, and how much incentive and motivation has helped them in those matchups.

The problem is needing extra “motivation” to win championship games is usually a sign that a team believes they are in some way inferior to their opponent. Doubt and fatigue start to plague that team if they don’t knock that team out early.

I know a lot of people will say 2009 Florida and 2011 round II LSU, but in neither case was Alabama believing they were inferior. Alabama learned, adapted, and overcame their mistakes from the previous matchups and didn’t let their opponents breathe. Georgia made the same mistakes they did in the first matchup and was unwilling to step on Alabama’s throat when they had a chance.

Point is, until Georgia actually learns from their mistakes and believes they can beat Alabama instead of saying they can, then Georgia will continue to be on par with LSU in terms of the beating Alabama business.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I also think you have to recruit the guys with the right mindset. I played against plenty of good OLmen, but few had the mean streak to want to drive me into the ground when they could.

That was one thing we had in the 2012 line - an OL that was full of dudes with mean streaks. They didn't want to beat you on the play, they wanted to embarrass you, to drive you 20 yards down field on EVERY PLAY.

Not sure we've had many guys with that same mean streak in a while.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.