Elevator crushes man in New York - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: Elevator crushes man in New York

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Knowing NYC as I do, somebody probably bought off the elevator inspector...
    That would not surprise me.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

When I was a kid I went to downtown Birmingham with my grandmother. We went to the Lovemans department store that had an escalator. My grandmother wouldn't get on it because she thought it would suck her through either end if she rode it. I think about that every time I've ever been on one. I take the stairs when available.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    I think there was one but its been a while since Ive seen that episode. They did prove that trying to jump right before it hits is...well...useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While waiting on my clothes, I used to sit there and muse about what would happen if the elevator did break and fall from my 16th floor. How far would it rebound and how many times would it bounce before it settled in the basement. What it would do to your knees, etc. When you're studying tax law all day long, you take your amusement where you can find it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

While waiting on my clothes, I used to sit there and muse about what would happen if the elevator did break and fall from my 16th floor. How far would it rebound and how many times would it bounce before it settled in the basement. What it would do to your knees, etc. When you're studying tax law all day long, you take your amusement where you can find it...
    You wouldn't have to worry about your knees ... or anything else for that matter. It would be like getting hit by a vehicle at 100 mph that then throws you into a concrete wall and hoping the crush bumper would help.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    You wouldn't have to worry about your knees ... or anything else for that matter. It would be like getting hit by a vehicle at 100 mph that then throws you into a concrete wall and hoping the crush bumper would help.
    Did you read my post above about the giant coil spring in the basement of my apartment building? There's no doubt it would cushion the impact, at least some. After that...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Most traction elevators have oil buffers with spring buffers located in the pit while the hydraulic and slower traction elevators may just have spring buffers. Traction elevators also have a bi-directional overspeed governor that activates brakes along the rails of the elevator and traction elevators have counter weights. So, unless it is a freak total accident that severs the cables on a traction elevator, the car will be braked or if only a short fall, the buffers will not be required to stop an extremely fast moving elevator. Hydraulic elevators are commonly used on building up to around 6 stories.
    Last edited by day-day; August 26th, 2019 at 10:57 AM.

BamaNation All-American

Did you read my post above about the giant coil spring in the basement of my apartment building? There's no doubt it would cushion the impact, at least some. After that...
    I was looking at this from the point of view of a human body traveling 100 mph'ish inside of a steel box and decelerating to zero in a fraction of a fraction of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by G-VilleTider View Post
    I was looking at this from the point of view of a human body traveling 100 mph'ish inside of a steel box and decelerating to zero in a fraction of a fraction of a second.
    True. The spring would only slow the descent at the last fraction of a second, which is why it always looked useless to me. However, the fact that it was there would indicate, along with the age of the building, that there was no braking or other safety mechanism. I think the building was built in 1933 and Eleanor Roosevelt had once occupied the penthouse...