Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In the apartment building I lived in, in New York City, the laundry room was in the basement. For some reason, the elevator ended on the first floor and you had to walk down. The elevator bay was open, no door or anything. Mounted on the floor was a gigantic coil spring, for all the world like the one in the bottom of a flashlight, except that the steel spring itself was around 4" in diameter, and the diameter of the whole contraption was probably 6-7'. I've never been able to figure out what good it would do, but it would have been one hell of a ride...

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In the apartment building I lived in, in New York City, the laundry room was in the basement. For some reason, the elevator ended on the first floor and you had to walk down. The elevator bay was open, no door or anything. Mounted on the floor was a gigantic coil spring, for all the world like the one in the bottom of a flashlight, except that the steel spring itself was around 4" in diameter, and the diameter of the whole contraption was probably 6-7'. I've never been able to figure out what good it would do, but it would have been one hell of a ride...
it probably would have looked something like this

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'll take my chances in the elevator of my apartment building. I'm disabled, and live 10 stories up. In case of fire, I just hope the fire truck has a ladder to reach my balcony.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Of the people on the elevator he sure did pull the short straw. It was three left on the elevator when it happened. I bet it makes them extremely gun shy.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Mythbusters did an early episode on falling elevators. It wasn’t pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Did they include a giant coil spring in the basement like in my apartment house?
I think there was one but it’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode. They did prove that trying to jump right before it hits is...well...useless.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When I was a kid I went to downtown Birmingham with my grandmother. We went to the Lovemans department store that had an escalator. My grandmother wouldn't get on it because she thought it would suck her through either end if she rode it. I think about that every time I've ever been on one. I take the stairs when available.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think there was one but it’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode. They did prove that trying to jump right before it hits is...well...useless.

While waiting on my clothes, I used to sit there and muse about what would happen if the elevator did break and fall from my 16th floor. How far would it rebound and how many times would it bounce before it settled in the basement. What it would do to your knees, etc. When you're studying tax law all day long, you take your amusement where you can find it...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
While waiting on my clothes, I used to sit there and muse about what would happen if the elevator did break and fall from my 16th floor. How far would it rebound and how many times would it bounce before it settled in the basement. What it would do to your knees, etc. When you're studying tax law all day long, you take your amusement where you can find it...
You wouldn't have to worry about your knees ... or anything else for that matter. It would be like getting hit by a vehicle at 100 mph that then throws you into a concrete wall and hoping the crush bumper would help.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You wouldn't have to worry about your knees ... or anything else for that matter. It would be like getting hit by a vehicle at 100 mph that then throws you into a concrete wall and hoping the crush bumper would help.
Did you read my post above about the giant coil spring in the basement of my apartment building? There's no doubt it would cushion the impact, at least some. After that...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Most traction elevators have oil buffers with spring buffers located in the pit while the hydraulic and slower traction elevators may just have spring buffers. Traction elevators also have a bi-directional overspeed governor that activates brakes along the rails of the elevator and traction elevators have counter weights. So, unless it is a freak total accident that severs the cables on a traction elevator, the car will be braked or if only a short fall, the buffers will not be required to stop an extremely fast moving elevator. Hydraulic elevators are commonly used on building up to around 6 stories.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Did you read my post above about the giant coil spring in the basement of my apartment building? There's no doubt it would cushion the impact, at least some. After that...
I was looking at this from the point of view of a human body traveling 100 mph'ish inside of a steel box and decelerating to zero in a fraction of a fraction of a second.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.