Game Thread: Gators vs. Canes - 7pm (ET), ESPN - TONIGHT!

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Congrats on the win...
Criticism...
I expected better play out of Florida.
Florida needs to work on tackling.
Florida needs a QB, not a media star. Way too much 'Showboat' to suit my fancy.
I thought Florida was supposed to have a running game this year... If so it was hidden.
Lastly... Penalities danged near killed you, especially near the end of the game.
Florida won because Miami didn't. It was there for them, but they squandered the gifts Florida kept giving them.
All in all the best team won.
Again congrats on the win...
A bad winning performance is never as bad as a bad losing performance.
A win is a win is a win.
Time to buckle down and work on the game.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Franks is not the answer for UF to win the east. No way they beat Georgia unless he has a Stephen Garcia Bama game against them.

If I'm Mullen, I'd use Franks much more as a runner and I'd challenge my offensive line to control games with running the ball. But UF is not going anywhere with that type of play calling.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Play calling was very suspect at times.
Franks (as has been previously noted) needs to work on his game and not worry about working on the fans. Play a good game and the fans will respond.
I think (mho) that alot of the mistakes were due to UF being too hyped up and playing out of control instead of playing within themselves (coaching has a bit to do with this).
Hopefully UF can clean things up and have a good season.
Dan Mullen better find a better qb and put a little more emphasis on S&C.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
[SIZE=+1]First and foremost.......give Miami credit for fielding a talented team that gave Florida all they could handle and then some last night. Much credit to the Hurricane coaching staff - especially Manny Diaz and Brian Enos. Their freshman QB Darren Williams did not look at all like a freshman starting his first game. In fact, an argument could easily be made that he demonstrated more poise than 3rd year QB Feleipe Franks.

As for Florida - they won and are 1-0. That's the best thing I can say about them. They persevered through 4 turnovers which put the defense on the field for 13 minutes more than the Miami defense in triple digit heat index conditions. That's almost a whole quarter!

Florida's offense and defense both made mistakes --- but those 4 turnovers had the biggest impact on the outcome of the game.

I also feel the play calling was a bit suspect at times. Why didn't we go back to Toney in the game? Why not stretch the field with all the talent we have in our WR group? Puzzling. I can only surmise that Coach Mullen was trying to work around the mental shortcomings of Franks.

[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Can't help but feel the 10 sacks last night wouldn't have happened if not for [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]the transfer LB Jonathan Greenard #58[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]. He was simply amazing.

Ultimately what happens the rest of the season with this team depends on one person - Feleipe Franks. And to some degree Coach Mullen for how he handles that position.

Franks has a ton of physical ability - but where he falls short is between the ears. I wonder if he'll ever be the kind of QB that could take his team to the playoffs. Based on what I saw last night - clearly the answer is no.

Gritty season opener with an in state rival at a neutral site in triple digit heat index night --- and we got the win.

It wasn't the domination win I was hoping for but happy to start the season off 1-0.

Go Gators! :)
[/SIZE]
Undisciplined...poor tackling...suspect QB play...and suspect play calling. Yes, you are 1-0, but UF has a long way to go to challenge in the SEC East. Good luck...beat UGA!!

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Miami is not good and will struggle to be a .500 team this year, even in a terrible ACC Coastal Division. There just isn’t much talent there. With that said, they played about as well as they could have minus the botched punt.

Florida definitely had more talent and that was the difference in the game. However, they have no chance in the East this year. They will definitely beat some teams and will probably win at least one of the games against Auburn, LSU and UGA but will most assuredly drop a game to someone they shouldn’t, like UT or Missouri. They are just way too undisciplined and Franks is way too inconsistent. The penalties were not just a product of first game of the year against a rival.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
A very important win for Florida. The old saying applies... " a W is a W". They have a lot to improve on... and I suspect they will improve.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
I watched the game.

Yes, it was kinda ugly. But through the years, I have to keep reminding myself that 1st games are often poor indicators.

I would think these 2 teams will improve moving forward.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.