Game Thread: Gators vs. Canes - 7pm (ET), ESPN - TONIGHT!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Franks isn't a solution at quarterback but he may be enough to hold them over until Mullen can find the solution.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think this game demonstrates that UF is in good hands with Mullen but they also still a lot of work to do.
They've got a lot of talent, but are undisciplined in spots. Specifically the defensive backfield. QB is, well, what it is. I think 9 wins will be an overachievement. Beating Georgia would probably be a huge upset, but we'll see how everyone else looks as the season progresses.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What I saw looked like two 8-win teams but teams improve the most between week 1 and 2 so I'm hesitant to dismiss Florida entirely.

Miami's schedule is super soft. If VT and FSU don't turn around from 2018's decline then they're probably 9-3 or 10-2...maybe even 11-1.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What I saw looked like two 8-win teams but teams improve the most between week 1 and 2 so I'm hesitant to dismiss Florida entirely.

Miami's schedule is super soft. If VT and FSU don't turn around from 2018's decline then they're probably 9-3 or 10-2...maybe even 11-1.

They play in the ACC . With one notable exception, how hard can their season be ?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Congrats Bazza. If Mullen does not have a better choice on the sideline that can play QB than Franks, then he needs to convert a tight end to QB. :smile:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Missouri is probably UGA's only real challenge in the East unless 1) this is just a really bad game for Florida or 2) Tennessee is way ahead of schedule. I think the latter is more possible than the former. It wouldn't surprise me if Auburn goes into Gainsville and continues to own Florida because Auburn usually beats teams that beat themselves. I stick by my early Florida pick in that they are a 7-8 win team this year.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Miami is better than I thought they would be.
It would be great if Miami could beat Clemson in the ACC championship game to keep Clemson out of the playoffs. Maybe they will improve enough to do that? I was hoping FL would be able to beat UGA, but that probably won't happen unless they change QB.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Had he gotten hurt again or something?
What is crazy is this

1) they push Manning out because of injuries and believed Luck was more capable of winning a SB

2) Manning wins a SB 3 years later with the Broncos

3) Jacoby Brisset is now making his 2nd full time starter role at the Colts

4) Chad Kelly is now the backup

5) Luck is coming off his best statistical season

6) Colts booed Luck off the field because Schefter caught wind of Luck's retirement sooner than Luck wanted it to come out

7) the Colts are probably the favorites to the #1 pick now

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I honestly think that it was that UF was so much worse. That secondary play was so bad it's hard to describe. I think it's UGA in the SECCG again...
Florida just may IRON OUT all those wrinkles in it's offense and defense.

When Florida FUMBLED, Miami recovered. That last pass by Florida's #13 was insane. INTERCEPTED! Run out the clock! Maybe he should have kept that
facial hair growth.

When Miami FUMBLED, Miami recovered.

Maybe Florida needs to EMPHASIZE tackling runners this week. I don't think I've seen such bad tackling!

Penalties! Penalties! Penalties! 4th and 34! I may never forget that. If I had been the coach on the sideline prior to that, I'd tell the players! "NO PENALTIES on this play. STOP them from gaining a half-mile on the play with NO STUPID penalties.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
[SIZE=+1]First and foremost.......give Miami credit for fielding a talented team that gave Florida all they could handle and then some last night. Much credit to the Hurricane coaching staff - especially Manny Diaz and Brian Enos. Their freshman QB Darren Williams did not look at all like a freshman starting his first game. In fact, an argument could easily be made that he demonstrated more poise than 3rd year QB Feleipe Franks.

As for Florida - they won and are 1-0. That's the best thing I can say about them. They persevered through 4 turnovers which put the defense on the field for 13 minutes more than the Miami defense in triple digit heat index conditions. That's almost a whole quarter!

Florida's offense and defense both made mistakes --- but those 4 turnovers had the biggest impact on the outcome of the game.

I also feel the play calling was a bit suspect at times. Why didn't we go back to Toney in the game? Why not stretch the field with all the talent we have in our WR group? Puzzling. I can only surmise that Coach Mullen was trying to work around the mental shortcomings of Franks.

[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Can't help but feel the 10 sacks last night wouldn't have happened if not for [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]the transfer LB Jonathan Greenard #58[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]. He was simply amazing.

Ultimately what happens the rest of the season with this team depends on one person - Feleipe Franks. And to some degree Coach Mullen for how he handles that position.

Franks has a ton of physical ability - but where he falls short is between the ears. I wonder if he'll ever be the kind of QB that could take his team to the playoffs. Based on what I saw last night - clearly the answer is no.

Gritty season opener with an in state rival at a neutral site in triple digit heat index night --- and we got the win.

It wasn't the domination win I was hoping for but happy to start the season off 1-0.

Go Gators! :)
[/SIZE]

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What is crazy is this

1) they push Manning out because of injuries and believed Luck was more capable of winning a SB

2) Manning wins a SB 3 years later with the Broncos

3) Jacoby Brisset is now making his 2nd full time starter role at the Colts

4) Chad Kelly is now the backup

5) Luck is coming off his best statistical season

6) Colts booed Luck off the field because Schefter caught wind of Luck's retirement sooner than Luck wanted it to come out

7) the Colts are probably the favorites to the #1 pick now
It's deplorable that they booed him. They had him playing behind a sieve for an OL and it wrecked him. (I'm referring to when his injury problems began).

What hit me last night was the massive debate over the 2012 QB class, between Luck and RG3. Now both have basically been physically broken, and out of the league (can't remember if RG3 is still playing, but he's certainly a shell of his former physical self).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.