My goodness Clemson’s schedule is a JOKE.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Love it! Great stuff...should you be playing Clemson though? I know, glass house and all, but geez...
Our longtime coach (like 30 years long) retired a year ago. The new coach is entering his second year. We won the SOCON last year despite not having very high preseason expectations. He has kept with the triple option. It's hard to imagine us doing anything else. Wofford is no joke when you consider how small the school is. 750 male students a normal football team is 85 players so you have more than 10% of the student body that would be football players.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Love it! Great stuff...should you be playing Clemson though? I know, glass house and all, but geez...
Gotta fund the program somehow. Alabama has played an FCS team many times in the game before Auburn. Most of the SEC was playing them that week before their in state rival. Wofford happens to be a higher tier FCS team than some of the SEC teams have played. For instance the Gamecocks lost to Citadel in Spurrier's quitting year. Wofford basically owns the Citadel in football, they are in our conference.

Clemson's main problem schedule wise is the complete destruction of the ACC as a competitive conference. They have TXAM and USCe out of conference, that's a pretty decent out of conference slate. They did a home and home with Georgia a few years ago. Many years they play two sec teams. They can't control how bad the rest of the ACC has gotten. I imagine the better they've gotten they are increasingly having difficulty finding teams that want to play them, just like Alabama does.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Since I became a fan of Wofford in 2005 I can recall us playing: West Virginia, Wisconsin, Clemson, and USCx3. I'm forgetting some of the other big people we have played but it's not unusual for us to play against the big boys.

Wofford basketball would've whooped Bama basketball last year, I know that.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
the question that needs to be ask is " how many losses would Clemson have if they play Alabama's schedule? "

example: pre season pundits point out the the 2 most difficult games on their schedule are Texas AM and South Carolina, both which happens to be SEC foes.
now flip the page, most talking heads wouldn't even considered the 2 same teams Clemson will play as our toughest matches.
Probably none. We should not be thinking TA&M will be a cake walk for us. They should be really good this year. I think we will win them all and beat a very very good Clemson team in the Playoffs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I may have asked this in another thread. How many sec teams would go undefeated against that schedule? I'm going to say 6-7.

Alabama
Georgia
Auburn if they're good

I'd say LSU, but they somehow find a way to lose one that they should win every single year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not really hating on Clemson for there schedule because its not their fault but my god they basically have a one game season vs A&M tonight. The game against Syracuse can no longer be seen as a big game.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Don't be trashing my Alma Mater! It's spelled Wofford and for a school of 1,500 we are very good at football for our level. We have taken USC to the wire several times over the last ten years. We could probably beat some FBS teams.
I considered going to Wofford myself. I wasn’t too keen on going to a school smaller than my high school though. [emoji13]

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
My niece plays soccer for Wofford.

No doubt the fighting Dabos’ schedule is a joke, and they should be undefeated moving into the playoffs. Though Syracuse is trending down however, looks like Mack Brown’s Tarheels are trending up. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not calling for an upset, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised if NC puts up a fight at home when Clemson comes to visit in three weeks.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
They don’t play UVA, but they are probably the second best team in the conference, which I can’t believe I’m typing. Their QB is pretty dangerous.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
After tonight, i would say LSU would #gotsdemanoffense and we KNOW TN would not lol

The fact that SEC schools still find a way to lose to Troy,USA, Toledo, UCF, North Texas, and Georgia Southern I would say 2 maybe 3.

FTR, before this gets turned around into to saying that I said only 2 or 3 SEC teams could win with Clemson's schedule, I said I only have faith that 2 or 3 would go undefeated. Alabama and Georgia would, LSU might have enough talent to compensate for their coaches and lack of offense, but everyone else I would probably stay away from betting for an undefeated season.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Thank heavens for the college football playoff. With the ACC as weak as it is, it would appear Clemson plays one strong team in Texas A&M and that's it.

In the past without a conference championship game and playoff system, Clemson would go to the Orange Bowl and play the Big 8 or Big 12 representative and be done with it. With a playoff, at least they and every other team now must beat at least two good teams to win a national championship.
Actually the current cfp format is arguably more favorable to a team like Clemson playing in a weak conference. If old bowl system had been in place last year Sugar likely takes ND over Clemson to face SEC champ Bama, then Clemson likely goes to Orange & plays Oklahoma. In that scenario Bama probably wins by a as big or a bigger margin than Clemson because Notre Dame was just not that good, and the pollsters/voters probably vote Bama #1 due to a much tougher schedule.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Clemson can start their second teamers the rest of the regular season and win out.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Actually the current cfp format is arguably more favorable to a team like Clemson playing in a weak conference. If old bowl system had been in place last year Sugar likely takes ND over Clemson to face SEC champ Bama, then Clemson likely goes to Orange & plays Oklahoma. In that scenario Bama probably wins by a as big or a bigger margin than Clemson because Notre Dame was just not that good, and the pollsters/voters probably vote Bama #1 due to Alabama being a bigger brand name and beating Notre Dame.

FIFY - and it's a lot of why that old system was a sick joke.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
FIFY - and it's a lot of why that old system was a sick joke.
Agree, but the cfp in its current format is not much less of a joke. Taking "deserving" teams over best teams (ND last year, Michigan State a few years ago) and ranking the teams based on God knows what criteria in lieu of who is really the best team (Clemson #1 seed in 2017 was a joke) has not helped cfp. The cfp committee consist of biased school ADs, and non-football people such as school presidents and even politicians. It's simply not picking and seeding based on who are the best teams. Politics and brand name are still a huge factor (which does benefit Bama, so there's that).

In my opinion, with only 4 teams there is not enough wiggle room to adequately factor in strength of schedule along with performance & record. Clemson has little to no incentive to toughen their schedule. This year their schedule is hardly any tougher than UCFs, but if both teams run the table Clemson will be #1 seed in cfp and UCF will finish around 8th and get another consolation bowl. I'm not making the UCF argument here, just showing that Clemson schedule is a joke, and under current cfp system Clemson would be absolutely nuts to change that any time soon. If anything, they might be wise to weaken it since now that they are among the elite all they have to do is win out to make cfp, schedule be damned. The best/most obvious solution is to expand to 8-teams. For those who think this is a mistake, the only other solution I can come up with is to heavily weight strength of schedule in selection process and seeding process, but then you leave a big name like ND out last year and we all know that would not sit well with TV execs (which is why the cfp doesn't especially take the 4 best teams to begin with).

Bottom line, fans looking for a way to get Clemson to toughen their schedule are out of luck because there isn't one outside of revamping cfp - right now the cfp literally incentivizes them to play a soft schedule. If there are better ways to address this I'm all ears as I'm certainly not an expert, just a fan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.