Oklahoma wins case against drugmaker in historic opioid trial - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Re: Oklahoma wins case against drugmaker in historic opioid trial

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    The opioid crisis has been a huge pita fo me. I perform a lot of surgeries that require post-op pain management. The State of Tennessee has requested that we prescribe 800 mg of ibuprofen q6h for a tooth extraction. That would be fine if they all came out the same way. Yesterday I extracted four teeth for one patient. Tomorrow I have a patient having nine teeth removed. When I do write narcotic Rx’s I tell the patient to make them last because there won’t be a refill. My Rx’s are always for no more than twelve pills. Even at that small number a lecture from the state informed a room full of dentists that we were creating addicts.
    I have recurring back pain due to two collapsed discs and the resulting surgeries/arthritis. My ortho can prescribe plenty of muscle relaxers (thank God), but is restricted wrt opiods. She can give me one non-refillable rx for 30; if I need more, I have to make another appointment. Fortunately, I can generally stretch them out for a year.

I've somewhat amazed that I never got hooked, cause there was a stretch before my first surgery when I was popping pills like tic tacs.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    I have recurring back pain due to two collapsed discs and the resulting surgeries/arthritis. My ortho can prescribe plenty of muscle relaxers (thank God), but is restricted wrt opiods. She can give me one non-refillable rx for 30; if I need more, I have to make another appointment. Fortunately, I can generally stretch them out for a year.

I've somewhat amazed that I never got hooked, cause there was a stretch before my first surgery when I was popping pills like tic tacs.
    i had the same thing with back issues (eventually leading to surgery) about 20 years ago. that was back when they were prescribing opioids like candy, and i was taking them like ibuprofen (every 4 hours) to get through the day at work sometimes. i was lucky i didn't get hooked. at one point i cleaned out several bottles of opiods from my bathroom closet.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    The opioid crisis has been a huge pita fo me. I perform a lot of surgeries that require post-op pain management. The State of Tennessee has requested that we prescribe 800 mg of ibuprofen q6h for a tooth extraction. That would be fine if they all came out the same way. Yesterday I extracted four teeth for one patient. Tomorrow I have a patient having nine teeth removed. When I do write narcotic Rx’s I tell the patient to make them last because there won’t be a refill. My Rx’s are always for no more than twelve pills. Even at that small number a lecture from the state informed a room full of dentists that we were creating addicts.
    The pendulum has swung wildly back the other way, hasn't it? I attempt to taper down and/or off when possible and have taken to asking about cannabis use and have had multiple discussions in that regard. Had one that I had little/no choice but to cut off the opioids (due to behavior) and "advised" they try cannabis to help. They did. It worked. They have less pain and can modify the dose daily depending on pain level. They look like they have color instead of being pasty white. They were angry at first but thanked me at the last visit. Their kids thanked them for the change. Miracle plant. And an answer to the gosh-darned pinhead pencil pushing sons of mothers (the same ones who pushed everyone the other way to begin with years ago and started this whole mess, BTW) , who never went to school for medicine/nursing yet still know more than those of us who did. I wish I could get everyone off opioids but that's not feasible. I document the hell out of it and I'm still afraid it's going to come back to haunt me. I've had to decline to take some patients due to their medications and the risks they pose. The system is an absolute disgrace, IMHO.
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; August 27th, 2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.