Oklahoma wins case against drugmaker in historic opioid trial

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It will be interesting to see how J&J "engaged in false and misleading marketing of both their drugs and opioids generally".

In a landmark decision, an Oklahoma judge on Monday ordered pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson to pay $572 million for its role in the state's opioid crisis.

The verdict issued by Cleveland County District Judge Thad Balkman marks the end of the first state trial attempting to hold a pharmaceutical company accountable for one of the worst health epidemics in history. In his ruling, Balkman said the opioid crisis has "ravaged" the state of Oklahoma.

The defendants "engaged in false and misleading marketing of both their drugs and opioids generally, and the law makes clear that such conduct is more than enough to serve as the act or omission necessary to establish the first element of Oklahoma's public nuisance law," Balkman wrote in his ruling.

Following the ruling, Johnson & Johnson announced that it plans to appeal the "flawed" judgment.
Oklahoma wins case against drugmaker in historic opioid trial

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah. And on a bench trial, no less. So I can only assume that by the time Alabama's crack attorney's take their shot, we'll end up owing Big Pharm money...
If you’re serious, I guess you don’t know much about Steve Marshall’s personal life of the work he’s doing with opioids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
If you’re serious, I guess you don’t know much about Steve Marshall’s personal life of the work he’s doing with opioids.

Yeah, I know Marshall's done a lot in that area. It's just that Alabama never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity, you know?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, I know Marshall's done a lot in that area. It's just that Alabama never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity, you know?
Pretty sure the state has already filed a lawsuit and/or joined other states in their lawsuits.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Listened to an interview this morning from I think one of the JJ lawyers. I haven't followed this case so Idk many of the facts but you could tell she was talking around things. She was using too specific vocabulary and avoiding certain words it seemed.

For example, at one point she said "no Oklahoma doctor testified they were mislead" then they had a journalist who has been following the case come on after and she said that while that is apparently true there were doctors that treated patients in Oklahoma that did testify they just weren't based out of Oklahoma.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Listened to an interview this morning from I think one of the JJ lawyers. I haven't followed this case so Idk many of the facts but you could tell she was talking around things. She was using too specific vocabulary and avoiding certain words it seemed.

For example, at one point she said "no Oklahoma doctor testified they were mislead" then they had a journalist who has been following the case come on after and she said that while that is apparently true there were doctors who testified that treated patients in Oklahoma that did testify they just weren't based out of Oklahoma.
I heard the interview too. She was doing a good job of advocacy. "Who, us?!?! Each of those people had to have a doctor's prescription." Of course, they just decided not to notice how many millions of pills were being funneled into Oklahoma (and other states), while they encouraged docs to write more...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I heard the interview too. She was doing a good job of advocacy. "Who, us?!?! Each of those people had to have a doctor's prescription." Of course, they just decided not to notice how many millions of pills were being funneled into Oklahoma (and other states), while they encouraged docs to write more...
Honestly, I came away really impressed with her. She clearly is very good at her job.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Medical professionals were put in a no-win situation by these jerks, the jerks in insurance, the jerks that run hospitals, and the jerks in the government.

Sad thing is that it's happening all over again, just in the opposite direction and the results from that are just adding to the problem.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The opioid crisis has been a huge pita fo me. I perform a lot of surgeries that require post-op pain management. The State of Tennessee has requested that we prescribe 800 mg of ibuprofen q6h for a tooth extraction. That would be fine if they all came out the same way. Yesterday I extracted four teeth for one patient. Tomorrow I have a patient having nine teeth removed. When I do write narcotic Rx’s I tell the patient to make them last because there won’t be a refill. My Rx’s are always for no more than twelve pills. Even at that small number a lecture from the state informed a room full of dentists that we were creating addicts.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The opioid crisis has been a huge pita fo me. I perform a lot of surgeries that require post-op pain management. The State of Tennessee has requested that we prescribe 800 mg of ibuprofen q6h for a tooth extraction. That would be fine if they all came out the same way. Yesterday I extracted four teeth for one patient. Tomorrow I have a patient having nine teeth removed. When I do write narcotic Rx’s I tell the patient to make them last because there won’t be a refill. My Rx’s are always for no more than twelve pills. Even at that small number a lecture from the state informed a room full of dentists that we were creating addicts.
I have recurring back pain due to two collapsed discs and the resulting surgeries/arthritis. My ortho can prescribe plenty of muscle relaxers (thank God), but is restricted wrt opiods. She can give me one non-refillable rx for 30; if I need more, I have to make another appointment. Fortunately, I can generally stretch them out for a year.

I've somewhat amazed that I never got hooked, cause there was a stretch before my first surgery when I was popping pills like tic tacs.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have recurring back pain due to two collapsed discs and the resulting surgeries/arthritis. My ortho can prescribe plenty of muscle relaxers (thank God), but is restricted wrt opiods. She can give me one non-refillable rx for 30; if I need more, I have to make another appointment. Fortunately, I can generally stretch them out for a year.

I've somewhat amazed that I never got hooked, cause there was a stretch before my first surgery when I was popping pills like tic tacs.
i had the same thing with back issues (eventually leading to surgery) about 20 years ago. that was back when they were prescribing opioids like candy, and i was taking them like ibuprofen (every 4 hours) to get through the day at work sometimes. i was lucky i didn't get hooked. at one point i cleaned out several bottles of opiods from my bathroom closet.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The pendulum has swung wildly back the other way, hasn't it? I attempt to taper down and/or off when possible and have taken to asking about cannabis use and have had multiple discussions in that regard. Had one that I had little/no choice but to cut off the opioids (due to behavior) and "advised" they try cannabis to help. They did. It worked. They have less pain and can modify the dose daily depending on pain level. They look like they have color instead of being pasty white. They were angry at first but thanked me at the last visit. Their kids thanked them for the change. Miracle plant. And an answer to the gosh-darned pinhead pencil pushing sons of mothers (the same ones who pushed everyone the other way to begin with years ago and started this whole mess, BTW) , who never went to school for medicine/nursing yet still know more than those of us who did. I wish I could get everyone off opioids but that's not feasible. I document the hell out of it and I'm still afraid it's going to come back to haunt me. I've had to decline to take some patients due to their medications and the risks they pose. The system is an absolute disgrace, IMHO.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.