Oklahoma wins case against drugmaker in historic opioid trial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It will be interesting to see how J&J "engaged in false and misleading marketing of both their drugs and opioids generally".

In a landmark decision, an Oklahoma judge on Monday ordered pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson to pay $572 million for its role in the state's opioid crisis.

The verdict issued by Cleveland County District Judge Thad Balkman marks the end of the first state trial attempting to hold a pharmaceutical company accountable for one of the worst health epidemics in history. In his ruling, Balkman said the opioid crisis has "ravaged" the state of Oklahoma.

The defendants "engaged in false and misleading marketing of both their drugs and opioids generally, and the law makes clear that such conduct is more than enough to serve as the act or omission necessary to establish the first element of Oklahoma's public nuisance law," Balkman wrote in his ruling.

Following the ruling, Johnson & Johnson announced that it plans to appeal the "flawed" judgment.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Re: Oklahoma wins case against drugmaker in historic opioid trial

Ahh, the .pdf file of the judgement seems to be pretty damning...

i hope heads roll. some people need to see serious jail time for this
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Ahh, the .pdf file of the judgement seems to be pretty damning...
    Yeah. And on a bench trial, no less. So I can only assume that by the time Alabama's crack attorney's take their shot, we'll end up owing Big Pharm money...
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Yeah. And on a bench trial, no less. So I can only assume that by the time Alabama's crack attorney's take their shot, we'll end up owing Big Pharm money...
    If you’re serious, I guess you don’t know much about Steve Marshall’s personal life of the work he’s doing with opioids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    If you’re serious, I guess you don’t know much about Steve Marshall’s personal life of the work he’s doing with opioids.

Yeah, I know Marshall's done a lot in that area. It's just that Alabama never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity, you know?
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Yeah, I know Marshall's done a lot in that area. It's just that Alabama never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity, you know?
    Pretty sure the state has already filed a lawsuit and/or joined other states in their lawsuits.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Pretty sure the state has already filed a lawsuit and/or joined other states in their lawsuits.
    Yup: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...it-opioid.html

BamaNation All-American

Listened to an interview this morning from I think one of the JJ lawyers. I haven't followed this case so Idk many of the facts but you could tell she was talking around things. She was using too specific vocabulary and avoiding certain words it seemed.

For example, at one point she said "no Oklahoma doctor testified they were mislead" then they had a journalist who has been following the case come on after and she said that while that is apparently true there were doctors that treated patients in Oklahoma that did testify they just weren't based out of Oklahoma.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; August 27th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Listened to an interview this morning from I think one of the JJ lawyers. I haven't followed this case so Idk many of the facts but you could tell she was talking around things. She was using too specific vocabulary and avoiding certain words it seemed.

For example, at one point she said "no Oklahoma doctor testified they were mislead" then they had a journalist who has been following the case come on after and she said that while that is apparently true there were doctors who testified that treated patients in Oklahoma that did testify they just weren't based out of Oklahoma.
    I heard the interview too. She was doing a good job of advocacy. "Who, us?!?! Each of those people had to have a doctor's prescription." Of course, they just decided not to notice how many millions of pills were being funneled into Oklahoma (and other states), while they encouraged docs to write more...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I heard the interview too. She was doing a good job of advocacy. "Who, us?!?! Each of those people had to have a doctor's prescription." Of course, they just decided not to notice how many millions of pills were being funneled into Oklahoma (and other states), while they encouraged docs to write more...
    Honestly, I came away really impressed with her. She clearly is very good at her job.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Medical professionals were put in a no-win situation by these jerks, the jerks in insurance, the jerks that run hospitals, and the jerks in the government.

Sad thing is that it's happening all over again, just in the opposite direction and the results from that are just adding to the problem.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

The opioid crisis has been a huge pita fo me. I perform a lot of surgeries that require post-op pain management. The State of Tennessee has requested that we prescribe 800 mg of ibuprofen q6h for a tooth extraction. That would be fine if they all came out the same way. Yesterday I extracted four teeth for one patient. Tomorrow I have a patient having nine teeth removed. When I do write narcotic Rx’s I tell the patient to make them last because there won’t be a refill. My Rx’s are always for no more than twelve pills. Even at that small number a lecture from the state informed a room full of dentists that we were creating addicts.