AAC asks NCAA to eliminate divisions in CCG...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Aresco said that he intends to eliminate divisions in football and pair up the two best teams in the conference in the AAC Championship Game.
"We've already pretty much made that decision," Aresco said. "We've already started the waiver process with the NCAA to be able to play a championship game with 11 teams and not have to play a round-robin. We think playing 10 [conference] games is out of the question for all sorts of reasons. We also don't want to be forced to add a team and raid another conference. We also don't want to be forced to jettison a team."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...minate-divisions-in-football-as-soon-as-2020/

Does the NCAA ever turn a waiver down? I think waivers getting approved FOR ANY REASON are pretty much a given.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: AAC to eliminate CCG

They are not eliminating their CCG - they are trying to get their format for team choice approved.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

They are holding serve until the Big12 makes or doesn't make their move. Expansion the last time was such a jumbled mess that they added teams that shouldn't even have football. They don't want to make that mistake again.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Why in the world isn't already allowed? You mean to tell me the recent ruling that allowed the Big 12 to have a championship game only applied to conferences with 10 teams? Typical ncaa balderdash.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

Why in the world isn't already allowed? You mean to tell me the recent ruling that allowed the Big 12 to have a championship game only applied to conferences with 10 teams? Typical ncaa balderdash.
I believe the catch is that you have to play a true round robin schedule as the Big 12 does. The AAC doesn't want to go to 10 conference games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I believe the catch is that you have to play a true round robin schedule as the Big 12 does. The AAC doesn't want to go to 10 conference games.
Agreed, but it is stupid to put in weird criteria. Let the conferences decide. Tell the NCAA to jump in a lake if they don't like it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Smh. They should have just ruled any conference can play a championship game. I mean it makes more sense to allow it if you don't play a round robin, vs. if you do. With a round robin, the championship game is now a guaranteed rematch. As I said... ncaa balderdash. Bureaucrats making decisions they are clueless to make.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

So they want to match up their best two teams for the conference championship game? I approve.

In the short run, this at least gives Clemson another (hopefully) challenging game before they get to the play-off. It won't be like Alabama-Georgia, but it seems like a better plan for the ACC IMO.
Clemson? ACC?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Smh. They should have just ruled any conference can play a championship game. I mean it makes more sense to allow it if you don't play a round robin, vs. if you do. With a round robin, the championship game is now a guaranteed rematch. As I said... ncaa balderdash. Bureaucrats making decisions they are clueless to make.
Not a chance they would rule that way, and I doubt if the AAC gets their waiver. The rule that allows a CG was never meant for Division 1A. The NCAA had a meltdown when Roy Kramer expanded the SEC and used the rule to implement the SECCG.

What the NCAA did for the Big 12 was minor. What the AAC is asking for is major. It ain't happening! Big 12 asked for the same thing. If the NCAA won't do it for the Big 12, they sure are not doing it for the AAC.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Not a chance they would rule that way, and I doubt if the AAC gets their waiver. The rule that allows a CG was never meant for Division 1A. The NCAA had a meltdown when Roy Kramer expanded the SEC and used the rule to implement the SECCG.
They let the Big 12 do it with only 10 teams.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

They let the Big 12 do it with only 10 teams.
No, they did not let the Big 12 do what the AAC is asking to do. The Big 12 was told whatever they did, it had to be with round robin schedules. The AAC will be told the same thing.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Aren't there 11 teams? If so, they won't make them play a 10 game conference schedule...
No, they did not let the Big 12 do what the AAC is asking to do. The Big 12 was told whatever they did, it had to be with round robin schedules. The AAC will be told the same thing.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Aren't there 11 teams? If so, they won't make them play a 10 game conference schedule...
If there were 12 teams they would tell them to play an 11 game round robin. If there were 13 teams they would tell them to play a 12 game round robin. If there were 14 teams they would tell them no because they don't have a 13 game schedule in which to play a 13 game round robin. The NCAA was really, really po'd when Kramer started this thingy.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Re: AAC to eliminate divisions in CCG...

If there were 12 teams they would tell them to play an 11 game round robin. If there were 13 teams they would tell them to play a 12 game round robin. If there were 14 teams they would tell them no because they don't have a 13 game schedule in which to play a 13 game round robin. The NCAA was really, really po'd when Kramer started this thingy.
Why? Doesn't it make college football a lot of money? Do they think the NCAA will exist if their money sports lose money?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.