Dylan Moses hurt according to Aaron Suttles

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Something to ponder.....

We may want/need our home crowds to be quite when the opponents Offense is on the field so that our Defense can hear to make 100% sure everyone is lined up correctly. I know we use hand signals too....but still....

It might finally be a plus to have a bunch of apathetic blue hairs in the stands.

*Trying to find Silver Linings*

paul02085

All-SEC
Sep 12, 2004
Loganville, Ga.
Wow. Just a crushing injury. Its like the qb going down for the year on d almost. I need to quit taking this stuff so seriously. Not good for my mental health lol. Still gonna enjoy the season but not having expectations i did yesterday.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Completely agree. It's weird how Saban was willing to completely change his offensive philosophy but not defensive philosophy. In the world of spread, hurry up and no huddle offenses it seems like the counter to those would be to tone down the number of defensive adjustments pre-snap. #1 goal should be getting the players lined up and the right assignments. All of the pre-snap adjustments were great against pro style offenses but it's more of a hindrance against the teams that go fast..
I think to a certain extent he has changed somewhat. We have gone with a smaller, faster lineup and it doesn't seem like we are as situational as we were under Kirby. But I agree 100% and have thought many times that if we simplified our defense then it would not take as long for younger talented guys to become productive.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Well he has changed a good bit of his defensive philosophy to counter the HUNH and spread offense explosion. For example, you don't see anymore 260 lb MLB running around out there anymore. There are no more Terrence Cody's at NT.

I really believe most of last year's problems were due to coaching. And even with the injuries, we ought to be better than last year, because of the coaching improvements. Well, I hope so anyway. I hate this for Moses and the other guys who have gotten hurt. Hopefully, they all recover fully.
Not trying to nitpick but that is a change in personnel not philosophy. Saban has always had a pro style approach to offense and defense. The offense philosophy has completely changed. The defense philosophy of trying to disguise, mix and match, and make last second adjustments before the snap have not changed. It's kind of a nit pick in the coaching style but it's worth pointing out with how many LBs we've seen out of position in the recent years. Seems like that problem would be exacerbated with 2 TF in the middle..

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
While I agree, I also know Nick Saban isn't going to do that. He's said as much in the past.

Suspect he'll look at it with the mindset "an ugly September will make for a pretty November." Let the young guys make mistakes in the games that allow for mistakes so they are prepared for the bigger games.

Really glad Jace Sternberger is already gone from TAMU. Jimbo would have him destroy the middle of the field with two true freshmen at ILB.
I tend to agree with your sentiments. It will not only be aTm that will try to exploit the weakness. SC will be the first real test and it will make the TN game closer than desired.

I like the idea to let the freshmen get the experience and challenge the coaching staff to "do their job" (even if it just got a lot tougher.

Bama will just need to overcome and seek out some new leaders. Leadership is more than ever a major need.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
First, I hope Dylan makes a speedy recovery. This was his year to shine its likely over. Get well soon!

Second, I am reminded of a freshman linebacker in 2010 that played in 13 games and was a consensus Freshman All-American. I'm not saying that one of these two FR linebackers this year will be the next CJ Mosley. But I'm confident that if any team in the country has talent on the bench that could produce at a similar level, it's Alabama. Even the injured Moses was thrown into action as a true freshman late in the season 2 years ago and played well.

Freshmen linebackers are not an immediate death knell for the season.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I've been to 2 rodeos and goat roping and never seen anything like this. Unbelievable. Some guys are going to grow up in a hurry, like it or not.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Again, it's a different situation. This year specifically, our ILB group was already super thin. In 2017, most of the guys that got hurt came back (Miller, Wilson, Evans, Lewis). This time, our most experienced guys are done for the year. Everyone is acting like we will be fine, but it's going to cost us an important game.
It could....... there’s always that chance, but those guys could also catch fire and shock us all....,,,

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.