Dylan Moses hurt according to Aaron Suttles

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We've been through this song & dance more times than we wanted to under Coach Saban, but, I'll just keep faith in "The Process" as we dance our way past the injuries & we play for another National Championship at the end of the year..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Guys, we all hurt for Dylan Moses, and the rest of the team, and ourselves. We're frustrated and angry and it really feels unfair right now at a lot of levels and for a lot of people.

Let's direct that frustration at our opponents, not each other. Nobody here is wishing anyone ill. When we feel like we're facing unfairness, it's not always easy to step back and take a deep breath. But please do so.

We don't need to get so angry that we circle up to form a firing squad. No personal attacks.

That last sentence is not a request.

Last edited:

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I hate it for this young man. He has worked so hard and given his all for this team to have this happen. Prayers go out to him and his family and the team. I hope he has a full recovery and can have an NFL carreer.

We have the coaching staff to keep this team together and adjust. We have the offense to lean on while some younger players are learning on the job. I don't know if this will keep us from winning a championship or not but every once in a while some things are just more important and the health of DM is one of those things.

This team is still gonna be a very good team and ,at least for most of the season, we should be in contention for the SEC championship and playoffs. They'll be fun to watch.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm showing my own ignorance here, but it won't be the first time:

When a player calls signals for the defense, is it for all 11 players, or for only his own position group? As in, if Shy Carter calls the defense, is it for just the DBs or the whole defensive team? Similarly, if Dylan Moses could be there to call signals, would it be for just the LBs and DL, or would it be for the DBs as well?

Thanks for the education.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I hate it for this young man. He has worked so hard and given his all for this team to have this happen. Prayers go out to him and his family and the team. I hope he has a full recovery and can have an NFL carreer.

We have the coaching staff to keep this team together and adjust. We have the offense to lean on while some younger players are learning on the job. I don't know if this will keep us from winning a championship or not but every once in a while some things are just more important and the health of DM is one of those things.

This team is still gonna be a very good team and ,at least for most of the season, we should be in contention for the SEC championship and playoffs. They'll be fun to watch.
True........ they can’t direct the wind, but they can adjust the sails........ I think they will all get there together and come ready to play

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

When a player calls signals for the defense, is it for all 11 players, or for only his own position group? As in, if Shy Carter calls the defense, is it for just the DBs or the whole defensive team? Similarly, if Dylan Moses could be there to call signals, would it be for just the LBs and DL, or would it be for the DBs as well?

Typically the Safety calls the secondary and one of the ILBs adjusts the LBs based on the Safety's call. Essentially, the safety sets the secondary based on how the offense is moving around their players, but that can change what a LB is supposed to do on a play, and the MLB has to know what the ILBs are supposed to be doing in the base defense called in from the sideline and adjust if necessary. If the ILB doesn't adjust properly then you could have a receiver running wide open in the middle of the field, uncovered, because the Safety's call meant that the ILB was now responsible for a coverage assignment rather than his original assignment.

So, in short, it is usually the Safety working with an ILB.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Hearing the injury was non-contact and occurred in the indoor practice facility. Is there concern about the artificial turf in this facility. This is where non-contact injuries appear to be occurring.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Typically the Safety calls the secondary and one of the ILBs adjusts the LBs based on the Safety's call. Essentially, the safety sets the secondary based on how the offense is moving around their players, but that can change what a LB is supposed to do on a play, and the MLB has to know what the ILBs are supposed to be doing in the base defense called in from the sideline and adjust if necessary. If the ILB doesn't adjust properly then you could have a receiver running wide open in the middle of the field, uncovered, because the Safety's call meant that the ILB was now responsible for a coverage assignment rather than his original assignment.

So, in short, it is usually the Safety working with an ILB.
Thanks for the education. So really, there are two players "making calls."

From what Saban has said in the past, I think Carter will be in the game just about all the time because of his reliability on this front. We don't really have anybody at ILB to fill Moses' playcalling, and will have to use spit, bubblegum, baling wire and duct tape.

Expect opposing coaches to try to confuse our inexperienced ILBs into being out of position and/or freezing up -- lots of motion in all sorts of directions, unusual formations, etc. If I were coaching a physically overmatched team (just about all of the ones we play early in the year), I'd certainly try to exploit any mental advantage I could find / create.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for the education. So really, there are two players "making calls."

From what Saban has said in the past, I think Carter will be in the game just about all the time because of his reliability on this front. We don't really have anybody at ILB to fill Moses' playcalling, and will have to use spit, bubblegum, baling wire and duct tape.

Expect opposing coaches to try to confuse our inexperienced ILBs into being out of position and/or freezing up -- lots of motion in all sorts of directions, unusual formations, etc. If I were coaching a physically overmatched team (just about all of the ones we play early in the year), I'd certainly try to exploit any mental advantage I could find / create.
That's part of it, but if the safety can call their adjustments as well, then there is no problem. IMO, that is what will happen.

You want inexperienced players to play, not think. The more they have to think, the slower their reaction times. These guys will not be making adjustment calls. They will be doing what they are told.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Typically the Defensive Coach signals in the particular defense to the middle linebacker (moses in this case) and he relays the call to the entire D...he is also the one who would make adjustments pre-snap to the front 7 based on what the offense is doing...many teams now, because of the passing may let a safety make an adjustment for the back 7 pre snap. Moses would most certainly be a coach on the field to the other LB's. Substitutions for particular situations can also be made by the D coordinator and that player running into the game would give the call to the Moses. If it is a no huddle offense, then there are different things each team does to get in the correct formation, but a guy like moses would be right in the middle of that. The personnel of the offensive (# of WR's, RB's, TE, etc) dictates a lot of what is called. The bottom line is Moses's experience was going to be a KEY factor in getting everyone lined up right. "WAS" being the key word! There is a lot more to say on this...but you get the picture!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.