SEC Games on CBS sports this Fall -- B'ham channel CBS 42 not working on Direct TV

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Does anyone know if CBS 42 Birmingham is close to resolving their dispute with Direct TV? This has gone on long enough and threatens the college football season for Bama fans that use Direct TV here in Alabama!!!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
DTV going to learn a hard lesson if they play chicken with this well into the season. So glad I cut the cord.
Same thing can and probably will happen with streaming services if that's what you're referring to. They're all relatively new so their contracts haven't come back up for negotiation yet. Unless you're just talking about using antenna..

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
What many people dont realize is there are many many options to see the games. As viewers on cable and satellite decrease, the cable and satellite providers are screaming at the cost from the networks.

Once they realize ala carte purchases of channels and not making me buy 150 channels of tv I never watch will be the future. DirecTV is owned by ATT so you know they will not negotiate .

Dishnetwork will probably be the first to offer Ala Carte menus but its going to take them loosing more customers. They are in a fight with Fox over FSS and the other baby fox sports networks. I still found a way to watch the Braves games but not on the satellite. You just have to be creative.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The cable and satellite companies are not going to win this battle. I got both my parents and my in-laws off of satellite and onto streaming services. Younger people are avoiding them by default.

They will either adjust, or lose out.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Somehow my parents and brother got a free aerial antenna from DirecTV so they could get CBS over the air.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Stanford University is offering free local stations online. They are 100% legal and all you have to do is simply sign up with a username and password. No e-mail or personal info needed. PBS and Univision is a part of the lineup as well as ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC.

puffer.stanford.edu

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Clemson game is on the ACC Network tonight. Should have about 10 viewers. :biggrin:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
42 in B’ham is back on DirecTV
Funny how that happened, huh? It would have been suicide to carry this crap the CBS SEC season.

Still switching to Hulu. DirecTV gave a “one year extension” on the introductory plan which will expire at the end of the year.

Perfect time for me to make the move.

OneManBamaFan

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 1999
Robertsdale, Alabama,USA
Actually they can't see the location of the receiver. The only way they have to track the receiver is if a phone line is connected to it.. Local networks are spot beamed from the satellite and will only work within a certain radius of the location they are designed for. The spot beam is pretty large and because it hits the earth at an angle it creates an oval shape. Because of the oval shape you can receive the signal longer traveling north and south than east or west. There are 2 exceptions to the spot beam. LA, New York and Atlanta are considered national networks and if you happened to be subscribed to these they will work anywhere in the US. The other exception is all local networks are assigned to a transponder on one of the satellites. They use the same transponder to spot beam networks in other cities across the US and if your receiver where to be in one of these spot beams your networks will work fine. You won't receive any other networks as you are not subscribed to them. Many people in RVs and motorhomes can't receive their home networks when traveling and have to call Direct or Dish and have them change the networks to the location they are in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.