Hurts a co-captain

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just now circling back to this thread. Jalen played one series to start the 2nd half. He was taken out at around the 10 minute mark. We played 40 subs in the game including Mordecai and Rattler. Both QB's threw TD passes. At a point late in the game our entire skill set on O was made up of true freshmen...Rattler, Major RB, Stogner TE, Wease, Bridges, and Hazleton all 5 star WR's. I'll try not to keep coming back on Hurts. I thought you guys would be interested. I will say this, his passing is much, much better than I anticipated.
I thought his passing had improved but he's even surprised me with his better accuracy. That was his Achilles heel...that and just not even seeing an open receiver and/or (not sure which) having the confidence to even try the throw.

I'm still highly interested in seeing him handle a legit defense under pressure for a whole game.

Guessing that the first test will be Texas at the RRS. True test probably wouldn't come until the playoff, if OU makes it.

FWIW, I'm interesting in your opinions about Jalen as the season progresses.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Another interesting thing.....After the Duke game, Taulia & Tua posted videos on social media of them in the complex working out at around 10pm the same night.

In workman fashion of his own, on Saturday, since Jalen didn't get a whole game in, he went to workout right after his game, with his pants and cleats still on. Kid is driven

Just now circling back to this thread. Jalen played one series to start the 2nd half. He was taken out at around the 10 minute mark. We played 40 subs in the game including Mordecai and Rattler. Both QB's threw TD passes. At a point late in the game our entire skill set on O was made up of true freshmen...Rattler, Major RB, Stogner TE, Wease, Bridges, and Hazleton all 5 star WR's. I'll try not to keep coming back on Hurts. I thought you guys would be interested. I will say this, his passing is much, much better than I anticipated.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Meanwhile, Joe Burrow was caught on TV giving a pagent wave to the Texas crowd. Sorry to deflect from the discussion of Jalen.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Texas is young but talented on D. Their D last year was legit ( see Sugar Bowl ). While I'm not even going to try and defend Big 12 D, one thing I'll say is that Big 12 O is the most dynamic and hard to defend of any of the conferences. It's very hard to recruit D players who can play in space every week and then ask them to NUT up in a smash mouth game like you see in the SEC. We have had our moments ( see TOSU in Columbus ) but we have been so inconsistent. The new coordinator and scheme are showing promise. UH is no slouch on O. With our O all we need is a top 40-50 D to win in the playoffs.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'd take Tua 100% of the time, still.
Oh you know me.... I 1000% agree with you about this. I was one of the 1st to start really calling for a change at QB around mid Oct/early Nov of 2017.

I was just kind of shocked to see Jalen doing so well that he's 'statistically' far and away the #1 QB..... for now.....

Heck I was more than shocked to see Joe Burrow's numbers.

But what's kind of funny is Tua is on pace already to eclipse his production from last season but right now he's around 6th -10th in the major categories.

It will all sort itself out once the conference schedules really get under way with no more cupcakes padding stats.

I'm still of course say that Tua is the Best QB I've ever seen wearing a Crimson Jersey.

But I'm proud of Jalen too and the work he put in with Enos last year and with his new team this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Oh you know me.... I 1000% agree with you about this. I was one of the 1st to start really calling for a change at QB around mid Oct/early Nov of 2017.

I was just kind of shocked to see Jalen doing so well that he's 'statistically' far and away the #1 QB..... for now.....

Heck I was more than shocked to see Joe Burrow's numbers.

But what's kind of funny is Tua is on pace already to eclipse his production from last season but right now he's around 6th -10th in the major categories.

It will all sort itself out once the conference schedules really get under way with no more cupcakes padding stats.

I'm still of course say that Tua is the Best QB I've ever seen wearing a Crimson Jersey.

But I'm proud of Jalen too and the work he put in with Enos last year and with his new team this year.
Oh, I remember and I was right with you!

Ironically, it's when we see our better defenses that Tua's numbers (stats) could improve for two reasons:

1. He'll play most of the game and depending on the quality of opponent, there might be a few games we'll need to outscore the other team.

2. If our OL can't figure out the run blocking part of the offense, we may just have to resort to putting it all on Tua and his opportunities to throw may go higher than even last year.

We'll see.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Another interesting thing.....After the Duke game, Taulia & Tua posted videos on social media of them in the complex working out at around 10pm the same night.

In workman fashion of his own, on Saturday, since Jalen didn't get a whole game in, he went to workout right after his game, with his pants and cleats still on. Kid is driven
No one who has ever competed can not like JH.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With our O all we need is a top 40-50 D to win in the playoffs.
Not if you face as offense as good as yours, and there are quite a few this year, and those teams will all have better defenses. You need a top 20 defense, minimum.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Jalen named one of OU's 4 co-captains as voted on by the players. ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN OKLAHOMA!
Time for me to say 'I TOLD YOU SO'...

Jalen may be the best thing to happen to Oklahoma in a long time.
Jalen is an excellent QB.
Jalen is a excellent Team Leader.
Jalen is a man of high morals too.

I'm proud of what Jalen accomplished at Alabama.
I'm proud of what Jalen can and likely will accomplish at Oklahoma too.
Yall got a good one in Jalen .

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Not if you face as offense as good as yours, and there are quite a few this year, and those teams will all have better defenses. You need a top 20 defense, minimum.
The statistical difference between a top 20 vs a top 40 D is minuscule. The key for us is to quit giving up chunk plays and quit letting opponents off the hook on 3rd down. We have really slowed down our O. We ran in the 60's in each of our first 2 games and this helps the D. In no way an I saying we are close to where we need to be but you can see progress so far. Frankly, Top 10 D's are getting lit up regularly in today's college football. LSU's vaunted secondary got eviscerated by Ellinger and he might be 4th on our QB depth chart.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Apparently Tua has to stop doing that. Tired out his arm.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The statistical difference between a top 20 vs a top 40 D is minuscule. The key for us is to quit giving up chunk plays and quit letting opponents off the hook on 3rd down. We have really slowed down our O. We ran in the 60's in each of our first 2 games and this helps the D. In no way an I saying we are close to where we need to be but you can see progress so far. Frankly, Top 10 D's are getting lit up regularly in today's college football. LSU's vaunted secondary got eviscerated by Ellinger and he might be 4th on our QB depth chart.
Hard to gauge improvement vs bad teams.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Hurts looks better than 2017. He still has a problem with consistency with ball placement on slants and bubble screens. Those routes live or die against quality competition by how easy it is for receiver to catch the ball and get back to top speed. Still, that knock is not uncommon for even solid college quarterback. We've won national titles with QBs who struggled with the same things.

The thing OU does best on offense with Riley is scheme wide-open receivers and I can tell Hurts is not gonna leave much of that easy money on the table in 2019.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
His pressers are maddening for OU fans and the press as well. It's as if when he opens his mouth Saban speaks. He talks like a 40 year old coach. Other players are constantly having to tell reporters that behind the scenes he has a great personality and is very humorous. You have to also remember, Mayfield was extremely out going and loquacious. Murray somewhere in between. When Hurts speaks he speaks from the perspective of the whole team and if you understand coaching philosophy it's very comforting. He is on a mission.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
That LSU defense is more of a product of a high flying offense. FACT!!!!

It has even had an effect on Bama’s defense. You gain in one area but give up something in another.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.