Leonard's Loser Redux - Week One

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Since it went over so well last year, I decided I'd try it again (just this once anyway).

For those of you too young to know what this is:
back particularly in the 1980s, there was a football prognostication show hosted by a guy named Leonard Postero. It was called "Leonard's Losers," and instead of picking who would win the football games, Leonard would talk in his cornpone, Andy Griffith style and predict who would LOSE the games instead. It was VERY popular on Southern radio stations in the 1980s.

Leonard, of course, can't be here today (something about passing away several weeks before 9/11). But this is intended both to elicit some chuckles and "yeah, I remember that," and not in any way intended as an insult to anyone. Now.....that being said....I have sort of followed his template of double entendres that may go a little further than some like. As with a lot of things, stereotypical humor can be....chuckled at, satire or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Try to lighten up and enjoy the post, okay?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" cue......)

"This is Percy Peabody telling ya, it's time for 'Leonard's Losers'.....with Leonard Post Toasties, the world's greatest football prognosticator. Tell 'em 'bout it, Lenny!"

Leonard:

Well thank ya Percy and HOW-dy, football fans. Another season gets under way tonight and I've spent the last nine months updating and upgrading the little smart pill machine for better output while downloading, downsizing, and thinking hard about which software to use. As they say down at the fire hall, 'Yeah, the far engine is red but you would be too if someone yanked on your hose.' But the season is heah tonight so let's get 'er under way.

Jawja Tech vs Clemson
Geoff Collins and the Humble Bumbles head to Death Valley this week hoping to put the sting on Dabo Swinney's frisky felines, but it'll take more than a swarm to deliver the honey. The defending champs ain't got no beehive, but they'll leave the Yeller and Black Attack as nothing but a Rambling Wreck. Leonard's loser: Jawja Tech.

UCLA vs Cincinnati
Chip Kelly and the Westwood brown bears head east this week for a Wild Kingdom attack on the Ohio River kittens, who would love nothing better than to answer the question, 'Does a bear Chip in the woods?' Luke Fickell and Cincinnati Cats ain't got no bear trap, and there's trouble a-Bruin in the opener. Leonard's Loser: Cincinnati.

Utah vs BYU
Kyle Wittingham and his Salt Lake tribe invade Provo Thirsty night in hopes of a massacre, but they'll have some serious reservations about meeting this group of middle-aged single gals face-to-face. Kalani Sitake and the mountain cats ain't got no reverse gear, but Utah will insist that they prefer it if you "bring 'em young." Leonard's Loser: BYU.

Wisconsin vs South Florida
Paul Chryst and his Madison omnivores enter the Bull ring waving a red flag Friday night, but they bettah watch that ego else they might get gored. Charlie Strong and his Little Horns ain't got no reverse gear, and the matador may leave this one with support under each arm. Leonard's Loser - in an upset - Wisconsin.

Oklahoma State versus Oregon State
Mike Gundy and his Stillwater Pokies ride the range to Reser this weekend, and they'll find a family of Beavers who may just not give a dam. Jonathan Smith and his Corvallis colony ain't got nothing to hide....but they ain't got no defense either against the onslaught of the Wild West. Leonard's Loser: Oregon State.

Duke versus Alabama

David Cutcliffe and his Legion of fallen angels cruise over to Atlanta Sat-dy to face an angry group of Pachyderms, and I can't for the life of me see why this basketball power is on a suicide mission. Nick Saban is overseeing a high protein breakfast - and the afternoon lunch will include this Messiah casting out the devils into a herd of pigs that run right down a hill and drown in the rising tide. Leonard's Loser: Duke.

South Carolina versus North Carolina
Will Muschamp and his angry roosters invade the northern neighbor this weekend, but they'll need a good escape plan or else be running around like chickens with they heads cut off. Mack Brown and his Chapel Hill Tar Heels ain't got no shoes, but they ain't got no Colt McCoy, neither. Leonard's Loser: North Carolina.

Aragun vs Awbun
Gus Malzahn and his orange felines head over to Dallas this weekend for a good old-fashioned duck hunt, but they'll find more than just a few decoys to distract them from the scent. Mario Cristobal and the Quack Attack ain't known for retreating, but they'll likely be calling fowl before it's over. Leonard's Loser - in a close one - Aragun.

I'll be right back after this message from Dear Old Dad.

Jawja vs Vanderbilt
Kirby Smart and the Red Clay Hounds set off on their next national title hunt by first making a stop in Nashville, and he'd better hope his team's tendency to "Jawja" goes into hibernation or gets spayed or neutered. Derek Mason and his Nashville admirals are trying to steady the ship, but it'll take more than desire to overcome the ability deficit. Leonard's Loser: Vandy.

Northwestern vs Stanford
The SAT Bowl gets under way as Pat Fitzgerald and his purple felines take the long trip to the Bay Area in hopes of leaving the Cardinal blue. David Shaw likes the look of his red and white, and the birds hope to leave the kittens black and blue. Leonard's Loser: Northwestern.

Oklahoma vs Houston
Dana Holgorsen and his mountain lions invade Norman this week in hopes of a repeat performance, but it'll take more than just showing their teeth to put a fright in OU. Lincoln Riley and his Sooner Schooner gots themselves a new driver, and before it's over, Houston is gonna know how bad it Hurts. Leonard's Loser: Houston.

Well, that's all for today so until next week - so long neighbors. Get me outta heah Percy.

("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" starts.....)

Percy:
Lennud'll be back next week with anutha bunch 'o losers. TILL then...this is Percy Peabody...hoping you'll be WITH us

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Since it went over so well last year, I decided I'd try it again (just this once anyway).

For those of you too young to know what this is:
back particularly in the 1980s, there was a football prognostication show hosted by a guy named Leonard Postero. It was called "Leonard's Losers," and instead of picking who would win the football games, Leonard would talk in his cornpone, Andy Griffith style and predict who would LOSE the games instead. It was VERY popular on Southern radio stations in the 1980s.

Leonard, of course, can't be here today (something about passing away several weeks before 9/11). But this is intended both to elicit some chuckles and "yeah, I remember that," and not in any way intended as an insult to anyone. Now.....that being said....I have sort of followed his template of double entendres that may go a little further than some like. As with a lot of things, stereotypical humor can be....chuckled at, satire or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Try to lighten up and enjoy the post, okay?
I remember Leonard's Losers very well. I always looked forward to that segment on the radio every week... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" cue......)

"This is Percy Peabody telling ya, it's time for 'Leonard's Losers'.....with Leonard Post Toasties, the world's greatest football prognosticator. Tell 'em 'bout it, Lenny!"

Leonard:

Well thank ya Percy and HOW-dy, football fans. Another season gets under way tonight and I've spent the last nine months updating and upgrading the little smart pill machine for better output while downloading, downsizing, and thinking hard about which software to use. As they say down at the fire hall, 'Yeah, the far engine is red but you would be too if someone yanked on your hose.' But the season is heah tonight so let's get 'er under way.

Jawja Tech vs Clemson
Geoff Collins and the Humble Bumbles head to Death Valley this week hoping to put the sting on Dabo Swinney's frisky felines, but it'll take more than a swarm to deliver the honey. The defending champs ain't got no beehive, but they'll leave the Yeller and Black Attack as nothing but a Rambling Wreck. Leonard's loser: Jawja Tech.

UCLA vs Cincinnati
Chip Kelly and the Westwood brown bears head east this week for a Wild Kingdom attack on the Ohio River kittens, who would love nothing better than to answer the question, 'Does a bear Chip in the woods?' Luke Fickell and Cincinnati Cats ain't got no bear trap, and there's trouble a-Bruin in the opener. Leonard's Loser: Cincinnati.

Utah vs BYU
Kyle Wittingham and his Salt Lake tribe invade Provo Thirsty night in hopes of a massacre, but they'll have some serious reservations about meeting this group of middle-aged single gals face-to-face. Kalani Sitake and the mountain cats ain't got no reverse gear, but Utah will insist that they prefer it if you "bring 'em young." Leonard's Loser: BYU.

Wisconsin vs South Florida
Paul Chryst and his Madison omnivores enter the Bull ring waving a red flag Friday night, but they bettah watch that ego else they might get gored. Charlie Strong and his Little Horns ain't got no reverse gear, and the matador may leave this one with support under each arm. Leonard's Loser - in an upset - Wisconsin.

Oklahoma State versus Oregon State
Mike Gundy and his Stillwater Pokies ride the range to Reser this weekend, and they'll find a family of Beavers who may just not give a dam. Jonathan Smith and his Corvallis colony ain't got nothing to hide....but they ain't got no defense either against the onslaught of the Wild West. Leonard's Loser: Oregon State.

Duke versus Alabama

David Cutcliffe and his Legion of fallen angels cruise over to Atlanta Sat-dy to face an angry group of Pachyderms, and I can't for the life of me see why this basketball power is on a suicide mission. Nick Saban is overseeing a high protein breakfast - and the afternoon lunch will include this Messiah casting out the devils into a herd of pigs that run right down a hill and drown in the rising tide. Leonard's Loser: Duke.

South Carolina versus North Carolina
Will Muschamp and his angry roosters invade the northern neighbor this weekend, but they'll need a good escape plan or else be running around like chickens with they heads cut off. Mack Brown and his Chapel Hill Tar Heels ain't got no shoes, but they ain't got no Colt McCoy, neither. Leonard's Loser: North Carolina.

Aragun vs Awbun
Gus Malzahn and his orange felines head over to Dallas this weekend for a good old-fashioned duck hunt, but they'll find more than just a few decoys to distract them from the scent. Mario Cristobal and the Quack Attack ain't known for retreating, but they'll likely be calling fowl before it's over. Leonard's Loser - in a close one - Aragun.

I'll be right back after this message from Dear Old Dad.

Jawja vs Vanderbilt
Kirby Smart and the Red Clay Hounds set off on their next national title hunt by first making a stop in Nashville, and he'd better hope his team's tendency to "Jawja" goes into hibernation or gets spayed or neutered. Derek Mason and his Nashville admirals are trying to steady the ship, but it'll take more than desire to overcome the ability deficit. Leonard's Loser: Vandy.

Northwestern vs Stanford
The SAT Bowl gets under way as Pat Fitzgerald and his purple felines take the long trip to the Bay Area in hopes of leaving the Cardinal blue. David Shaw likes the look of his red and white, and the birds hope to leave the kittens black and blue. Leonard's Loser: Northwestern.

Oklahoma vs Houston
Dana Holgorsen and his mountain lions invade Norman this week in hopes of a repeat performance, but it'll take more than just showing their teeth to put a fright in OU. Lincoln Riley and his Sooner Schooner gots themselves a new driver, and before it's over, Houston is gonna know how bad it Hurts. Leonard's Loser: Houston.

Well, that's all for today so until next week - so long neighbors. Get me outta heah Percy.

("Foggy Mountain Breakdown" starts.....)

Percy:
Lennud'll be back next week with anutha bunch 'o losers. TILL then...this is Percy Peabody...hoping you'll be WITH us
You realize of course that you are now obligated to do this every week for us... :cool2:

[I hope that you do!] :biggrin2:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Love this. It was a big deal to be able to hear Lenard's Losa's back in the 70's. Unfortunately Leonard and the Rammer Jammer paper went away about the same time. Miss them both.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I have fond memories of listening to Leonard's Losers with my dad on Sat morning. On Sunday we would listen to Nascar while working on the car or fixing our bicycles. He had that radio for 30+ years.

Thanks for the post, Selma.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Well done sir!
I heard the show in my head. Always loved hearing Leonard’s Losers but never could quite figure out when it was on. Seemed to skip around.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Awesome Selma. Takes us old timers back a few decades.

My all time favorite Leonard’s Loser memory was as a 17 year old in 1977 driving across town (in a rain storm) to officiate a girls a girls volleyball tournament.

Alabama (the nucleus of which would go on to win titles 1978 & 1979) was ranked #7 and playing the #1 ranked USC Trojans. And Leonard gets to his prognostication for this game: “Leonard’s Loser.....in an upset....the Trojans of USC”.

I nearly ran off the road. I expected Bama to play well, but going to LA and beating USC was going to be a tough task.

But old Leonard was right as rain that day. Bama pulled the upset 21-20.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I loved Leonards Loosers. I listened to it nearly all the time.
Reminded me of my Daddy's Holly Pond kin... They were really country...
Now there are Million Dollar Estates where those Cotton Fields and Corn Fields grew.
Gone are the worn out trucks... Replaced by BMWs these days.
Instead of people listening to Joe Rumore on WVOK, now people watch TV with young guys in tight jeans and big hats sing about something they only heard of...

Keep up the good work Selma. I love the current Leonards Losers.
Now if you would only do a Paul Harvey segment... ;)
I can hear Leonards Losers and Paul Harvey in my head... I loved em both.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That brought back so many fond memories of listening to Leonard's Losers with my dad.

Thank you Selma. I could hear Leonard's voice and my dad's laughter in my mind while reading this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.