Coach Saban sending players a message on radio show

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Our society has embraced disrespect period.
Welcome to the "kids today" coach and it's not going to get anything but worse. Our society has embraced disrespect in sports and you can go to any youth league sports field and see signs of it. We've run into it more times than I care to count over the last few years with our kids in baseball. The crazy thing is, in almost all the cases, the coaches and parents condoned it and just chalked it up to "they're just having fun". "If you don't like it, stop us" etc. I'm really not surprised. My guess is he's talking about not only what he's seen on tv but our own players.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Perhaps an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. Especially with what appears now to be 2 freshman at ILB.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I’d love to know who Coach referenced when saying energy vampires. I have at least one guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Maybe playing Duke in the opener also contributed to his remarks. After years of playing top tier talent in the opener, providing motivation for those summer workouts, Duke is not a team to instill fear.
That's a bit worrisome. I'm sure a lot of the guys were working hard to make up for Clemson or for personal reasons, but having a .... game like Duke to open the season isn't going to give teams a sense of urgency in the summer.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Among those who stayed ... There's a certain defensive tackle who, up to this point in his career, talks a much better game than he plays.
FWIW he seems to have realized his mistakes from last year and is rededicating himself...

Alabama DL Raekwon Davis ready to make most of (surprising) senior year

“My junior year I just got caught up in all the media stuff and all that,” he said. “I don’t really know how to explain that. Everybody [was] like, ‘Your junior year you expect to leave.’ Everybody saying, ‘You leaving.’ And all this projection stuff they’ve got, it’s all crazy.”
“But at the end of the day I know I ain’t do my job and I ain’t helped this team and I ain’t want to leave this team in a bad situation with me as a person,” Davis said. “I didn’t want to show Coach Saban I have bad character because I am a good guy. I feel like if I didn’t do it right, I ain’t supposed to do it how it’s supposed to be done, I am not going to just leave it like that.”
“I mean it showed,” Davis said with brutal honesty. “Did y’all see my sophomore stats and my junior year stats? Totally different. So it was me…I didn’t do, like the little things. The little things matter. Last year, as a person, I wasn’t doing it. Just I feel like it wasn’t me last year. I feel like this is my chance to prove myself to everybody like my team that I can do it.”

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If you hear the entire show................

He also talked about handing out discipline. Said young people today don't seem to grasp that actions have consequences. Discipline has to be consistent. Younger players are watching the older players, and if they see there are no consequences, then they feel they can do the same stuff.

Also, discipline isn't the same as punishment. He can make offenders do community service, or whatever, but the way to get to them is to take away the one thing they all want.

Playing time. Take away playing time, and that makes the point.

So, yes, it is safe to say there is some concern. And CNS is sending several messages, early on, because he sees things he isn't happy about.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, back to the main point.................

Somewhere in Allen, TX........................

"Hey, you just got mentioned on Coach Saban's show!"
"HUH?"
"He just said if the players want to talk to the other team that they should join the debate team. In language that should have been bleeped!
So, need any more members for your team? CNS may have some recruits for you."
"That's funny, because a student in one of the Debate I classes is on the JV, and they having their first game tonight. I told him when they go out there to shake hands that he should reach out and say 'Would you care to engage in a friendly debate?'."
"SO..................IT WAS YOU! I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! STOP DISTRACTING OUR PLAYERS. THEY HAVE ENOUGH ISSUES TO CONTEND WITH ALREADY!"

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If you hear the entire show................

He also talked about handing out discipline. Said young people today don't seem to grasp that actions have consequences. Discipline has to be consistent. Younger players are watching the older players, and if they see there are no consequences, then they feel they can do the same stuff.

Also, discipline isn't the same as punishment. He can make offenders do community service, or whatever, but the way to get to them is to take away the one thing they all want.

Playing time. Take away playing time, and that makes the point.

So, yes, it is safe to say there is some concern. And CNS is sending several messages, early on, because he sees things he isn't happy about.
the leadership last year was a huge concern all season long, and there may be some lingering for this season. He's trying to get that under control before it get worse.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That's a bit worrisome. I'm sure a lot of the guys were working hard to make up for Clemson or for personal reasons, but having a .... game like Duke to open the season isn't going to give teams a sense of urgency in the summer.
I know this is easier said than done. But the first game of the season shouldn't be hard to "get up for" regardless of the opponent. Again, I understand it's easier said than done. But with the separation Bama (and a few other programs) has put between themselves and the rest of the country. It's really hard to find a team that can truly challenge Bama. Look at last season's conference games. Our margin of victory in conference games was unreal, borderline silly. It's also hard to ensure a quality OOC opponent for openers because of how far out these games get scheduled and the volatility of the health of most programs. Team A was "good" when you scheduled the game three years out. Three years later they're awful. Our opener against Louisville is a classic example.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The really sad thing about last year is we had the talent to win the national title but obviously there were a great many things occurring behind the scenes. That was the most unorganized I have ever scene us on defense since CNS arrived. Tosh was in way over his head and had to give up play calling to Golding who was in the box. Thus wholesale changes to the defensive staff.

On offense we were explosive early, had injury issues with Tua and that side of the coaching staff was unraveling. Locksley had a foot out the door, Enos had a foot out the door, Gattis had a foot out the door and our play reflected in the latter part of the season. The recent bickering between Locksley and Gattis in the media about game planning and play calling probably shows a rift there. The gutless way Enos left without even meeting with CNS show the type of people we had.

I think in all of this we are leaving out something that looking back may have played in to what was occurring. For CNS to have hip surgery after the season leads me to believe it got to the point that he couldn't manage the pain any longer. He just doesn't strike me as the guy that runs to the doctor for every little thing. I know people who've had that procedure and they will tell you that the pain is unbearable and you don't really know how bad you were until it's repaired.

And to think with all of this we were 14-1 and SEC champs. Here's to a good 2019! RTR

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
the leadership last year was a huge concern all season long, and there may be some lingering for this season. He's trying to get that under control before it get worse.
Could be........ considering the ending of the season, they shouldn’t have any reason not to come out ready to play against anyone. The jaw jacking should be the last thing anyone wants to involve themselves in. Saban will get it under control, I am confident........

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Whether this is a reaction from watching other teams (doubtful, imo) or it's directed at Bama players we don't know.

I can only hope this is about some other game, but I worry this is about Bama. If he's dealing this issue before game one, it makes me reevaluate my thoughts about this season.
Judging from what we've seen said from Enos, Locksley, and Gattis it very well could be that some of that type of thinking has crept into the team. I remember watching a lot of stupid, personal foul, taunting, smack talking penalties at key moments last year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.