Game Thread: Georgia State at Twelvessee ESPNU

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I take it back after reflection, and hearing from Vol fans and other SEC fans. This is not just the worst loss in Tennessee history, but possibly the worst loss by a power 5 team ever. Georgia St pretty much made Tennessee quit. This wasnt a team that quit after a disappointing game or in the midst of a long season, this wasnt a team playing a G5 team capable of pulling off a suprise win like Boise, and this wasnt against a team that is destined for a Sunbelt championship. This volunteer team quit during fall camp, and that is ultimately on the coach. There was no emotion by Jeremy Pruitt, no sense of him caring, and quit frankly its looking more and more like Derek Dooley, Butch, and Lane Kiffin are superior HCs than him. If Tennessee fires him after this or after another one of these lack of care performances they will be well justified in doing so because this was an embarassment so epic that it cant be ignored. Yeah teams get better after Week 1 and after suprising losses, but usually the blame is attributed to a lack of focus, and rarely a lack of care.

This seems like an open rebellion vs Jeremy Pruitt by the players.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Link or sources to back this up?
I take it back after reflection, and hearing from Vol fans and other SEC fans. This is not just the worst loss in Tennessee history, but possibly the worst loss by a power 5 team ever. Georgia St pretty much made Tennessee quit. This wasnt a team that quit after a disappointing game or in the midst of a long season, this wasnt a team playing a G5 team capable of pulling off a suprise win like Boise, and this wasnt against a team that is destined for a Sunbelt championship. This volunteer team quit during fall camp, and that is ultimately on the coach. There was no emotion by Jeremy Pruitt, no sense of him caring, and quit frankly its looking more and more like Derek Dooley, Butch, and Lane Kiffin are superior HCs than him. If Tennessee fires him after this or after another one of these lack of care performances they will be well justified in doing so because this was an embarassment so epic that it cant be ignored. Yeah teams get better after Week 1 and after suprising losses, but usually the blame is attributed to a lack of focus, and rarely a lack of care.

This seems like an open rebellion vs Jeremy Pruitt by the players.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Link or sources to back this up?

Say what you will about Tennessee’s previous football coach, but Jones never lost to a Group of 5 opponent. Neither did Derek Dooley, nor Lane Kiffin.

This wasn’t a respected Group of 5 foe like Boise State or Central Florida upsetting the Vols. It was a team that went 2-10 last season and is in just its seventh season playing in the Football Bowl Subdivision.The worst part for Tennessee is, this didn’t feel like a fluke. The Panthers befuddled Tennessee’s defense and made enough key stops to win without the need for much funny business.“We were in better physical condition. We wore them down in the trenches,” Georgia State coach Shawn Elliott said in an on-field interview after the game.

As Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt put it: “The best team out there won the game today.”That’s a troubling thought.Pruitt offered a bleaker assessment of his roster after Saturday’s result than what he described before the season.“We need competition on our team. It makes you better,” Pruitt said. “And there’s certain positions we have none. We have zero. We’ve got to recruit and get some guys back to give us an opportunity.”
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2019/08/31/tennessee-football-georgia-state-upset-ut-vols-score-jeremy-pruitt-butch-jones-jarrett-guarantano/2119386001/

When we are SERIOUSLY questioning if Tennessee is capable of beating Chattanooga and UAB, its more than a bad execution issue.

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I suspect Pruitt tried to institute a harder training than the previous coaches tried to do. At Tennessee the players have been use to dictating the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
People over there already tring to hang JP out to dry. They need to be reminded of Cpt Krispy Kremes efforts to submarine the Leach hire and not hiring Schiano because of some rumor about something that was shown that he had no involvement in or knowledge of and then had to go to option 5 or 6 before finally finding someone willing to take the job.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I (and at least one other member) posted this in another thread but I'm using my benevolent dictator license to also post here given my disdain for twelvesee.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
People over there already tring to hang JP out to dry. They need to be reminded of Cpt Krispy Kremes efforts to submarine the Leach hire and not hiring Schiano because of some rumor about something that was shown that he had no involvement in or knowledge of and then had to go to option 5 or 6 before finally finding someone willing to take the job.
It's difficult to feel sorry for him. He had to be aware of what has gone on up there as well as what Fulmer and crew did to try and bring Alabama down. I understand when you are in your dream profession, you want to work your way to the top, and Tennessee was an SEC HC job. But knowing full well the history as well as the current day dynamics, it was a foolish move to make. Other jobs were going to come available. Now it cost his alma mater a national championship (fully believe we win it all last season if Pruitt is still our DC), and very likely may be the derailing of this career aspirations.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He is making almost $4,000,000 a year. He could get fired and never have to work again. Not feeling sorry for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.