Game Thread: Official Post-Game Thread Bama vs. Duke...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Harris reminds me a little of TJ Yeldon...smooth and speedy but can’t push the pile when he needs to.

Looks like Robinson is going to have to take the power back role.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Man oh man. LSU is going to be feeling their oats with their “superstar” qb Burrows. Ugh. Is gonna be a nauseating love fest.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Just an observation on CNS: this is 2x in one week that he has gone ballistic in public in ways he did not do before...at least that intensely. Something is going on here -- either he is just totally frustrated at the whole scenario of the last year with coaches leaving and knee injuries -- or the stress of aging is catching up with him.

I'm only a year older than CNS, but I know that as you pass 60-65 you have less and less of a capacity to deal with stress. You see the windows and opportunities in life closing due to decisions beyond your control -- and it is frustrating. CNS is in an incredibly stressful position and I hope that he is somehow able to either handle it or pass it off to others. He is still so totally engaged in every aspect of the program...whether recruiting, managing, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth on a beautiful Sunday am in Charleston, SC. Pray that Dorian goes EAST!!!
I think it’s another message Saban is sending. He had hip surgery in the offseason, his team is coming off the worst loss in his tenure here, and the National media seemingly wants to force him into retirement and with all that he had to suspend some players as well. I think Saban is just showing that he’s not done yet and is still the baddest man on the planet.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Just putting this out there...

Week 1 stats
Tua Tagovailoa: 21-31, 336 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints
Trevor Lawrence: 13-23, 168 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Typical first game. Lots of things we can improve on. Tua and Jeudy will be the show this year. OL needs some gelling. I believe we will be fine in the kicking game this year. Sark did a great job. Way too early to glean too much. The LB play I thought was good all things considered. They are young but highly talented. Tua was ready and erased any health concerns. Going to be fun to watch this year.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Like others, I was underwhelmed with the OL's performance. Hopefully they will find the right combination up front and, are in sync by the TAMU game. Our lack of depth at RB is glaring. Harris is too much of a sideways runner, he hesitates and tries to break things outside this gives the defense ample pursuit time. Robinson is pretty much a straight ahead runner who has power but seems to go down after the first hit. Add these runners faults to an unimpressive OL and it could come back to bite us when we play a better opponent. Both of Reichard's FG attempts would have been good from 55-57 yards. No doubt he has the distance part just needs to improve on his "towards".

Defensively, Lee and Harris did an outstanding job, albeit Duke's offense would not scare anybody in the SEC. Secondary played exceptionally well, the DL was strong, but the pass rush needs to improve before we face TAMU. Lee reminds me somewhat of Trey DePriest and Shaun Dion Hamilton. Best WR corps in college football and the NFL.
You underwhelmed? ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We spent most of 2018 being the best team in the country until we weren't.

I kinda prefer the deficiency being obvious from the beginning because that recipe seems to be a consistent theme of all the teams that actually finished a national champ.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Just an observation on CNS: this is 2x in one week that he has gone ballistic in public in ways he did not do before...at least that intensely. Something is going on here -- either he is just totally frustrated at the whole scenario of the last year with coaches leaving and knee injuries -- or the stress of aging is catching up with him.

I'm only a year older than CNS, but I know that as you pass 60-65 you have less and less of a capacity to deal with stress. You see the windows and opportunities in life closing due to decisions beyond your control -- and it is frustrating. CNS is in an incredibly stressful position and I hope that he is somehow able to either handle it or pass it off to others. He is still so totally engaged in every aspect of the program...whether recruiting, managing, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth on a beautiful Sunday am in Charleston, SC. Pray that Dorian goes EAST!!!
It is more of how we finished our season and I've heard that it didn't sit right with him so he has been on everyone butt to do everything the right way. So no age has nothing to do with it. It is more of his wanting to do everything right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was pleased with the game for the most part. OL will be fine. We have experimented so much in fall camp so I kinda knew we would struggle somewhat. We will be fine. My only concern were Tua and how much he improved and I was quite pleased with his performance. He took what defense gave him and boy he was dangerous!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How would you like to be opposing defenses trying to figure out how to play those receivers

You can’t double team. You can stay in man with the crossing routes. You can’t play zone because of Tua’s accuracy.

Lovin’ it

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just putting this out there...

Week 1 stats
Tua Tagovailoa: 21-31, 336 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints
Trevor Lawrence: 13-23, 168 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints
I would imagine Tua's numbers will look better next week too.
I thought Tua was 26 of 31.
Reminder...most all of this was in 2 quarters too. Had 2 or 3 big throws negated by penalties and we know about the very slow start on the first couple of series.

Of course, he might not play more than 2 quarters next week either.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I’m just glad for a win and that football is back. Hearing that au is considering an extension for Gus
I was hoping they'd do it in a fit of emotion as Oregon was taping the bow on their "HUGE FUMBLE RETURN". He even "BOOM-ed!" a couple times which should mean some kind of bonus.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Finally rewatched Coach’s sideline meltdown and what preceded it.

That flag has to be one of the most idiotic flags I have ever seen thrown. The ref moved INTO the space between the players and coaches as the players were coming off the field. If anything he ran into the coach. (I know the letter of the law says ref has to have room but he went into where everybody was). There was absolutely nothing egregious or excessive about what anybody did except what the ref did. He is such a puny zebra nobody saw him as he moved into a space where only fully grown men belonged.

The play was over on change of possession via turnover. What did Lil Zebra expect was happening? If the play is in action and a Coach is on the white border, sure, that’s a deserved flag. That isn’t what happened here.

CNS, from an example perspective, went overboard but from a stupidity perspective, Tiny Ref wins the Moron of the Day award.

7E526BE2-58C8-4E23-BC11-19E427D911F0.jpg

Last edited:

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I think we played very well for the most part. Oline does need to gel but that's usually the case because of all the experimentation in the spring and fall practices. Our running game will be fine and Sark appears to be willing to go short routes and let playmakers make plays. I loved that. Don't have to hit the homerun every time at the plate.
Defense played well and linebacker play was really good, all things being considered.
When we go to aTm we'll be ready (not saying it will be easy) and then LSU.
We have the makings of another special team.
As far as the CNS rant on the sideline. I loved it. Showed he still has that fire in his gut and it also seemed to help fire the team up a little more.
Yeah, Duke's offense wasn't anything special but we still had to play the game and we could have looked a lot worse but took care of business.
All in all we looked better than most of any of the other "contenders" out there on opening day.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Been looking at the UGA-Vandy game while doing chores this morning. The Dawgs o-line is very impressive. They returned most of their guys right?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.