Game Thread: Official Post-Game Thread Bama vs. Duke...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Reminder...most all of this was in 2 quarters too. Had 2 or 3 big throws negated by penalties and we know about the very slow start on the first couple of series.

Of course, he might not play more than 2 quarters next week either.
He better not have to play the whole game next week.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Just putting this out there...

Week 1 stats
Tua Tagovailoa: 21-31, 336 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints
Trevor Lawrence: 13-23, 168 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints
Tua was 26 of 31, actually. QBR 94.1 (the highest of any QB against a Power 5 opponent)

Other QBRs, FWIW:
Bo Nix - 44.8
Trevor Lawrence - 70.6 (lower than his backup)
Jake Fromm - 70.7
Sam Ehlinger - 90.7
Kellen Mond - 92.0
Jacob Eason - 95.2
Justin Fields - 96.1
Joe Burrow - 97.2
Jalen Hurts - 98.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Najee Harris runs “side to side” too much? Guys need to go watch the tape. Both he and B-Rob are downhill bruisers all the way! The OL run blocking was very frustrating. It’s hard to go down hill when a DL or LB is three yards in the backfield half a second after the snap.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Najee Harris runs “side to side” too much? Guys need to go watch the tape. Both he and B-Rob are downhill bruisers all the way! The OL run blocking was very frustrating. It’s hard to go down hill when a DL or LB is three yards in the backfield half a second after the snap.

True. Let's hope this OL can be coached up. I certainly would not have much confidence running behind our OL as it was inthe Duke game. Better days ahead I hope.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

I was thinking this exactly while watching the game Saturday. He tends to bounce it outside. Henry did that as well his first couple of years. I think we will really miss Jacobs and Damien if Najee and Robinson don’t hit their holes faster and learn to run between the tackles more assertively.

I watched a lot of games this weekend, including pretty much every top team, and we looked as good or much better than all of them. Unfortunately, I don’t think we find out just how good we really are until 10/12.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I just read that Jake Bentley broke his foot and will be out at least 6 weeks, so I guess BAMA will see Hilinski? when we play at South Carolina. I heard he's supposed to be pretty good. I know Saban will do his research to prepare for him.

I hate to see anyone get injured from any team.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Not sure if it was leftover from January or what it was, but I was just not into this game. Good things happened, bad things happened...I just had no emotion for this game.

I'm sure it will change as the season gets into more meaningful games.

Although it was fun seeing Cutcliffe run the wishbone....Lee having a good first game...Tua and his receivers. The OL was very glaring to me, no push. The DBs not turning for the ball a few times was disappointing. D played well overall with all the unpracticed formations they had thrown at them.

Still no holding calls against Bamas opponent.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Forgot to mention Phidarian Mathis (#48), sub DL was enthusiastically all over the place and effective in his little bit of time.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not sure if it was leftover from January or what it was, but I was just not into this game. Good things happened, bad things happened...I just had no emotion for this game.

I'm sure it will change as the season gets into more meaningful games.

Although it was fun seeing Cutcliffe run the wishbone....Lee having a good first game...Tua and his receivers. The OL was very glaring to me, no push. The DBs not turning for the ball a few times was disappointing. D played well overall with all the unpracticed formations they had thrown at them.

Still no holding calls against Bamas opponent.
No offense, but how can you not be into the first game of the year?

Something not right about that statement. My Spidey sense is tingling.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
My spidey sense says the OL needs to gel and get Brown back. And Najee needs to run more north/south.

Apologies for not realizing Cajun was having a little fun.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Deep Look at why Alabama Running game struggled:

“When you throw RPOs, you don’t always block the secondary folks,” Saban said. “I think when runners press the holes the right way and run where they’re supposed to run and people show up in the right places from the offensive line to be able to block them. And I think that there was a number of occasions where we had a hat on hat and we did not finish the blocks like we need to be able to run the ball effectively.”
Harris and Robinson entered in the second quarter after sitting the first 15 minutes. Saban said he wasn’t sure how much rhythm played into the trouble generating rushing yardage after that point.
“But I know this much,” Saban said, “there’s a certain way you’re supposed to run the ball on certain plays. You have to trust and have confidence in that. And that’s the thing we want to focus on with those guys to be able to do. If that takes rhythm to do that, then we need to improve their rhythm. If it takes more eye control and eye discipline to see what you’re supposed to see and respond that way, then that’s what we need to do.”
Both Saban and right tackle Jedrick Wills noted the pre-snap movement of the Duke defensive line as a factor. Wills said the stunts are common “when we play teams of that caliber.”
This is why I'm not worried.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
My spidey sense says the OL needs to gel and get Brown back. And Najee needs to run more north/south.

Apologies for not realizing Cajun was having a little fun.
Like any family we have Pollyannas and Eeyores. Usually you can’t tell right away where one falls. You came off quickly as an Eeyore. Which is totally fine.

The Sam Elliott eye gaze is sometimes used for those who are a Tiger in Elephant clothes. (Tiger can also be substituted with a Bulldog, Duck, Longhorn, and apparently now a “Sooner”).

So far I smell an Eeyore. But I have Sam in copy mode at all times.

Is there significance to your username?

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I'd say Eeyore is likely right at this point.

Username...old gamer name I came up with about 15 years ago, which is about as long as I've been coming to tidefans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.