Question: What will fix our OL problems? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Southern Adirondack mountains of upstate NY

Re: What will fix our OL problems?

i remain optimistic until proven otherwise, methinks time together to gel will heal many mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    What can Brown do for you? Well , starting with game 5, be dominant at LG. That’s when our line should gel for the stretch run. Until then, I think Evan Neal could be the main cog at that spot. Just for his mammoth size, his technique will get better with experience. Until then, I can see us running right for awhile. It’s not just the line, the backs and tight ends need better technique with chip blocking help! I saw a few whiffs.
    Brown will actually be back game three versus USCe (four game suspension- Oklahoma, Clemson, Duke, and NM State).

Having him back should help considerably with Wills really being the only guy out there yesterday with significant game reps.

Major thing I want to see is this line “getting off” in the run game and re-establishing the LOS then getting to the second level. The only way you get there is by working together as a unit.

The adage is “the greatest improvement as a team happens between game one and game two. It will be interesting to see how they look next week.

BamaNation All-American bamagradinATL's Avatar

Time to gel. IIRC, 3 freshman played yesterday.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Patient fans
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    OL is really one position not five individuals. In order for it to work well, it takes to work together. 4 guys can do their jobs perfectly while one guy whiffs and it looks awful. Once they settle in and become one unit, I think we will see better OL play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This in my opinion. Communication will no doubt improve. D. Brown is a proven commodity. There`s plenty of raw talent.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Duke didn't really bring too many to block. They were basically doing a 3-3 zone blitz most passing downs. Sometimes they'd bring a 6th guy but it was mostly just 5 man rushes from what I recollect. The problems were identifying the pressures and responding to any line games at the snap. Guards looked the worse but may've been put in a bad position due to the line calls by the center or quarterback. The fixes are simple to type but likely harder to achieve on the field: more practice and better technique. Furthermore, we rotated a lot of linemen even in the first half so it is safe to say the staff treated this like a preseason game on the OL. Once they settle into a starting group I imagine the performance will improve.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Brown will actually be back game three versus USCe (four game suspension- Oklahoma, Clemson, Duke, and NM State).

Having him back should help considerably with Wills really being the only guy out there yesterday with significant game reps.

Major thing I want to see is this line “getting off” in the run game and re-establishing the LOS then getting to the second level. The only way you get there is by working together as a unit.

The adage is “the greatest improvement as a team happens between game one and game two. It will be interesting to see how they look next week.
    I hope you’re right, but everything I’ve read says he’s suspended for the first 4 games of this season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post

Good to know about Brown getting back.

If we are having this conversation next week after game 2, I'll be much more concerned.

BamaNation Second Team

Well, the coaching staff now has game film to id the things that need the most work. The line has had a game to take the first steps to get communication and gelling started. It's going to take a couple of games to be sure but the line will be ok. Plus, Duke actually had a pretty solid Dline. They played well and well disciplined. They were also really quick.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    Just to much penetration by the Duke defense. I realize this is the first game so not going to panic. Are we missing assignments? Some of the running backs were side stepping the hole because it was closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After giving it some thought...
    Our OL didn't get the job done.
    If Duke could get to our QB, and contain our RBs...
    We got a problem.
    We won pretty impressively, I put that on Tua, and on schemes Duke wasn't prepared for.
    Tua and our receivers were impressive.
    Sark called a very good game in the 2nd half.
    AND... Our overall team speed was impressive.
    We had the better athletes.
    We will need a much better performance by the time
    we play TAMU.
    We need a better performance from our RBs,
    our Offensive Line, and we better be able to
    make some Field Goals.

I was pretty impressed by the overall play of our Defense.

COACH SABAN IS ALREADY IN MID SEASON FORM.
    (Thank Goodness)
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; September 1st, 2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: format

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    I hope you’re right, but everything I’ve read says he’s suspended for the first 4 games of this season.
    If that's true, then that would be 6 games of suspension. Hopefully, it's 4 games, including the 2 playoff games.

BamaNation Third Team

I hate to say it, but, I start by replacing Owens at center. He was getting destroyed, pushed back into the backfield most of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    If that's true, then that would be 6 games of suspension. Hopefully, it's 4 games, including the 2 playoff games.
    Hate to tell y’all this, but from what I remember, it is a 6 game suspension. 2 games from last year and the first 4 for this year.

Now, all that being said, I wouldn’t be mad if he came back after NMSU. Would love to be proven wrong.

Roll Tide!!
    ChattTide