Question: What will fix our OL problems? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: What will fix our OL problems?

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    We might want to try Dickerson at Center and give Womack a try at guard. Brown getting back would be a real plus but I do remember it was a 4 game suspension this year. So it will be a while. I expect some improvement over the next two games but they have a ways to go. Duke's not a bad defense though.
    They looked pretty quick to me, not physically overpowering.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    They looked pretty quick to me, not physically overpowering.
    Both Saban and Cutcliffe said that their front seven was very good -- not overpowering, but quick and knew how to play defense. I'll take their assessment. I reviewed the game again watching the OL -- not as bad as I thought. Yes, some breakdowns, but nothing that experience will not fix. Also, our pass blocking was, for the most part, very good as the game went on. We started picking up their blitzes earlier and easier.

Relax, people...this is going to be a dominant team.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

What will fix our OL problems?

As others have said, time playing together and gelling will fix a lot of what we saw. But, Duke had some (relatively) small guys that our OL was asked to block a few times, and the small guys out-quicked our big lineman. I saw Wills whiff on such a matchup at least 3 times in the game, so Iím thinking Duke just had a few unfavorable matchups for us that contributed to some of what we saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ccc2259; September 2nd, 2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rtr90 View Post
    LOL

And I got warning talking about OL in game thread

GOAT will get it fixed .. lot of times I have questioned his use of players only to realize months later that it was the correct decision.
    It ain't always what you say but how and where and when you say it.

For instance, this is not the place to discuss any disagreement with mods or admins. That should take place in a private message.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Second Team theshow4jsu_13's Avatar

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think it was a few factors. Mainly youth. The talent is there. And Duke was doing a lot of stunting and slanting that gave them trouble. These issues will probably sort themselves out by this week and the next. I don't see a need to be concerned..... yet....

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

I posted this in other thread, but I"ll post here:
    https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...d-vs-duke.html

We will be okay. I know Everyone thinking Dickerson will move to CEnter and Brown will take over guard position when he get back, but i'm not sure if Brown will get his job back.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Joe Pendry coaching the OL and Burton Burns coaching the RBs.

The most worrying thing to me was when I watched the OL near the goal line on run plays. We didnít charge out. Instead, we stood nearly straight up and got pushed back. Hard to understand why this should be our strategy against a much smaller DL. Anyone else notice this? Surely they were not physically stronger than us. We they just getting under our pads? I worry that our OL may be too heavy and slow footed. I probably just donít understand basic OL coaching techniques,

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I posted this in other thread, but I"ll post here:
    https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...d-vs-duke.html

We will be okay. I know Everyone thinking Dickerson will move to CEnter and Brown will take over guard position when he get back, but i'm not sure if Brown will get his job back.
    I hope he does. We clearly have some guys on the OL but Cornbread was a difference maker for an OG last year.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; September 3rd, 2019 at 01:08 PM.

BamaNation All-American

I'm hoping that more game reps together will solve it. We are certainly still experimenting with the lineup and you have Brown waiting to comeback from suspension. I can't believe that Saban would have made the comments he did about us being fine on the OL if he was actually worried about that group. It seems we have plenty of talent there and just need some time to decide on who is starting and then let them gel.

I think many people forget that the 2012 OL was not good at the beginning of the season compared to how it ended. I seem to remember us struggling mightily against Western Kentucky in the second or third game of the year.

Brown was really playing well last year when we lost him. It seemed we never replaced that push that he was able to get. Obviously someone can steal his job while he is suspended but through this first game there's no evidence that he won't reclaim his spot. He really moves people. One of the key factors in our loss to Clemson was the inability to get those tough short yardage conversions against a very talented DL. He would have helped us no doubt.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    We might want to try Dickerson at Center and give Womack a try at guard. Brown getting back would be a real plus but I do remember it was a 4 game suspension this year. So it will be a while. I expect some improvement over the next two games but they have a ways to go. Duke's not a bad defense though.
    I mean; they did hold us to 42

I do hope Kyle Flood is an upgrade over our last O line coach. I had heard mixed reviews about him when he was in NFL.

I want our O Line to be better.. hopefully they will gel soon, especially before Oct. 12 at Texas AM.

It seems Oklahoma's and UGA's O line played well for their first games. BAMA's o-line needs to protect Tua and get the run game going. We have to be balanced on offense and be able to run at will against teams like Texas AM, LSU, and Auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabama View Post
    A couple mor Dickersons in the middle would be a great start. He definitely plays with Ďtude.
    Tide Tude?

Roll Tide!