Question: What will fix our OL problems? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    FB|BB Moderator

Re: What will fix our OL problems?

There's a strong possibility that Saban thinks the trouble in the run game was as much the RBs as it was the OL.

Clearly, everybody thinks the OL can play better. But not many of us, including me, put much blame on the RBs. Looks like we may have been wrong in that assessment.

Articles by Hurt and Casagrande linked:

https://www.tidesports.com/cecil-hur...-running-game/

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...d-vs-duke.html

A lot of you have already read either or both of these. But the thing I took away was that Saban was using the media (again!) to deliver a message to his players. In this instance, the message in both articles was aimed at the RBs far more than it was the OL.

I doubt either article was the preferred breakfast reading for Najee Harris, Brian Robinson or Charles Huff (RB coach).

Doubt we'll learn much against NMSU, but USCe the next week will be interesting.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
    The most worrying thing to me was when I watched the OL near the goal line on run plays. We didn’t charge out. Instead, we stood nearly straight up and got pushed back. Hard to understand why this should be our strategy against a much smaller DL. Anyone else notice this? Surely they were not physically stronger than us. We they just getting under our pads? I worry that our OL may be too heavy and slow footed. I probably just don’t understand basic OL coaching techniques,
    Yes, I absolutely noticed it. I know Duke runs a lot of games on the DL, but inside the 1-yd line I wouldn't think we'd be too worried about that. Concerning observation for sure.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

BamaNation Third Team Charleston's Avatar

OL concerns certainly after game 1 for all the reasons previously expressed. This will work itself out after best 5 are identified. My concern is lack of explosiveness at RB. Great size, durability, straight line speed, experience, etc. but not dynamic. Ford showed a spark but our 1 & 2 are basically the same guy. Fastballs. Sanders was probably the guy that was the curve ball. Probably will get roasted for this but thatís how I see it.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
    OL concerns certainly after game 1 for all the reasons previously expressed. This will work itself out after best 5 are identified. My concern is lack of explosiveness at RB. Great size, durability, straight line speed, experience, etc. but not dynamic. Ford showed a spark but our 1 & 2 are basically the same guy. Fastballs. Sanders was probably the guy that was the curve ball. Probably will get roasted for this but that’s how I see it.
    I think Najee has been described as more of a glider/finesse runner as where Robinson seemed to look to hit the hole with more explosiveness. It seemed like both had success when they ended up hitting the holes hard and getting north/south quickly. But it still comes down to the OL getting up to the second level more consistently with their blocking. All of it works together.

I donít disagree but sometimes you need a little east or west to get north and south. With the Spread you are not going to see the under center I formation and commitment. UGA does it but it becomes less productive after defensive adjustments are made. Just wondering if the dominate running game that most of us wish for is a thing of the past.

Poor etiquette to post on post but remember USC student body left or right I formation sealing edge fullback pulling linemen and toss sweep. That would the compromise the previously stated east / west north / south conundrum. Would like to see our backs in that space.

BamaNation All-SEC

I agree wth what you're saying Charleston, I think the team has all of the components to have a successful running game. The O Line will get better in opening up holes for the north/south game and we already saw Najee be highlighted in the jet sweep so won't be surprised to see that a lot more in the running game as well. But I don't think we will understand to what extent of success we will have with the running game until we get to the South Carolina game ... or the TAMU game most definitely. Those will most likely be the first games where the run game will have to be a significant factor in moving the sticks successfully.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Saban said Hunter Brannon was out indefinitely with a "medical issue". I hate to lose another one. Between the normal attrition and the constant defection to the NFL 25 scholarships a year just can't keep up.
    BS 1989

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I posted this in other thread, but I"ll post here:
    https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...d-vs-duke.html

We will be okay. I know Everyone thinking Dickerson will move to CEnter and Brown will take over guard position when he get back, but i'm not sure if Brown will get his job back.

I gotcha, and he may not get his job back, but only as punishment or because of rust. At the end of 2018, he was the most dominant OLineman.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I gotcha, and he may not get his job back, but only as punishment or because of rust. At the end of 2018, he was the most dominant OLineman.
    For sure, we couldnít run the ball without him in the game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAVILLE View Post
    I think Najee has been described as more of a glider/finesse runner as where Robinson seemed to look to hit the hole with more explosiveness. It seemed like both had success when they ended up hitting the holes hard and getting north/south quickly. But it still comes down to the OL getting up to the second level more consistently with their blocking. All of it works together.
    Agreed but Najee runs with power also. Najee has to get up field more quickly. On 3 or 4 runs he tried to bounce it outside and did not and if he would have gotten up field he would have gained 4 or 5 more yards.

Probably already stated about the OL but I think when D. Brown comes off suspension he will move in at RG and Dickerson moves to center.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Agreed but Najee runs with power also. Najee has to get up field more quickly. On 3 or 4 runs he tried to bounce it outside and did not and if he would have gotten up field he would have gained 4 or 5 more yards.

Probably already stated about the OL but I think when D. Brown comes off suspension he will move in at RG and Dickerson moves to center.
    I am looking forward to Deonte Brown being a starter again. I assume he has been allowed to practice all this time and be in shape/ready? I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
    Poor etiquette to post on post but remember USC student body left or right I formation sealing edge fullback pulling linemen and toss sweep. That would the compromise the previously stated east / west north / south conundrum. Would like to see our backs in that space.
    I was talking to a coworker the other night, and we both missed the days of the toss sweep. Can't remember the last time I saw us run one.