Question: What will fix our OL problems? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Re: What will fix our OL problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Down4ttown View Post
    Dickerson was starting center due to Owens being held out for precautionary reasons.

Leatherwood LT, Ekiyor LG, Dickerson C, Womack RG, Wills RT

None of them really looked great. Leatherwood is maybe the most consistent.
    Agree. I am officially concerned about our OL. If we can’t get decent push against a team like New Mexico State we have problems. Our running backs don’t inspire me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

Dickerson was starting center due to Owens being held out for precautionary reasons.

Even Wills, one of our more experienced guys,“whiffed” a few times out there today.

I expected more improvement from the first game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!

Ekiyor did not play today. I know the bonehead announcers said he did, but #55 was never on the field.

The lineup was Leatherwood, Neal, Dickerson, Womack, Wills

BamaNation All-American

To me, we just don’t appear “settled “ on the O line. We may not be until Brown is back, assuming he’s slotted to start. Has he been working with what would be the 1s in practice? Sure hope so.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Obviously the OL was less than stellar...still in development. However, it is puzzling to me that our "superior athletes" cannot consistently block "inferior" ones. I do realize that the RB's hit the wrong hole sometimes -- especially Harris. (Early on if he had cut left instead of diving headlong into the pile he would have run all the way to Mississippi.) That being said, we were playing with out 3rd string center and at least our 2nd team RG. With DBrown out the dominoes start to fall...and in missing 2 more Saturday they fell even more.

If you take away KRob's run and HRugg's run/catch...we would have less than 150 yards against a very inferior line -- at least on paper.

Still puzzling...and with the SEC coming up no more easy DL's...I'm no Eyeor...but as Jess said we will live and die with our passing game.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    Agree. I am officially concerned about our OL. If we can’t get decent push against a team like New Mexico State we have problems. Our running backs don’t inspire me either.

I am sure this won't be a popular response but, IMO, this goes back to relying on Tua to be the offense which has relegated the running game to simply a diversionary tactic. This is why I have been a vocal critic about the running game and OL play when we face LSU, Auburn and UGA if we make it to Atlanta.

For those old enough to remember the Wishbone era, this is eerily similar. In those days we had 5 QBs, 12 RBs and an absolute road grader OL. We overpowered everyone and only threw the ball when we wanted some diversion. Occasionally though we faced a team, Nebraska, ND, and Southern Cal that had equal talent and we could not just run over and around them. We had to pass the ball to get 8-9 out of the box. Against those teams we could not do that and lost several times. This is beginning to look like the same situation.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am sure this won't be a popular response but, IMO, this goes back to relying on Tua to be the offense which has relegated the running game to simply a diversionary tactic. This is why I have been a vocal critic about the running game and OL play when we face LSU, Auburn and UGA if we make it to Atlanta.

For those old enough to remember the Wishbone era, this is eerily similar. In those days we had 5 QBs, 12 RBs and an absolute road grader OL. We overpowered everyone and only threw the ball when we wanted some diversion. Occasionally though we faced a team, Nebraska, ND, and Southern Cal that had equal talent and we could not just run over and around them. We had to pass the ball to get 8-9 out of the box. Against those teams we could not do that and lost several times. This is beginning to look like the same situation.
    Well, I'm not buying that because the OL can't pass block very well right now either. If not for Tua's superior footwork, vision and quick release we wouldn't be completing many passes right now.

OL is just weak all the way around right now.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Well, I'm not buying that because the OL can't pass block very well right now either. If not for Tua's superior footwork, vision and quick release we wouldn't be completing many passes right now.

OL is just weak all the way around right now.
    Just be glad our schedule is such that it really won't matter until November. If it can't get fixed by then I would say it's time to start worrying. But until then, we should be able to work on it and still comfortably win all games between now and November.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Not to pile on but I see teams with way less talent that work together and get the maximum out of their ability.

"They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Just be glad our schedule is such that it really won't matter until November. If it can't get fixed by then I would say it's time to start worrying. But until then, we should be able to work on it and still comfortably win all games between now and November.
    I agree, except for Oct 12 at Texas AM. They did not look good vs Clemson but they have time improve just like we do. Mond is unpredictable with his play, so who knows what kind of game he will have.

Main thing is to protect Tua while our O line is still a "work in progress". I just don't think Mac Jones is the answer to beat Texas AM, LSU, or Auburn if Tua is hurt. I would say we could rely on the run game for those games but I don't feel confident with that either yet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    You are probably right...but we'll find out next week I guess against some medium level SEC talent if we are starting to improve.

The most disturbing thing though is all the talk about returning to the Bama standard, which most of us interpreted as a return to controlling the LOS. We thought that would mean an aggressive running game that would give balance to our incredible passing game. So far...not happening.

I know we'll win 11 or 12 games because of Tua's arm and our receivers talent, but that's not the goal.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    You are probably right...but we'll find out next week I guess against some medium level SEC talent if we are starting to improve.

The most disturbing thing though is all the talk about returning to the Bama standard, which most of us interpreted as a return to controlling the LOS. We thought that would mean an aggressive running game that would give balance to our incredible passing game. So far...not happening.

I know we'll win 11 or 12 games because of Tua's arm and our receivers talent, but that's not the goal.
    Agreed. We're not winning an SEC championship (much less a national title) with the current Oline performances. Just not going to happen. A lot of kinks to workout to do that.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

We're legit threatening to be a 9-3 team with the OL performance right now. It ought to improve but it ain't there yet.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!