Question: What will fix our OL problems?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
They looked pretty quick to me, not physically overpowering.
Both Saban and Cutcliffe said that their front seven was very good -- not overpowering, but quick and knew how to play defense. I'll take their assessment. I reviewed the game again watching the OL -- not as bad as I thought. Yes, some breakdowns, but nothing that experience will not fix. Also, our pass blocking was, for the most part, very good as the game went on. We started picking up their blitzes earlier and easier.

Relax, people...this is going to be a dominant team.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
As others have said, time playing together and gelling will fix a lot of what we saw. But, Duke had some (relatively) small guys that our OL was asked to block a few times, and the small guys out-quicked our big lineman. I saw Wills whiff on such a matchup at least 3 times in the game, so I’m thinking Duke just had a few unfavorable matchups for us that contributed to some of what we saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
LOL

And I got warning talking about OL in game thread

GOAT will get it fixed .. lot of times I have questioned his use of players only to realize months later that it was the correct decision.
It ain't always what you say but how and where and when you say it.

For instance, this is not the place to discuss any disagreement with mods or admins. That should take place in a private message.

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
I haven't read the entire thread, but I think it was a few factors. Mainly youth. The talent is there. And Duke was doing a lot of stunting and slanting that gave them trouble. These issues will probably sort themselves out by this week and the next. I don't see a need to be concerned..... yet....

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Joe Pendry coaching the OL and Burton Burns coaching the RBs.

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
The most worrying thing to me was when I watched the OL near the goal line on run plays. We didn’t charge out. Instead, we stood nearly straight up and got pushed back. Hard to understand why this should be our strategy against a much smaller DL. Anyone else notice this? Surely they were not physically stronger than us. We they just getting under our pads? I worry that our OL may be too heavy and slow footed. I probably just don’t understand basic OL coaching techniques,

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'm hoping that more game reps together will solve it. We are certainly still experimenting with the lineup and you have Brown waiting to comeback from suspension. I can't believe that Saban would have made the comments he did about us being fine on the OL if he was actually worried about that group. It seems we have plenty of talent there and just need some time to decide on who is starting and then let them gel.

I think many people forget that the 2012 OL was not good at the beginning of the season compared to how it ended. I seem to remember us struggling mightily against Western Kentucky in the second or third game of the year.

Brown was really playing well last year when we lost him. It seemed we never replaced that push that he was able to get. Obviously someone can steal his job while he is suspended but through this first game there's no evidence that he won't reclaim his spot. He really moves people. One of the key factors in our loss to Clemson was the inability to get those tough short yardage conversions against a very talented DL. He would have helped us no doubt.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
We might want to try Dickerson at Center and give Womack a try at guard. Brown getting back would be a real plus but I do remember it was a 4 game suspension this year. So it will be a while. I expect some improvement over the next two games but they have a ways to go. Duke's not a bad defense though.
I mean; they did hold us to 42

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I do hope Kyle Flood is an upgrade over our last O line coach. I had heard mixed reviews about him when he was in NFL.

I want our O Line to be better.. hopefully they will gel soon, especially before Oct. 12 at Texas AM.

It seems Oklahoma's and UGA's O line played well for their first games. BAMA's o-line needs to protect Tua and get the run game going. We have to be balanced on offense and be able to run at will against teams like Texas AM, LSU, and Auburn.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There's a strong possibility that Saban thinks the trouble in the run game was as much the RBs as it was the OL.

Clearly, everybody thinks the OL can play better. But not many of us, including me, put much blame on the RBs. Looks like we may have been wrong in that assessment.

Articles by Hurt and Casagrande linked:

https://www.tidesports.com/cecil-hurt-saban-looks-to-improve-the-running-game/

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...y-alabama-running-game-struggled-vs-duke.html

A lot of you have already read either or both of these. But the thing I took away was that Saban was using the media (again!) to deliver a message to his players. In this instance, the message in both articles was aimed at the RBs far more than it was the OL.

I doubt either article was the preferred breakfast reading for Najee Harris, Brian Robinson or Charles Huff (RB coach).

Doubt we'll learn much against NMSU, but USCe the next week will be interesting.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The most worrying thing to me was when I watched the OL near the goal line on run plays. We didn’t charge out. Instead, we stood nearly straight up and got pushed back. Hard to understand why this should be our strategy against a much smaller DL. Anyone else notice this? Surely they were not physically stronger than us. We they just getting under our pads? I worry that our OL may be too heavy and slow footed. I probably just don’t understand basic OL coaching techniques,
Yes, I absolutely noticed it. I know Duke runs a lot of games on the DL, but inside the 1-yd line I wouldn't think we'd be too worried about that. Concerning observation for sure.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
OL concerns certainly after game 1 for all the reasons previously expressed. This will work itself out after best 5 are identified. My concern is lack of explosiveness at RB. Great size, durability, straight line speed, experience, etc. but not dynamic. Ford showed a spark but our 1 & 2 are basically the same guy. Fastballs. Sanders was probably the guy that was the curve ball. Probably will get roasted for this but that’s how I see it.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
OL concerns certainly after game 1 for all the reasons previously expressed. This will work itself out after best 5 are identified. My concern is lack of explosiveness at RB. Great size, durability, straight line speed, experience, etc. but not dynamic. Ford showed a spark but our 1 & 2 are basically the same guy. Fastballs. Sanders was probably the guy that was the curve ball. Probably will get roasted for this but that’s how I see it.
I think Najee has been described as more of a glider/finesse runner as where Robinson seemed to look to hit the hole with more explosiveness. It seemed like both had success when they ended up hitting the holes hard and getting north/south quickly. But it still comes down to the OL getting up to the second level more consistently with their blocking. All of it works together.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
I don’t disagree but sometimes you need a little east or west to get north and south. With the Spread you are not going to see the under center I formation and commitment. UGA does it but it becomes less productive after defensive adjustments are made. Just wondering if the dominate running game that most of us wish for is a thing of the past.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
Poor etiquette to post on post but remember USC student body left or right I formation sealing edge fullback pulling linemen and toss sweep. That would the compromise the previously stated east / west north / south conundrum. Would like to see our backs in that space.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I agree wth what you're saying Charleston, I think the team has all of the components to have a successful running game. The O Line will get better in opening up holes for the north/south game and we already saw Najee be highlighted in the jet sweep so won't be surprised to see that a lot more in the running game as well. But I don't think we will understand to what extent of success we will have with the running game until we get to the South Carolina game ... or the TAMU game most definitely. Those will most likely be the first games where the run game will have to be a significant factor in moving the sticks successfully.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.