Question: What will fix our OL problems?

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Just to much penetration by the Duke defense. I realize this is the first game so not going to panic. Are we missing assignments? Some of the running backs were side stepping the hole because it was closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I was wondering if Duke followed the blueprint that others followed last year and committed to stopping one part of our game (the run) in hopes our passing would be off.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I admit I was hoping to see a bit more from the OL, after all the talking heads had it pumped up during camp. For sure, there are enough stars and tonnage there for it to be good in theory.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Duke was stacking the LOS, especially early. Still, given the difference between our OL talent level vs. Duke’s DL talent level, we should have done better.

Not time to panic, but to have a chance to achieve our goals, we have to get better. I think we will, and it needs to start today.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Just to much penetration by the Duke defense. I realize this is the first game so not going to panic. Are we missing assignments? Some of the running backs were side stepping the hole because it was closed.

You got to give them time to gel.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
OL just needs more reps (games) in order to mature and develop consistency. I feel the coaches have plenty of "teachable moments" from the schemes Duke presented. IMO, this was a great first game kinda test for a inexperienced OL. RTR

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
What can Brown do for you? Well , starting with game 5, be dominant at LG. That’s when our line should gel for the stretch run. Until then, I think Evan Neal could be the main cog at that spot. Just for his mammoth size, his technique will get better with experience. Until then, I can see us running right for awhile. It’s not just the line, the backs and tight ends need better technique with chip blocking help! I saw a few whiffs.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I was wondering if Duke followed the blueprint that others followed last year and committed to stopping one part of our game (the run) in hopes our passing would be off.

They also covered the deep pass pretty good. They gave us the short and intermediate passes, and we took advantage of it big time.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
OL is really one position not five individuals. In order for it to work well, it takes to work together. 4 guys can do their jobs perfectly while one guy whiffs and it looks awful. Once they settle in and become one unit, I think we will see better OL play.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What can Brown do for you? Well , starting with game 5, be dominant at LG. That’s when our line should gel for the stretch run. Until then, I think Evan Neal could be the main cog at that spot. Just for his mammoth size, his technique will get better with experience. Until then, I can see us running right for awhile. It’s not just the line, the backs and tight ends need better technique with chip blocking help! I saw a few whiffs.
Brown will actually be back game three versus USCe (four game suspension- Oklahoma, Clemson, Duke, and NM State).

Having him back should help considerably with Wills really being the only guy out there yesterday with significant game reps.

Major thing I want to see is this line “getting off” in the run game and re-establishing the LOS then getting to the second level. The only way you get there is by working together as a unit.

The adage is “the greatest improvement as a team happens between game one and game two. It will be interesting to see how they look next week.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
OL is really one position not five individuals. In order for it to work well, it takes to work together. 4 guys can do their jobs perfectly while one guy whiffs and it looks awful. Once they settle in and become one unit, I think we will see better OL play.

This in my opinion. Communication will no doubt improve. D. Brown is a proven commodity. There`s plenty of raw talent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Duke didn't really bring too many to block. They were basically doing a 3-3 zone blitz most passing downs. Sometimes they'd bring a 6th guy but it was mostly just 5 man rushes from what I recollect. The problems were identifying the pressures and responding to any line games at the snap. Guards looked the worse but may've been put in a bad position due to the line calls by the center or quarterback. The fixes are simple to type but likely harder to achieve on the field: more practice and better technique. Furthermore, we rotated a lot of linemen even in the first half so it is safe to say the staff treated this like a preseason game on the OL. Once they settle into a starting group I imagine the performance will improve.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Brown will actually be back game three versus USCe (four game suspension- Oklahoma, Clemson, Duke, and NM State).

Having him back should help considerably with Wills really being the only guy out there yesterday with significant game reps.

Major thing I want to see is this line “getting off” in the run game and re-establishing the LOS then getting to the second level. The only way you get there is by working together as a unit.

The adage is “the greatest improvement as a team happens between game one and game two. It will be interesting to see how they look next week.
I hope you’re right, but everything I’ve read says he’s suspended for the first 4 games of this season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.