Question: What will fix our OL problems?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Brown will actually be back game three versus USCe (four game suspension- Oklahoma, Clemson, Duke, and NM State).

Having him back should help considerably with Wills really being the only guy out there yesterday with significant game reps.

Major thing I want to see is this line “getting off” in the run game and re-establishing the LOS then getting to the second level. The only way you get there is by working together as a unit.

The adage is “the greatest improvement as a team happens between game one and game two. It will be interesting to see how they look next week.
Good to know about Brown getting back.

If we are having this conversation next week after game 2, I'll be much more concerned.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Well, the coaching staff now has game film to id the things that need the most work. The line has had a game to take the first steps to get communication and gelling started. It's going to take a couple of games to be sure but the line will be ok. Plus, Duke actually had a pretty solid Dline. They played well and well disciplined. They were also really quick.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Just to much penetration by the Duke defense. I realize this is the first game so not going to panic. Are we missing assignments? Some of the running backs were side stepping the hole because it was closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After giving it some thought...
Our OL didn't get the job done.
If Duke could get to our QB, and contain our RBs...
We got a problem.
We won pretty impressively, I put that on Tua, and on schemes Duke wasn't prepared for.
Tua and our receivers were impressive.
Sark called a very good game in the 2nd half.
AND... Our overall team speed was impressive.
We had the better athletes.
We will need a much better performance by the time
we play TAMU.
We need a better performance from our RBs,
our Offensive Line, and we better be able to
make some Field Goals.

I was pretty impressed by the overall play of our Defense.

COACH SABAN IS ALREADY IN MID SEASON FORM.
(Thank Goodness)

Last edited:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
If that's true, then that would be 6 games of suspension. Hopefully, it's 4 games, including the 2 playoff games.
Hate to tell y’all this, but from what I remember, it is a 6 game suspension. 2 games from last year and the first 4 for this year.

Now, all that being said, I wouldn’t be mad if he came back after NMSU. Would love to be proven wrong.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I hope you’re right, but everything I’ve read says he’s suspended for the first 4 games of this season.
I stand corrected. One of the guys on local talk radio was saying it was four games total including the playoff games.

I just read where it is the first four games of the 2019 season.

Now that sucks.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I admit I was hoping to see a bit more from the OL, after all the talking heads had it pumped up during camp. For sure, there are enough stars and tonnage there for it to be good in theory.
Agreed! If we can't move Duke's players, we will really struggle later. The OL was the primary concern for me after watching this game.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I thought I heard the talking heads say that Duke D-line was a veteran line and done pretty good last year. The end of the first half with Clemson it was 7 to 6. Clemson won running away in the second half but also after Duke was just give out. I would give our O-line a break for the first game because it wasn't a low end team we beat. To be honest I was happy mostly with what I saw.:)

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Just to much penetration by the Duke defense. I realize this is the first game so not going to panic. Are we missing assignments? Some of the running backs were side stepping the hole because it was closed.

Time and playing experience. Communication breakdowns caused most of it. Those things will be fixed.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
LOL

And I got warning talking about OL in game thread

GOAT will get it fixed .. lot of times I have questioned his use of players only to realize months later that it was the correct decision.

Last edited:

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Seemed to me that we were missing reads at the line in the beginning of the game. In the first few drives, it appeared that our line was not reading teh DL stunts, and consequently was not making the proper reads and two Duke players would make it through the line to the RB or to pressure the QB, and the RB could only pick up one. The OL improved as the game wore on, although whether that was due to improved reads as they were lining up or just taking advantage of physical superiority or Duke fatigue hard to day. that said, there was enough there that needed improvement before we take on a top not team. Fortunately, we have a few weeks before that happens.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
We might want to try Dickerson at Center and give Womack a try at guard. Brown getting back would be a real plus but I do remember it was a 4 game suspension this year. So it will be a while. I expect some improvement over the next two games but they have a ways to go. Duke's not a bad defense though.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We might want to try Dickerson at Center and give Womack a try at guard. Brown getting back would be a real plus but I do remember it was a 4 game suspension this year. So it will be a while. I expect some improvement over the next two games but they have a ways to go. Duke's not a bad defense though.
They looked pretty quick to me, not physically overpowering.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.