What's the Plan for Taulia this year? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 93
  1. #40
    BamaNation All-American mlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    I think the plan is to bring Lia along with the hopes he can be the starter next year after Tua leaves for the NFL. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. If Lia burns his redshirt and Tyson keeps his, then I think Tyson sticks around to be the backup to Lia, then the starter for 1-2 years. Of course, that changes if we get a great QB recruit who can come in and compete for the starting job as a true freshman.

  2. #41
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I think the plan is to bring Lia along with the hopes he can be the starter next year after Tua leaves for the NFL. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. If Lia burns his redshirt and Tyson keeps his, then I think Tyson sticks around to be the backup to Lia, then the starter for 1-2 years. Of course, that changes if we get a great QB recruit who can come in and compete for the starting job as a true freshman.
    That's always going to be the rub for QBs. You could be a real good qb and a generational player comes along and he forces you to the bench and eventually into the transfer portal.

    That's exactly what happened to Jalen, as we all know.

    I guess the upside for a program like ours is after Jalen and Tua we will probably always attract some top tier candidates and if one comes along next year or the year after that is a "day one starter" the other guys will have a decision to make.

    It's the new world we live in with QBs.

  3. #42
    BamaNation All-SEC Ledsteplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I think the plan is to bring Lia along with the hopes he can be the starter next year after Tua leaves for the NFL. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. If Lia burns his redshirt and Tyson keeps his, then I think Tyson sticks around to be the backup to Lia, then the starter for 1-2 years. Of course, that changes if we get a great QB recruit who can come in and compete for the starting job as a true freshman.
    I don't believe there is such a plan. Mac is № 2 for a reason. He's a very capable QB. His 95 yard TD pass to Waddle was short, but it was quick and on the money. We really haven't seen him play that much, except in 4th quarter mop up. We know Lia can throw, but haven't seen him do so in a game yet. He may surpass Mac at some point, but Saban will play who he thinks has the best chance of winning games. Mac, Lia, and Tyson will battle it out in practice and on the field. That's the plan. The winner will be 2nd behind Tua, and possibly our starter next year. We need to see more of both Mac and Lia on the field, and so does Saban.

  4. #43
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    39,321

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I don't believe there is such a plan. Mac is № 2 for a reason. He's a very capable QB. His 95 yard TD pass to Waddle was short, but it was quick and on the money. We really haven't seen him play that much, except in 4th quarter mop up. We know Lia can throw, but haven't seen him do so in a game yet. He may surpass Mac at some point, but Saban will play who he thinks has the best chance of winning games. Mac, Lia, and Tyson will battle it out in practice and on the field. That's the plan. The winner will be 2nd behind Tua, and possibly our starter next year. We need to see more of both Mac and Lia on the field, and so does Saban.
    Mac is #2 because he’s in year three while the others have only been on campus 8 months. If he wasn’t #2, that would be a big problem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  5. #44
    BamaNation All-American mlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I don't believe there is such a plan. Mac is № 2 for a reason. He's a very capable QB. His 95 yard TD pass to Waddle was short, but it was quick and on the money. We really haven't seen him play that much, except in 4th quarter mop up. We know Lia can throw, but haven't seen him do so in a game yet. He may surpass Mac at some point, but Saban will play who he thinks has the best chance of winning games. Mac, Lia, and Tyson will battle it out in practice and on the field. That's the plan. The winner will be 2nd behind Tua, and possibly our starter next year. We need to see more of both Mac and Lia on the field, and so does Saban.
    I think you're right. And I expect Lia to move ahead of Mac into the #2 spot by the end of the year.

  6. #45
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,647

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    If Tua went down mid game I think Mac would come in and run the offense. If Tua was out for an extended period of time I think Taulia would take over as the starting QB. Similar to the Star Jackson / AJ McCarron situation years ago. AJ was the 3rd string QB but would have been the one playing if the starter went down with a significant injury..

  7. #46
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I think you're right. And I expect Lia to move ahead of Mac into the #2 spot by the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    If Tua went down mid game I think Mac would come in and run the offense. If Tua was out for an extended period of time I think Taulia would take over as the starting QB. Similar to the Star Jackson / AJ McCarron situation years ago. AJ was the 3rd string QB but would have been the one playing if the starter went down with a significant injury..
    I don't necessarily disagree with y'all, but is this based on a "gut feeling" (which is why I agree) or is it based on some evidence that Lia is already showing more capability and that MJ's #2 position on the DC is more about seniority than skill?

  8. #47
    BamaNation All-American mlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with y'all, but is this based on a "gut feeling" (which is why I agree) or is it based on some evidence that Lia is already showing more capability and that MJ's #2 position on the DC is more about seniority than skill?
    Purely a gut feeling on my part.

  9. #48
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    I'm not sure game #2 brought any clarity here. Even though game #2 would have been a slightly better environment to see Lia or Tysen we only saw MJ. I thought Lia might get at least a couple of series.

    If there is a plan to redshirt Lia, I think it's kinda a shame he burned one of his 4 games with 2 plays against Duke.

  10. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I'm not sure game #2 brought any clarity here. Even though game #2 would have been a slightly better environment to see Lia or Tysen we only saw MJ. I thought Lia might get at least a couple of series.

    If there is a plan to redshirt Lia, I think it's kinda a shame he burned one of his 4 games with 2 plays against Duke.
    Why? He has 3 games left to play before he could redshirt. First game was perfect for the coaches to assess the players and decide how to use them. I don't think we will really know how Coaches will use Tauila/Tyson. They may wanted to see how Mac does. I think we will see Tauila sight at some point this season.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  11. #50
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Why? He has 3 games left to play before he could redshirt. First game was perfect for the coaches to assess the players and decide how to use them. I don't think we will really know how Coaches will use Tauila/Tyson. They may wanted to see how Mac does. I think we will see Tauila sight at some point this season.
    Why? Because can you really evaluate a player on 2 plays when one of them is a called handoff and the other is a victory formation snap. I could have played both of those snaps and done exactly what Lia did in game 1. That's why it seems a waste to me.

  12. #51
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    39,321

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Why? Because can you really evaluate a player on 2 plays when one of them is a called handoff and the other is a victory formation snap. I could have played both of those snaps and done exactly what Lia did in game 1. That's why it seems a waste to me.
    I get your point, but it's not like the staff knew Ford was going to score on that play when they put Lia out there.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  13. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I get your point, but it's not like the staff knew Ford was going to score on that play when they put Lia out there.
    Fair point...but I'm operating under the assumption that we want to give him some real game reps so I was fairly surprised he didn't get some more in game #2.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear