What's the Plan for Taulia this year? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    FB|BB Moderator

Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

I can't tell you how I know, but I know.....at the end of fall camp, the gulf between Mac Jones and Lia / Tyson was greater than the gap between Tua and Mac Jones. If either of the freshmen are playing in a game that matters before it's salted away, we have a significant problem, likely an insurmountable one.

They simply weren't ready. And given the fact that Mac is likely getting 80%+ of the QB coaching that doesn't go to Tua, I don't see the freshmen closing that gap during the season unless something happens to either Tua or Mac.

I know many might say that Tua did it in 2017. There's a major difference between now and 2017. That year, Tua was Jalen's backup, and got enough coaching to develop significantly during the season. This year, we have a capable backup who has 3 years in the system. No, he's not Tua (not many are), and he might or might not have the ceiling that one or both of the freshmen do. But we can win with him today. I have no doubt whatsoever....we want the freshmen to redshirt and battle with Mac for the 2020 job.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; September 9th, 2019 at 05:55 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I can't tell you how I know, but I know.....at the end of fall camp, the gulf between Mac Jones and Lia / Tyson was greater than the gap between Tua and Mac Jones.
    Coach Saban basically said this prior to the season starting. Something to the effect that there was a significant separation between Mac and the freshmen. We just don't know how much either has progressed with more practice. If that's the case, then Lia and Tyson need to redshirt and Mac needs the work in order to be ready to step in should Tua get injured.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Fair point...but I'm operating under the assumption that we want to give him some real game reps so I was fairly surprised he didn't get some more in game #2.
    Saban did alluded that Mac was way ahead of those two QBs... I still think Tua will get 3 games experience throughout the year.. it is possible that he may play toward end of the year when he is developed more.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

I also remember Coach alluding to the maturity of the freshmen. I took that to mean learning how to protect the ball and playing within the system. They can't be as reckless with the ball as they were in HS.

It will be interesting to see how things develop as the season progresses. I'm just praying Tua stays healthy.
    Last edited by mlh; September 10th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Interesting that Lia nor Tyson got on the field last week. Partly I think this was due to the Mac Jones led offense not really clicking and the 2nd/3rd team defense inability to get NMST off the field in the 4th quarter. Still, if the freshmen don't see action in games like this then I think it is likely we're going to see them play 2-4 games in the regular season barring injury.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't necessarily disagree with y'all, but is this based on a "gut feeling" (which is why I agree) or is it based on some evidence that Lia is already showing more capability and that MJ's #2 position on the DC is more about seniority than skill?
    IMO: Mack is a very capable #2, until the pressure is on then he hasn't moved the chains.
    That is why I think Lia will move ahead of Mack.
    Mack has maxed out on his capabilities, Lia has a much larger upside and room to grow.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    IMO: Mack is a very capable #2, until the pressure is on then he hasn't moved the chains.
    That is why I think Lia will move ahead of Mack.
    Mack has maxed out on his capabilities, Lia has a much larger upside and room to grow.
    Mack plays for Browns in NFL.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Agreed that both Taulia and Paul will both red-shirt and compete in 2020 with Mac for the starting job.

Taulia and Paul need to develop quickly since the kid we have a commitment from in the 2021 class is going to come in ready to compete.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Agreed that both Taulia and Paul will both red-shirt and compete in 2020 with Mac for the starting job.

Taulia and Paul need to develop quickly since the kid we have a commitment from in the 2021 class is going to come in ready to compete.
    Upstream there was a comment or two about a possible recruit who might come next year who would be a "day one" type starter. Is this a "flip" some are predicting?

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Upstream there was a comment or two about a possible recruit who might come next year who would be a "day one" type starter. Is this a "flip" some are predicting?
    The kid I am talking about is Drake Maye and he won't be on campus until 2021. Brother of the Maye kid that just graduated from UNC who played basketball. Prototype size and arm strength.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...loodlines.html

BamaNation All-American

Pretty sure they're talking about USC commit Bryce Young. Hence the capitalized "Young" that one of them used IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Pretty sure they're talking about USC commit Bryce Young. Hence the capitalized "Young" that one of them used IIRC
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    He'd be in the 2020 class and play next fall, potentially?