What's the Plan for Taulia this year? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 93
  1. #66
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    39,407

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    He'd be in the 2020 class and play next fall, potentially?
    That's the word.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  2. #67
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,502

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    That's the word.
    Well, come on down

  3. #68
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Al.
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Has anyone bothered to ask Lia what his football plans are?
    How long does he see himself staying at Alabama?
    At some point that could be a consideration.
    I realize plans are contingent on him being #2 then later being #1.
    If Lia doesn't beat out Mack... What then?

  4. #69
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    23,175

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Has anyone bothered to ask Lia what his football plans are?
    How long does he see himself staying at Alabama?
    At some point that could be a consideration.
    I realize plans are contingent on him being #2 then later being #1.
    If Lia doesn't beat out Mack... What then?
    I believe that his father will make that choice for him. Frankly, that is a good thing as he is very young and young men need guidance.

    I suspect that he will wait out this year as a red shirt and next year if he is solidly the #2. But if he is passed up by others - all bets are off.

  5. #70
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,309
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I believe that his father will make that choice for him. Frankly, that is a good thing as he is very young and young men need guidance.

    I suspect that he will wait out this year as a red shirt and next year if he is solidly the #2. But if he is passed up by others - all bets are off.
    Well, this much we know for sure...assuming his brother's health is good, Lia didn't expect to play this year except in some type of backup role and I imagine he'd be OK with limited play to preserve his redshirt.

    As someone said earlier, MJ, by virtue of this being his 3rd year in the program, ought to have been the logical #2 for Tua...at least early on. Also, the reports about the gap between MJ and Lia and Tysen seem "normal" to me in this regard.

    The problem is we just don't know how good Lia is at this point. I know those who have seen him in HS rave about his potential/ceiling. But how does that compare to Tua? I haven't heard anybody say they think his ceiling is higher.

    Without a "day one starter" in this recruiting class, I'd say Lia probably has the confidence to think by next year he could beat out MJ, if he stays for his final year.

    But what if a new, hotshot recruit shows up and now he's the new hot guy that seems to have an angle on starting day one?

    I don't know how the coaches will manage this situation with the new transfer portal potential.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; September 11th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.

  6. #71
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    12,334

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    I know many REC members who went to the spring and fall scrimmages who said MJ was far far better than Lia and PT at this point.

    Personally after watching many Lia games, I think Lia is far more of a work in progress than Tua or Jalen ever was. He will be good but itís going to take time. So I wouldnít be surprised if MJ hangs around next year to seriously compete for the job.

  7. #72
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    12,334

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Well, this much we know for sure...assuming his brother's health is good, Lia didn't expect to play this year except in some type of backup role and I imagine he'd be OK with limited play to preserve his redshirt.

    As someone said earlier, MJ, by virtue of this being his 3rd year in the program, ought to have been the logical #2 for Tua...at least early on. Also, the reports about the gap between MJ and Lia and Tysen seem "normal" to me in this regard.

    The problem is we just don't know how good Lia is at this point. I know those who have seen him in HS rave about his potential/ceiling. But how does that compare to Tua? I haven't heard anybody say they think his ceiling is higher.

    Without a "day one starter" in this recruiting class, I'd say Lia probably has the confidence to think by next year he could beat out MJ, if he stays for his final year.

    But what if a new, hotshot recruit shows up and now he's the new hot guy that seems to have an angle on starting day one?

    I don't know how the coaches will manage this situation with the new transfer portal potential.
    Lia isnít even close to being as good as Tua. Sure he does somethings better than Tua, but as a whole he isnít. Itís like comparing Peyton and Eli. Both are good but there is wide gap in how good they are.


    For those expecting or saying Lia is better than or equal to Tua are probably going to be disappointed. Tua is a generational qb, Lia isnít.

    That is not to say Lia wonít be a great starter. It is more to pump the brakes on this non stop comparison that has been going on for 3 years now. I personally think when Lia gets use to the college game then he will be good, but not Tua good.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; September 11th, 2019 at 11:07 AM.

  8. #73
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,309
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Lia isn’t even close to being as good as Tua. Sure he does somethings better than Tua, but as a whole he isn’t. It’s like comparing Peyton and Eli. Both are good but there is wide gap in how good they are.


    For those expecting or saying Lia is better than or equal to Tua are probably going to be disappointed. Tua is a generational qb, Lia isn’t.
    FWIW, I don't think I've heard anyone claim they think Lia is equal or better.

    I do think there's probably a lot of "hope" regarding Lia that maybe he's a late bloomer and the football genetics of Tua will show more and more especially after a year or so of college coaching.

    Probably a good comparison to the Mannings, at least until we see Lia's development in college.

  9. #74
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    12,334

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    FWIW, I don't think I've heard anyone claim they think Lia is equal or better.

    I do think there's probably a lot of "hope" regarding Lia that maybe he's a late bloomer and the football genetics of Tua will show more and more especially after a year or so of college coaching.

    Probably a good comparison to the Mannings, at least until we see Lia's development in college.
    There have been plenty of folks in the State of Alabama try to say Lia is on par with Tua, but they went quite after Central phoenix destroyed him.

  10. #75
    BamaNation First Team DogPatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    398

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    There have been plenty of folks in the State of Alabama try to say Lia is on par with Tua, but they went quite after Central phoenix destroyed him.
    Yep. I remember hearing and reading the hype that Lia would be better than Tua.

  11. #76
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,406

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    IIRC didn't Lia start playing QB a little bit later in his life? Didn't his dad play him at OL or something at first?

    Regardless, anyone expecting us to replace Tua with someone on par or better is probably going to be disappointed no matter who starts next year. Even if it is a true freshman who wins the job right away.

  12. #77
    BamaNation All-SEC Saban4Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Cobb County GA
    Posts
    1,594

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    I would love to see Taulia and Paul play their 4 games but redshirt. Hopefully Tua and Mac stay healthy.

    What if BAMA gets Bryce Young for next year and he wins the job over Mac? That will be interesting to see if everyone stays or if someone transfers.

    Or, if for some reason, Tua does stay ( I think he leaves) ... that probably means Bryce Young will stay committed to USC and Mac would stay at Bama as a backup again.

  13. #78
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,309
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saban4Ever View Post
    I would love to see Taulia and Paul play their 4 games but redshirt. Hopefully Tua and Mac stay healthy.

    What if BAMA gets Bryce Young for next year and he wins the job over Mac? That will be interesting to see if everyone stays or if someone transfers.

    Or, if for some reason, Tua does stay ( I think he leaves) ... that probably means Bryce Young will stay committed to USC and Mac would stay at Bama as a backup again.
    I don't see a scenario where Tua stays. Even if he got hurt sometimes this year and couldn't finish the season I think he'd still get drafted...just not as high.

    I just don't know how another year at Bama would improve his draft status.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear