What's the Plan for Taulia this year? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 79 to 91 of 93
  1. #79
    BamaNation First Team JamieSPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maylene, AL
    Posts
    703

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    There have been plenty of folks in the State of Alabama try to say Lia is on par with Tua, but they went quite after Central phoenix destroyed him.
    I've been reluctant to respond in this thread as a Thompson fan, but I'd like to respectfully "pump the brakes" on the statement above.

    The state championship game with Central-Phenix City was on the heels of a wet, wild, rainy battle with Hoover, in which Lia was injured. Frankly, the whole team got beat up in that game, essentially a de facto state championship; there is a cost in beating a team like Hoover. It's a lot like what happens to teams after they play Bama.

    Say what you will about whether he is/will be a generational QB for Bama, but he was for THS, and he had to have a go in the championship game, even with an injury. He was unable to finish the game. C-PC didn't "destroy" him. THS couldn't score, got behind, and had to eventually go with backup QB Sawyer Pate.

    FYI, the Pate-led THS Warriors are now the #1 team in the state in 7A, after a game last week that saw Hoover's QB Robby Ashford, an Ole Miss commit, go down with injury in the 4th qtr of a tight game. We didn't "destroy" Hoover either. Losing an elite starting QB, even for the best HS teams like Thompson and Hoover, is too much to overcome.

    Lia will be great at Bama, or wherever he plays (but like many, I believe for many reasons including family that he will stay here). Anyone using the state championship game last year as a reason to "go quiet" on his upside, or as a barometer of his ability, without accounting for what he did throughout his historic career at Thompson, is missing some data.
    "So, if you wanna drink the Kool-Aid..." ó Nick Saban, September 27, 2008

    JamieSPCó drunk on Kool-Aid, 2008-2018

  2. #80
    BamaNation All-American Con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    3,640

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    There have been plenty of folks in the State of Alabama try to say Lia is on par with Tua, but they went quite after Central phoenix destroyed him.
    Wasn't his shoulder hurt for that game?

  3. #81
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post
    I've been reluctant to respond in this thread as a Thompson fan, but I'd like to respectfully "pump the brakes" on the statement above.

    The state championship game with Central-Phenix City was on the heels of a wet, wild, rainy battle with Hoover, in which Lia was injured. Frankly, the whole team got beat up in that game, essentially a de facto state championship; there is a cost in beating a team like Hoover. It's a lot like what happens to teams after they play Bama.

    Say what you will about whether he is/will be a generational QB for Bama, but he was for THS, and he had to have a go in the championship game, even with an injury. He was unable to finish the game. C-PC didn't "destroy" him. THS couldn't score, got behind, and had to eventually go with backup QB Sawyer Pate.

    FYI, the Pate-led THS Warriors are now the #1 team in the state in 7A, after a game last week that saw Hoover's QB Robby Ashford, an Ole Miss commit, go down with injury in the 4th qtr of a tight game. We didn't "destroy" Hoover either. Losing an elite starting QB, even for the best HS teams like Thompson and Hoover, is too much to overcome.

    Lia will be great at Bama, or wherever he plays (but like many, I believe for many reasons including family that he will stay here). Anyone using the state championship game last year as a reason to "go quiet" on his upside, or as a barometer of his ability, without accounting for what he did throughout his historic career at Thompson, is missing some data.
    And how does any of this address the insane amount of folks who for 2 years were talking him up as better or on par with Tua suddenly going quite after Central destroyed his team?

  4. #82
    BamaNation First Team JamieSPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maylene, AL
    Posts
    703

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Wasn't his shoulder hurt for that game?
    I was a minute ahead of you, Con.

    I hate the "Colt got hurt" thing and as a Thompson fan I've been reluctant, but it is what it is. We tried to play him. Those shocked with the result of that game probably didn't pay much attention to the fact that he didn't even play most of the second half. Those of us there at Jordan-Hare remember it all too well...
    "So, if you wanna drink the Kool-Aid..." ó Nick Saban, September 27, 2008

    JamieSPCó drunk on Kool-Aid, 2008-2018

  5. #83
    BamaNation First Team JamieSPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maylene, AL
    Posts
    703

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    And how does any of this address the insane amount of folks who for 2 years were talking him up as better or on par with Tua suddenly going quite after Central destroyed his team?

    I don't have the same perception you do, or the same experience, so I can't really comment on it beyond what I've already posted. I watched him play literally every single down of his career at Thompson. I didn't go "quite" and can't wait to see him play college ball.

    He's an elite talent, whether he is as good as his brother or not. I worry about him as a person because it's conceivable that NO ONE will ever be "as good as Tua," at Bama or elsewhere. And it's likely no one will suffer under the weight of those expectations more than Lia will.
    Last edited by JamieSPC; September 11th, 2019 at 10:50 AM.
    "So, if you wanna drink the Kool-Aid..." ó Nick Saban, September 27, 2008

    JamieSPCó drunk on Kool-Aid, 2008-2018

  6. #84
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post
    I don't have the same perception you do, or the same experience, so I can't really comment on it beyond what I've already posted. I watched him play literally every single down of his career at Thompson. I didn't go "quite" and can't wait to see him play college ball.
    Letís try this again with it broken down a little better.

    #1 Iíve never hyped up Lia at all and never accused anyone specifically of doing it on this board.

    #2 one of my side jobs deals with the AHSAA, and many many folks have been saying he was as good or better than Tua.

    #3 Iíve seen Lia multiple times and seen him as the Clear best QB in the state, but he isnít Tua, and certainly isnít better than Tua

    #4 Anyone who thought anyone besides McGill Toolin had a chance vs CPC hasnít paid attention to CPC for the last 4 years or are just wishful fans. Had it not been for McGill then Central wouldíve had 3 of 4.

    #5 Iím not basing my opinion on Lia on the CPC game . I fully expected CPC to win vs Hoover or Thompson by 3 Tds even before Liaís injury. They were that good.

    #6 I think Lia will be a good college qb, but it will take more time for him to develop than Tua

    #7 My overall point was that there were many in this state credible and side walk fans believing he was better than or equal to Tua, but the vast majority of those people went quiet after the CPC game and even more went quiet after Mac won the #2 job

  7. #85
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,234

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    #7 My overall point was that there were many in this state credible and side walk fans believing he was better than or equal to Tua, but the vast majority of those people went quiet after the CPC game and even more went quiet after Mac won the #2 job
    I feel like that is our biggest definitive clue that Taulia is no Tua.

    Well, that and watching them play

  8. #86
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,050
    Thread Starter

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I feel like that is our biggest definitive clue that Taulia is no Tua.

    Well, that and watching them play
    Watching them play in HS or college?

    Lia and Tyson have probably just got a limited number of snaps compared to Tua and Jones. I suspect that unless Lia makes up the "gap" between him and MJ he won't get much work at all now that we are out of fall camp and into the season of having game week prep.

    I suspect we really won't know where Lia or Tyson stands until they go thru next spring against Jones.

  9. #87
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,799

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Lia isnít even close to being as good as Tua. Sure he does somethings better than Tua, but as a whole he isnít. Itís like comparing Peyton and Eli. Both are good but there is wide gap in how good they are.


    For those expecting or saying Lia is better than or equal to Tua are probably going to be disappointed. Tua is a generational qb, Lia isnít.

    That is not to say Lia wonít be a great starter. It is more to pump the brakes on this non stop comparison that has been going on for 3 years now. I personally think when Lia gets use to the college game then he will be good, but not Tua good.
    Agreed. Tua has spoiled us forever. We are seeing something now we can only hope we will see again at some point. Not fair to compare Lia to him but I also agree he will develop into a good college QB given time.

  10. #88
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,234

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Watching them play in HS or college?

    Lia and Tyson have probably just got a limited number of snaps compared to Tua and Jones. I suspect that unless Lia makes up the "gap" between him and MJ he won't get much work at all now that we are out of fall camp and into the season of having game week prep.

    I suspect we really won't know where Lia or Tyson stands until they go thru next spring against Jones.
    HS and A-day is all we have seen so far so that's all we can take into account. And from that Taulia doesn't look like he is where Tua was as a true freshman. And Tyson looked like he was nowhere near ready.

    I don't anticipate Tyson playing a competitive snap at Alabama.

    I agree we won't know where they are until spring partially because we have no idea how quickly they will develop.

  11. #89
    FB|BB Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    4,872

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I don't see a scenario where Tua stays. Even if he got hurt sometimes this year and couldn't finish the season I think he'd still get drafted...just not as high.

    I just don't know how another year at Bama would improve his draft status.
    Agreed on all fronts. No realistic scenario where Tua is on the team after this season. And if I were blessed with his talent, I would make the same decision.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

  12. #90
    BamaNation First Team JamieSPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maylene, AL
    Posts
    703

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Letís try this again with it broken down a little better.

    #1 Iíve never hyped up Lia at all and never accused anyone specifically of doing it on this board.

    #2 one of my side jobs deals with the AHSAA, and many many folks have been saying he was as good or better than Tua.

    #3 Iíve seen Lia multiple times and seen him as the Clear best QB in the state, but he isnít Tua, and certainly isnít better than Tua

    #4 Anyone who thought anyone besides McGill Toolin had a chance vs CPC hasnít paid attention to CPC for the last 4 years or are just wishful fans. Had it not been for McGill then Central wouldíve had 3 of 4.

    #5 Iím not basing my opinion on Lia on the CPC game . I fully expected CPC to win vs Hoover or Thompson by 3 Tds even before Liaís injury. They were that good.

    #6 I think Lia will be a good college qb, but it will take more time for him to develop than Tua

    #7 My overall point was that there were many in this state credible and side walk fans believing he was better than or equal to Tua, but the vast majority of those people went quiet after the CPC game and even more went quiet after Mac won the #2 job
    Thatís as solid a breakdown of the situation as Iíve seen, and thanks for clarifying. Itís impossible for me to separate the personal feelings because I love the kid, but Iíve also seen him do things that Iíve never seen another HS QB do. That said, if the hype dies down, thatís probably good. The comparisons to Big Bro are inevitable but are not constructive.

    I believed we could beat Central, but not without Lia, which is where we found ourselves. ďWishful fan,Ē here, guilty. The way things are going, maybe we will get another shot this year...
    "So, if you wanna drink the Kool-Aid..." ó Nick Saban, September 27, 2008

    JamieSPCó drunk on Kool-Aid, 2008-2018

  13. #91
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post

    I believed we could beat Central, but not without Lia, which is where we found ourselves. “Wishful fan,” here, guilty. The way things are going, maybe we will get another shot this year...
    Its not a knock. I remember in the late Stallings era to the Shula era believing Alabama could beat a lot of teams they had no business beating.

    Whether or not Lia being hurt or not may or may not have changed the overall outcome (CPC winning) is debatable. I do think it would've been closer if he wasn't injured, but seeing CPC a few times and seeing Thompson, Hoover, and Hewitt a couple of times last year still makes me say its more like a 2-3 score win.

    As for this year, its really too early, but a rematch is a good possibility if Central can get past Auburn, Prattville, and LEE and Thompson can get past Hoover in the playoffs.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear