What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was just a tad surprised Lia played at all in our first game. I thought MJ would get all the fourth quarter reps.

At any rate, what's the scuttlebutt on Lia's involvement this year? Just 4 games and preserve the shirt? Or, does he get involved more than we think?

Edit: This question assumes Tua stays healthy.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Just a guess, and nothing to back it up, but I think it will be 4 games and a shirt..............and I look for Tyson to get the shirt as well................provided there are no injuries

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just a guess, and nothing to back it up, but I think it will be 4 games and a shirt..............and I look for Tyson to get the shirt as well................provided there are no injuries
I have no inside info, but I would have said you are right here before I saw Lia get those snaps in game one. I just assumed MJ would get those snaps and what experience came with them.

IMO, there was just no reason for Lia to get PT unless he's going to play beyond the four game limit this year.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I have no inside info, but I would have said you are right here before I saw Lia get those snaps in game one. I just assumed MJ would get those snaps and what experience came with them.

IMO, there was just no reason for Lia to get PT unless he's going to play beyond the four game limit this year.
Yeah, you never can tell...…….he may be farther ahead of the curve than we know

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
IIRC, Tia did a handoff and a kneel. Not the stuff of legends, and probably not what you'd use 1 of your 4 games to do. My guess is that they are preparing him as QB3 with the potential to overtake Mac.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think he will play in four games and if things go well this week then we may get to Paul Tyson at some point. There is utility in putting them out there just to hand it off because getting the play from the sideline and lining up the offense correctly is a bit different in a stadium on gameday. If the first string handles their business then I bet Tyson and Lia get to throw some.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I suspect he will play in 4 games and be ready in case something happens to one of our top two QBs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IIRC, Tia did a handoff and a kneel. Not the stuff of legends, and probably not what you'd use 1 of your 4 games to do. My guess is that they are preparing him as QB3 with the potential to overtake Mac.
That's essentially how I'm reading the Tea Leaves on this. He's played 2 snaps and he's burned 1 of possible 4 games. That would seem strange to let this be one of his 4 games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Another possibility is that there are probably 6-8 times this year where we could play the 3rd stringer and they'll just mix and match who gets that time such that neither goes over 4 games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Another possibility is that there are probably 6-8 times this year where we could play the 3rd stringer and they'll just mix and match who gets that time such that neither goes over 4 games.
I've considered that too. If PT gets a few snaps this week and Lia doesn't that would seem possible.

I'd say there are probably at least 3 or 4 regular season games where Tua likely plays most the game and then if needed MJ can get a few series if we have a lead.

I'm thinking TAMU, LSU and Auburn are probably 3 games we might not even use a backup.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
They're gonna play as many true freshman as they can these first 4-5 games and see what's needed and how they develop. I expect an unexpected QB in this upcoming class who might be good enough to at least compete for the starting nod day 1 in 2020.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean there is a good chance at least one of the three juniors sticks around (my guess is Smith) plus Waddle and Meachie for 2020. Also Trey Sanders, both TEs should be back, and the OL will be mostly intact. If I was a day 1 starter caliber QB prospect, I'd be wanting to sign on with the Tide.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018

absolutely .. similar to 09 AJ year

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I hope Taulia gets lots of play time like Mac. Saturday would be a good game for that. I want to see Paul Tyson play some too on Saturday, since it is the first home game.

If Tua does leave early for NFL, I sure hope we can flip Bryce Young. It will be interesting to see if Tua (and Jake Fromm also) stay or leave next year. I think they both leave, but who knows. If Tua gets injured again, or we don't win the National Championship, he (or his dad) may decide to stay another year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hope Taulia gets lots of play time like Mac. Saturday would be a good game for that. I want to see Paul Tyson play some too on Saturday, since it is the first home game.

If Tua does leave early for NFL, I sure hope we can flip Bryce Young. It will be interesting to see if Tua (and Jake Fromm also) stay or leave next year. I think they both leave, but who knows. If Tua gets injured again, or we don't win the National Championship, he (or his dad) may decide to stay another year.
I can't imagine there would be but one scenario for Tua returning. He get's injured and misses most of the year.

But even then, he'd still be a draft pick...probably not as high.

If Tua gets thru this season unscathed, he's putting up huge numbers. Other than his size, he's the perfect NFL QB. He'd probably enter the league being one of the most accurate. He's got it all. Short throws go thru the eye of a needle and he hits guys in full stride. He throws the intermediate and longer ball beautifully and has the unique ability to "throw someone open."

Without an injury, he's a top pick...maybe THE top pick.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.