What's the Plan for Taulia this year?
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

I was just a tad surprised Lia played at all in our first game. I thought MJ would get all the fourth quarter reps.

At any rate, what's the scuttlebutt on Lia's involvement this year? Just 4 games and preserve the shirt? Or, does he get involved more than we think?

Edit: This question assumes Tua stays healthy.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; September 2nd, 2019 at 03:03 PM.

BamaNation All-American

Re: What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

Just a guess, and nothing to back it up, but I think it will be 4 games and a shirt..............and I look for Tyson to get the shirt as well................provided there are no injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    Just a guess, and nothing to back it up, but I think it will be 4 games and a shirt..............and I look for Tyson to get the shirt as well................provided there are no injuries
    I have no inside info, but I would have said you are right here before I saw Lia get those snaps in game one. I just assumed MJ would get those snaps and what experience came with them.

IMO, there was just no reason for Lia to get PT unless he's going to play beyond the four game limit this year.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I have no inside info, but I would have said you are right here before I saw Lia get those snaps in game one. I just assumed MJ would get those snaps and what experience came with them.

IMO, there was just no reason for Lia to get PT unless he's going to play beyond the four game limit this year.
    Yeah, you never can tell...…….he may be farther ahead of the curve than we know

BamaNation All-SEC

IIRC, Tia did a handoff and a kneel. Not the stuff of legends, and probably not what you'd use 1 of your 4 games to do. My guess is that they are preparing him as QB3 with the potential to overtake Mac.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I think he will play in four games and if things go well this week then we may get to Paul Tyson at some point. There is utility in putting them out there just to hand it off because getting the play from the sideline and lining up the offense correctly is a bit different in a stadium on gameday. If the first string handles their business then I bet Tyson and Lia get to throw some.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

I suspect he will play in 4 games and be ready in case something happens to one of our top two QBs.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    IIRC, Tia did a handoff and a kneel. Not the stuff of legends, and probably not what you'd use 1 of your 4 games to do. My guess is that they are preparing him as QB3 with the potential to overtake Mac.
    That's essentially how I'm reading the Tea Leaves on this. He's played 2 snaps and he's burned 1 of possible 4 games. That would seem strange to let this be one of his 4 games.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

There is a possiblity that they will try and get Tua in games as much they can this year.... and might not redshirt.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Another possibility is that there are probably 6-8 times this year where we could play the 3rd stringer and they'll just mix and match who gets that time such that neither goes over 4 games.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Another possibility is that there are probably 6-8 times this year where we could play the 3rd stringer and they'll just mix and match who gets that time such that neither goes over 4 games.
    I've considered that too. If PT gets a few snaps this week and Lia doesn't that would seem possible.

I'd say there are probably at least 3 or 4 regular season games where Tua likely plays most the game and then if needed MJ can get a few series if we have a lead.

I'm thinking TAMU, LSU and Auburn are probably 3 games we might not even use a backup.

Assuming Tua enters the draft after this season, who will start next year? And who will be number 2? Would this play into Lia getting play time?

They're gonna play as many true freshman as they can these first 4-5 games and see what's needed and how they develop. I expect an unexpected QB in this upcoming class who might be good enough to at least compete for the starting nod day 1 in 2020.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein