What's the Plan for Taulia this year?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
They're gonna play as many true freshman as they can these first 4-5 games and see what's needed and how they develop. I expect an unexpected QB in this upcoming class who might be good enough to at least compete for the starting nod day 1 in 2020.
Well thats fun

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
They're gonna play as many true freshman as they can these first 4-5 games and see what's needed and how they develop. I expect an unexpected QB in this upcoming class who might be good enough to at least compete for the starting nod day 1 in 2020.
Good stuff and been waiting to see a strategy emerge from coach given the 4 game rule and the transfer portal evolution. I like the the portal for QBs which I think guarantees the best ones will play somewhere. Heck, we might see Lea in every game this year as his upside is through the roof from what I've seen from him in highschool.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Anyone here think Mac Jones transfer in the off season?
If Lia is getting lots of reps it may indicate pecking order status, despite MJ being #2 on the DC.

If we start recruiting a "day one starter" like is being suggested to compete for next year, MJ transferring wouldn't be that shocking.

Is this MJ's 2nd or 3rd year in program?

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
If Lia is getting lots of reps it may indicate pecking order status, despite MJ being #2 on the DC.

If we start recruiting a "day one starter" like is being suggested to compete for next year, MJ transferring wouldn't be that shocking.

Is this MJ's 2nd or 3rd year in program?
This is Mac's third season. He red shirted 2017.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is Mac's third season. He red shirted 2017.
Which probably means he'll graduate in December like Jalen did. If the path to playing time (starting next year) looks uncertain, I'd say there's a real possibility he'd employ the graduate transfer rule to go somewhere for his 4th year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hope you are right about the Young man.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Which probably means he'll graduate in December like Jalen did. If the path to playing time (starting next year) looks uncertain, I'd say there's a real possibility he'd employ the graduate transfer rule to go somewhere for his 4th year.
I think this is a very likely scenario for Mack. I also do not believe Taulia and Tyson will both be around after next year (2020 season).

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think this is a very likely scenario for Mack. I also do not believe Taulia and Tyson will both be around after next year (2020 season).
Provided his brother stays healthy Taulia will be your starter day 1 2020 & 2021 IMHO. Lia likes to take off an run sometimes which could affect his health but he has the same vision and "IT" factor that Tua has. At least, that is what I saw the past two years at Thompson. He'll be a Pro someday.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
IIRC, Tia did a handoff and a kneel. Not the stuff of legends, and probably not what you'd use 1 of your 4 games to do. My guess is that they are preparing him as QB3 with the potential to overtake Mac.
Well, here's hoping that every time he's in, he hands off and a RB will run for another TD. Currently 100% at handing off with a TD scored. That would be awesome. Tua throws for TDs and Tia hands off for TDs. Sounds good to me.

By the way, I'll bet no one in NCAA history has a 100% hand-off TD rate. Let's maintain that stat.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Taulia is our starter next year do you really think Tyson will leave with his family ties?
If Mack Jones is not the starter in 2020 I think he transfers. If Taulia is the starter I do believe Tyson would transfer especially if we sign a big time QB this December. If Tyson is not as good as we think then he may not transfer and be content to hold the clipboard and signal in plays. We have signed other QBs higher rated than Tyson and Taulia and they did not work out. It is anybody's guess at this point.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If Taulia is our starter next year do you really think Tyson will leave with his family ties?
Assuming both Tyson and Taulia maintain their redshirts this year, and Lia wins the job next year: yes, I do think Tyson transfers. Mac, too.

Assuming Tyson redshirts, and Taulia burns the 'shirt in 2019, it puts them a year apart in eligibility. Tyson might, maybe, stick around, figuring Taulia lasts only through the 2021 season. At which point, Tyson would be a RS Junior for the 2022 season.

I wouldn't count on it, though. Saturday's statement on the #3 QB, as they stand today, was unmistakeable. And today's transfer world isn't what most of us grew up with.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
IIRC, Tia did a handoff and a kneel. Not the stuff of legends, and probably not what you'd use 1 of your 4 games to do. My guess is that they are preparing him as QB3 with the potential to overtake Mac.
Lia has a much quicker release than Mack.
AND
Lia is a better runner than both Tua and Mack. (Maybe)
Lia has a much higher upside than Mack, but no PT against college teams.
Lia is going to be brought along 'Just In Case'.
AND
If Lia should catch up with Mack... 3 good Quarterbacks.

I expect if NM State game goes as expected, CNS's intentions will be obvious.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Lia has a much quicker release than Mack.
AND
Lia is a better runner than both Tua and Mack. (Maybe)
Lia has a much higher upside than Mack, but no PT against college teams.
Lia is going to be brought along 'Just In Case'.
AND
If Lia should catch up with Mack... 3 good Quarterbacks.

I expect if NM State game goes as expected, CNS's intentions will be obvious.
I have not seen much of Taulia, but what little I have seen, he is not Tua. Of course he has time to develop. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that Tua and Taulia's father is the only decision maker in their family and he wants it his way with both of his boys, which is okay, but it may not always be that way. Would Tua still be at Alabama had Hurts been the starter last year? This is not meant as a criticism of the father or his sons, just an observation.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think the plan is to bring Lia along with the hopes he can be the starter next year after Tua leaves for the NFL. For some reason, I see Mac as a perennial backup. If Lia burns his redshirt and Tyson keeps his, then I think Tyson sticks around to be the backup to Lia, then the starter for 1-2 years. Of course, that changes if we get a great QB recruit who can come in and compete for the starting job as a true freshman.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.