Question: Will the short passing game make the running game less important this year?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The difference between Henry and Najee is that Henry started hitting the hole way harder and stopped needlessly going side to side trying to make a miracle plays when if he hit the hole it would’ve been a 2 yard gain instead of a 4 yard loss. The Duke game wasn’t really a sign that Najee had dropped that habit, and again in week 1 it’s hard to tell if that is the line or the running backs. But I have a feeling that when we get to aTm and LSU we are probably going to see way more Brian Robinson than Najee.
I said in a prior post that Najee seems to want to bounce a handoff outside, the question is this his MO or is it that the OL is allowing enough penetration to force him outside. Hopefully all of this will be resolved before we face TAMU, LSU, Auburn, and UGA if we make to the SECC game. I have always believed that an effective passing game should open up the running game, but I am beginning to think that our OL's top priority is pass blocking and this comes at the expense of solid run blocking. As B1G said, being able to run in the red zone will ultimately determine the outcome of the games mentioned above.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Najee does best running to the outside, rather than between the tackles. He also does well taking a pitch to the outside. Brian, hopefully, will be the bread and butter up the middle. Ford should see play time as well. I thought he did well for his first game, especially with the OL issues.
Well, except for his blocking... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I said in a prior post that Najee seems to want to bounce a handoff outside, the question is this his MO or is it that the OL is allowing enough penetration to force him outside. Hopefully all of this will be resolved before we face TAMU, LSU, Auburn, and UGA if we make to the SECC game. I have always believed that an effective passing game should open up the running game, but I am beginning to think that our OL's top priority is pass blocking and this comes at the expense of solid run blocking. As B1G said, being able to run in the red zone will ultimately determine the outcome of the games mentioned above.
I think the number of times last year we passed from inside the five gives you your answer...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think we can fairly say this yet. Last years OL wasn't great at run blocking and this year's starting 5 at OL isn't even settled yet.

It's difficult to say how good any of our RB's are when they seldom have a hole to run through much less a crease.
I'm not an RB coach, and I did not stay in a hotel last night. But I have heard Coach Saban, even this week, blame the RBs or at least give them some of the blame. It made no sense to me because what I was seeing on tv were a bunch of OL standing up and trying to dance with the DL instead of firing upfield and knocking people on their rears.

Then it hit me. I've heard it said about zone blocking, and the RB technique that is supposed to go with it, that the RBs have to move quickly after the snap (no dancing, no side to side movement), and then when they see a crease, make a cut and get upfield. It's supposed to happen quickly. And yeah, there may not be a crease there, but an RB has to fight his instinct to hesitate looking for an opening. He's got to move quickly and cut upfield either way. If he hesitates, 99 times out of 100, he's dead.

I don't know how accurate any of that is, but it makes sense in light of Coach Saban's comments. Our RB's vision has to improve in addition to the OL getting things in sync.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not an RB coach, and I did not stay in a hotel last night. But I have heard Coach Saban, even this week, blame the RBs or at least give them some of the blame. It made no sense to me because what I was seeing on tv were a bunch of OL standing up and trying to dance with the DL instead of firing upfield and knocking people on their rears.

Then it hit me. I've heard it said about zone blocking, and the RB technique that is supposed to go with it, that the RBs have to move quickly after the snap (no dancing, no side to side movement), and then when they see a crease, make a cut and get upfield. It's supposed to happen quickly. And yeah, there may not be a crease there, but an RB has to fight his instinct to hesitate looking for an opening. He's got to move quickly and cut upfield either way. If he hesitates, 99 times out of 100, he's dead.

I don't know how accurate any of that is, but it makes sense in light of Coach Saban's comments. Our RB's vision has to improve in addition to the OL getting things in sync.
I've never quite understood the zone blocking method. I think it requires combo blocks when a lineman briefly blocks another lineman and then moves to the second level to block a LB. It sounds complicated, especially for new OLmen and if a defense starts playing mind games I can see how it gets complicated.

I guess it's just old school, but in short-yardage situations, I'd love to see a hat on a hat and OL just moving the LOS back about 2-3 yards. Put an H-back (what would have been a full back in the old I formation) and let them clear out the hole or meet a LB shooting the gap. Does this not still work in football???

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I have the belief that the quality of front sevens in the SEC, as so many are destined for the NFL, that the straight ahead run game is extremely difficult at best, particularly in the red zone. Based on a video I viewed of Sark's run game with the Falcons I would expect that the scheme will be to attempt to outnumber the defense at the point of attack by pulling lineman and utilizing a tight end or H back like Ale Kaho. We have seen that he is already utilizing Tua under center and throwing to Tight Ends in order to give future opponents something to think about. With the speed and size of LB's in the SEC and NFL it is difficult to win in the red zone with the run game but Sark will give multiple looks to challenge defenses who are attempting to outguess him.

I was also surprised with Duke's ability to penetrate the offensive line but came to the conclusion that they are well coached and were running multiple stunts in an effort to get home. Of course that led to single coverage on the outside and we saw how futile it is to attempt to tackle Jerry Jeudy in space.

I still have hopes of Najee being one of the best running backs in the country and expect that if he continues with a positive attitude we will see some explosive runs as the season develops.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've never quite understood the zone blocking method. I think it requires combo blocks when a lineman briefly blocks another lineman and then moves to the second level to block a LB. It sounds complicated, especially for new OLmen and if a defense starts playing mind games I can see how it gets complicated.

I guess it's just old school, but in short-yardage situations, I'd love to see a hat on a hat and OL just moving the LOS back about 2-3 yards. Put an H-back (what would have been a full back in the old I formation) and let them clear out the hole or meet a LB shooting the gap. Does this not still work in football???
I agree. What I know of zone blocking is that the OL is literally blocking a zone not a man. Yes, combo blocks are involved. Two OL engage a DL in their "zone", and then one peels off and heads to the second level when the DL is sufficiently blocked. All of this happening at speed, and it's certainly complicated. But it does take the RB working the proper technique as well. Shuffling around, waiting for a hole to open, will almost never work. He's got to start moving quickly and cutback with authority when the hint of an opening is there. There more dancing he does, the more time the defense has to track him down. Even when it appears the OL isn't opening a crease, he still has to make an authoritative cut up the field. It may only gain a yard or two but its better than losing 5.

At least when short yardage is needed, I prefer the QB under Center, handing off to a TB going "down hill" behind and OL simply pancaking the DL in front of them. But that certainly has it's drawbacks and that's why the best use both methods.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.