Question: Will the short passing game make the running game less important this year?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I'm an old school guy when it comes to football. I hate the RPO I don't care how effective it is, and it's obvious relying on it so heavily last year made Bama vunerable. What Sark is doing this year is different. It's a more old school Bill Walsh West Coast Offense approach. Crossing routes, out routes, swing passes to the running backs, TE's down the seam, and so on. Duke had to pick whether they would play up tight and give up the deep ball or give cushion and open up all kinds of short passes that really are just glorified hand-offs with the caliber or QB and WR's Bama has. I was really impressed by the play calling Saturday.

I could see this type of play calling going on all year with less emphasis on the running game. Even though I want more running. I'm hopeful the line gels, and that getting Brown back will make running consistently more productive. It will be interesting to see what better defenses do with this west coast type of approach to the offense. The deep stuff has to be respected, and you can't sleep on the running game so what is the defense supposed to do blitz everyone and pray? I'm really looking forward to the meat of the schedule to see how this team looks against SC, A&M, and LSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No - you need a reliable running game and a solid defense to win a championship, even with the best passing game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly with the loss of Trey Sanders I think the possibility is very real that Tua is the offense again. I don’t feel we are a running team like many had hoped all offseason. I think it more deals with the depth at rb and not as much as due to Sark’s offense.

Maybe it’s one game of kinks, but running wasn’t a bright spot. Whether it was the o-line or the running backs, it wasn’t a performance that gives you the good feeling of leaning on the running game vs a good defense. But again a lot of football left to figure it out, but it feels that Tua is going to be the difference between championship football or not in terms of offense.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice post. I think Sark will tinker over the next few games but I fully expect more running between the tackles as we get into the meat. When that gets worked out...watch out future foes.

Scottbama555

Mar 29, 2016
What I found odd about Saturday’s game was how many runs began with the running back alongside rather than behind Tua. It seemed to cause a big delay as compared to running downhill. Our big backs aren’t that quick and this only made it worse. What is the purpose of this alignment? Pass protection perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I heard some pistol formation on the radio, I’m a big fan of that. Also let’s not forget that those short passes will be deadly with Tua’s consistent accuracy. These passes will cause a horizontal stretching of the defense in an attempt to stop those passes, which will result in fewer players in the box.

Let’s not forget that even Coach said the running backs might need a little tweaking in regards to running in this style of offense. Let’s revisit halftime of game 3.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
The discussion has been the need to re-establish the run game as a key part of the offense. I think we will successfully see that over the season. I think last season showed that its not just about scoring off of explosive plays, its also about being able to successfully move the chains AND score when you need to. The running game has to be successful for that to happen.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I heard some pistol formation on the radio, I’m a big fan of that. Also let’s not forget that those short passes will be deadly with Tua’s consistent accuracy. These passes will cause a horizontal stretching of the defense in an attempt to stop those passes, which will result in fewer players in the box.

Let’s not forget that even Coach said the running backs might need a little tweaking in regards to running in this style of offense. Let’s revisit halftime of game 3.

This. While I like the power run and smashing the defense with a Good OL line play and controlling the clock, I don't think that will be us this year. If Tua can spread the field with this incredible stable of backs then we will prob Pass first to set up the run. I liked that Tua tried to refrain from the big play on every down and if he can do what he did in the second and third quarter all year, then our offense should be better than last year.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
What I found odd about Saturday’s game was how many runs began with the running back alongside rather than behind Tua. It seemed to cause a big delay as compared to running downhill. Our big backs aren’t that quick and this only made it worse. What is the purpose of this alignment? Pass protection perhaps?

This! Drives me nuts with our hs running game too...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wish we could find a way to mix the running game of 2008-2012 with the passing game we have today. I hate the formations we run out of, and I hate the style we run with. All of it is delay, delay, delay. OL never fires off the ball and we never seem to run downhill. I'm exaggerating, of course. But I miss the way we run the ball in the first half of the Saban era. If there were a way to marry it with our passing prowess today, I would love it. I realize that's probably not technically possible. So it is what it is. At least if we are going to be so dependent on the pass, our OL does pass block very well. We've got to keep Tua healthy, and maybe the run blocking and RB vision will improve as the year goes along.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Honestly with the loss of Trey Sanders I think the possibility is very real that Tua is the offense again. I don’t feel we are a running team like many had hoped all offseason. I think it more deals with the depth at rb and not as much as due to Sark’s offense.

Maybe it’s one game of kinks, but running wasn’t a bright spot. Whether it was the o-line or the running backs, it wasn’t a performance that gives you the good feeling of leaning on the running game vs a good defense. But again a lot of football left to figure it out, but it feels that Tua is going to be the difference between championship football or not in terms of offense.
Totally agree with this. Our RBs, IMO, are not the quality of most of CNS's previous RBs. It could be because of the offensive change over the past 4-5 years to a more pass oriented offense, the same rationale may apply to the type OL being recruited. The depth at RB is also a concern if Harris or Robinson gets injured. The good news is that there is a lot of football left and the running game and OL have time to improve. I also agree that making it to the playoffs hinges on a healthy Tua.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Totally agree with this. Our RBs, IMO, are not the quality of most of CNS's previous RBs. It could be because of the offensive change over the past 4-5 years to a more pass oriented offense, the same rationale may apply to the type OL being recruited. The depth at RB is also a concern if Harris or Robinson gets injured. The good news is that there is a lot of football left and the running game and OL have time to improve. I also agree that making it to the playoffs hinges on a healthy Tua.
I agree with this too. We do need to have all our running backs healthy vs Texas AM, LSU, and Auburn and beyond, or those games will be closer than expected. I wish we had the running back depth that Georgia has.

I am not sure what type of foot injury Trey Sanders has.. is it LisFranc? That would be great if he could play starting vs Auburn but I won't get my hopes up. I do hope he heals 100 % for next season. Bama needs to get either Zac Evans or Kendall Milton to go along with Roydell Williams.

As long as Tua stays healthy, things will be fine. I don't think we make it to the playoffs if it's Mac leading the way and if our running game is just average.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
What many forget to realize that Saban, Sark, Tua and others have said that it would be pass first offense, where the passing offense will set up run game. There will still be a balance, but you would be fool to not take advantage of the receivers on the roster. We will see lot of 4 or 5 WR sets that will be very difficult to stop. I don't anticipate us using it a lot until we get to the meat of the schedule.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
No - you need a reliable running game and a solid defense to win a championship, even with the best passing game.
I tend to agree with you. The defense is a given, but will the short passing lessen the load the running game has to carry? I think this offense could be unique in the fact that the top 6 WR's could all be first round picks when it comes their turn, and because of Tua's accuracy they make running a little less important. Where it could bite you is on the two yard line where it gets tougher to pass because the field shrinks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd like to see Tua under center more in short yardage situations. It would make play action deadly for Tua and our WRs running short routes and then when we hand off our running backs have a little forward motion from deeper in the backfield.

I'm just not a fan of pistol and one back set on short-yardage situations. JMO.

I know we've got plenty of time to improve, but I was most disappointed with this aspect of our offense on Saturday. It's hard to fathom that we struggled to control the LOS in the running game against Duke.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know a lot has been said in the off-season that Trey Sanders could’ve been potentially the #1 by season’s end.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Now is not the time to worry about our RBs. we will be fine. Najee and the company will be okay. It is only the first game and they will make adjustments as we go through the season.

Meanwhile: https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...-about-alabamas-offensive-scheme-in-2019.html

Overall, the offense didn’t feel that different, Smith said. It was more about how Sarkisian calls things and the way he does it that differs from last year.
There were a few tweaks in the roles of the receivers, Smith said. It sounds like there’s more fluidity between the X, Y and Z receiver positions.

“The offense stayed the same but it’s not necessarily you’re this receiver, that receiver,” Smith said. “Whatever the formation, where you at, that’s where you at. You can be anywhere: one play you can be outside, next you can be in the slot. I think that kind of helps us all out a lot because now we can all get a feel for the inside and the outside.”
With that, there was a tease Saturday of the four-receiver look that Alabama terms “red personnel.”

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The lack of run game concerns me. It's nice to have the best passing game in Bama history (and maybe in collegiate history), but you need to be able to run. The O-line needs work and the backs aren't as good as in years past. This is a concern.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.