Question: Will the short passing game make the running game less important this year?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Will the short passing game make the running game less important this year?

I'm an old school guy when it comes to football. I hate the RPO I don't care how effective it is, and it's obvious relying on it so heavily last year made Bama vunerable. What Sark is doing this year is different. It's a more old school Bill Walsh West Coast Offense approach. Crossing routes, out routes, swing passes to the running backs, TE's down the seam, and so on. Duke had to pick whether they would play up tight and give up the deep ball or give cushion and open up all kinds of short passes that really are just glorified hand-offs with the caliber or QB and WR's Bama has. I was really impressed by the play calling Saturday.

I could see this type of play calling going on all year with less emphasis on the running game. Even though I want more running. I'm hopeful the line gels, and that getting Brown back will make running consistently more productive. It will be interesting to see what better defenses do with this west coast type of approach to the offense. The deep stuff has to be respected, and you can't sleep on the running game so what is the defense supposed to do blitz everyone and pray? I'm really looking forward to the meat of the schedule to see how this team looks against SC, A&M, and LSU.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Will the short passing game make the running game less important this year?

No - you need a reliable running game and a solid defense to win a championship, even with the best passing game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Honestly with the loss of Trey Sanders I think the possibility is very real that Tua is the offense again. I donít feel we are a running team like many had hoped all offseason. I think it more deals with the depth at rb and not as much as due to Sarkís offense.

Maybe itís one game of kinks, but running wasnít a bright spot. Whether it was the o-line or the running backs, it wasnít a performance that gives you the good feeling of leaning on the running game vs a good defense. But again a lot of football left to figure it out, but it feels that Tua is going to be the difference between championship football or not in terms of offense.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; September 3rd, 2019 at 05:11 PM.

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Nice post. I think Sark will tinker over the next few games but I fully expect more running between the tackles as we get into the meat. When that gets worked out...watch out future foes.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Right back at you Fred, Daniel and everyone else. 143

BamaNation Scout Team

What I found odd about Saturdayís game was how many runs began with the running back alongside rather than behind Tua. It seemed to cause a big delay as compared to running downhill. Our big backs arenít that quick and this only made it worse. What is the purpose of this alignment? Pass protection perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Nice post. I think Sark will tinker over the next few games but I fully expect more running between the tackles as we get into the meat. When that gets worked out...watch out future foes.
    Same here...………….Once the O Line gets in sync, I think the running game will really take off

Once the OL gels and all the starting RB are in place, the run game should be fine. I also expect to see more long throws in the mix.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

I heard some pistol formation on the radio, Iím a big fan of that. Also letís not forget that those short passes will be deadly with Tuaís consistent accuracy. These passes will cause a horizontal stretching of the defense in an attempt to stop those passes, which will result in fewer players in the box.

Letís not forget that even Coach said the running backs might need a little tweaking in regards to running in this style of offense. Letís revisit halftime of game 3.

"It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-SEC

The discussion has been the need to re-establish the run game as a key part of the offense. I think we will successfully see that over the season. I think last season showed that its not just about scoring off of explosive plays, its also about being able to successfully move the chains AND score when you need to. The running game has to be successful for that to happen.

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    I heard some pistol formation on the radio, I’m a big fan of that. Also let’s not forget that those short passes will be deadly with Tua’s consistent accuracy. These passes will cause a horizontal stretching of the defense in an attempt to stop those passes, which will result in fewer players in the box.

Let’s not forget that even Coach said the running backs might need a little tweaking in regards to running in this style of offense. Let’s revisit halftime of game 3.

This. While I like the power run and smashing the defense with a Good OL line play and controlling the clock, I don't think that will be us this year. If Tua can spread the field with this incredible stable of backs then we will prob Pass first to set up the run. I liked that Tua tried to refrain from the big play on every down and if he can do what he did in the second and third quarter all year, then our offense should be better than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottbama555 View Post
    What I found odd about Saturday’s game was how many runs began with the running back alongside rather than behind Tua. It seemed to cause a big delay as compared to running downhill. Our big backs aren’t that quick and this only made it worse. What is the purpose of this alignment? Pass protection perhaps?

This! Drives me nuts with our hs running game too...

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

I wish we could find a way to mix the running game of 2008-2012 with the passing game we have today. I hate the formations we run out of, and I hate the style we run with. All of it is delay, delay, delay. OL never fires off the ball and we never seem to run downhill. I'm exaggerating, of course. But I miss the way we run the ball in the first half of the Saban era. If there were a way to marry it with our passing prowess today, I would love it. I realize that's probably not technically possible. So it is what it is. At least if we are going to be so dependent on the pass, our OL does pass block very well. We've got to keep Tua healthy, and maybe the run blocking and RB vision will improve as the year goes along.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Honestly with the loss of Trey Sanders I think the possibility is very real that Tua is the offense again. I don’t feel we are a running team like many had hoped all offseason. I think it more deals with the depth at rb and not as much as due to Sark’s offense.

Maybe it’s one game of kinks, but running wasn’t a bright spot. Whether it was the o-line or the running backs, it wasn’t a performance that gives you the good feeling of leaning on the running game vs a good defense. But again a lot of football left to figure it out, but it feels that Tua is going to be the difference between championship football or not in terms of offense.
    Totally agree with this. Our RBs, IMO, are not the quality of most of CNS's previous RBs. It could be because of the offensive change over the past 4-5 years to a more pass oriented offense, the same rationale may apply to the type OL being recruited. The depth at RB is also a concern if Harris or Robinson gets injured. The good news is that there is a lot of football left and the running game and OL have time to improve. I also agree that making it to the playoffs hinges on a healthy Tua.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner