Nigel Knott is no longer with the team

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
LINK

Nigel Knott, who hadn’t practiced with the team since the spring because of an undisclosed medical situation, has been medically disqualified, according to coach Nick Saban.
Sad to see him go out this way, but glad to hear that he is staying in school and the team is still supporting him.

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
Nothing wrong with listening to the doctors. Life is about more than sports. He will learn that when he gets to hold his child for the first time or see his bride walk down the aisle. Still feel for him as I am sure he had visions of being great at the gridiron.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hate to hear this. He showed plenty of potential and promise coming out of high school.

Team-wise, this is one of those tricky numbers situation where he's still in school on scholarship but I'm not sure if he counts toward the 85 or not. Anyone know or remember?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I sure hate it for the young man. Like others said, I am glad he is staying in school and getting his education.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hate to hear this. He showed plenty of potential and promise coming out of high school.

Team-wise, this is one of those tricky numbers situation where he's still in school on scholarship but I'm not sure if he counts toward the 85 or not. Anyone know or remember?
I think that if he's medically disqualified, he can still receive a scholarship but does NOT count towards the 85.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think that if he's medically disqualified, he can still receive a scholarship but does NOT count towards the 85.
I think you’re right. Early in Saban’s tenure I think I remember us catching some flak (rival fans) for using the medical scholarship to get rid of “less desirable” players without losing scholarships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I sure hate it for the young man. Like others said, I am glad he is staying in school and getting his education.
Amen to that! He is at the very beginning of his career and look forward to seeing him succeed off the field as well as he did on it. Roll Tide Nigel!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think you’re right. Early in Saban’s tenure I think I remember us catching some flak (rival fans) for using the medical scholarship to get rid of “less desirable” players without losing scholarships.

i remember when the jawjuh fans were still talking smack many many years ago, this was one of their "points"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's right. The narrative then was Saban was kicking a player off the team while not acknowledging the player was still getting a free ride to school. It was very silly by the media and opposing fans.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
It must be so hard for him to have to forego his dream but his health is paramount. This is just the situation medical schollies were designed. Thankfully he will have the opportunity to leave school with a degree and not a mountain of debt. Good luck to him.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
i remember when the jawjuh fans were still talking smack many many years ago, this was one of their "points"
The comparison wasn't always that unfair, given we had a couple of guys get medically DQ'ed somewhat out of the blue, then allowed to play at their next school.

Knott, however, missed practically all of one season with one injury and then about half of another season with another one. And then he got hurt again this year.

He was listed around 5'11", 180 but every time I saw him he looked about 5'8", 160 at best. I really think his issue was he was too small/slight for D-1A contact.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.