College Mascots across America on chopping block
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

College Mascots across America on chopping block

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13661

Colleges and universities across the country are axing “offensive” mascots.

From Washington, D.C. to Maine and from to Illinois to California, more and more mascots are falling prey to political correctness.
    Can someone tell me why “Pioneers” is offensive?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Re: College Mascots across America on chopping block

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13661

Can someone tell me why “Pioneers” is offensive?
    I’m not saying I personally feel offended.....

But in general the answer you are looking for is American Pioneers[COLOR=#878787 !important]plural noun: pioneers
    [/COLOR]

• a person who is among the first to explore or settle a new country or area.
      synonyms: settler, colonist, colonizer, frontiersman/frontierswoman, explorer, trailblazer, discoverer"the pioneers of the Wild West"

all but completely wiped out Native Americans.

So there could be a valid argument made for it being offensive to those remaining.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

This is getting pretty ridiculous.

Let’s go Fighting Marshmellows! No! Fat white guys are offended that you have a mascots that resembles them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

FB|BB Moderator

[QUOTE=BamaFlum;3439363]This is getting pretty ridiculous.

Let’s go Fighting Marshmellows! No! Fat white guys are offended that you have a mascots that resembles them" [/COLOR]

You have body-shamed and pigment-shamed humans who would have been male, except for the fact that they have no testosterone. None of that is their fault. Expect to be asked to "step down" from your job. Expect your re-education package and "counselor" shortly.

Platonic Love,

The Michelin Man
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Eventually all words will become offensive and we will communicate with clicks, grunts, and moans. After a while that will be offensive and we will not speak at all. Then that will be offensive too.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

There were only six examples listed. It looked to me to be blown out of proportion. I'm not going to worry about it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    There were only six examples listed. It looked to me to be blown out of proportion. I'm not going to worry about it.
    Nothing ever starts out as large as it gets. Just wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Eventually all words will become offensive and we will communicate with clicks, grunts, and moans. After a while that will be offensive and we will not speak at all. Then that will be offensive too.
    Man, at that point Fox News will be forced to just show images of brown people with scary music and noises 24/7.

BamaNation All-American

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. If they want to change the mascot change the mascot. I don't care what reason you give for the most part even if I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. If they want to change the mascot change the mascot. I don't care what reason you give for the most part even if I don't necessarily agree with your reasoning.
    I think it's more an observation of the ever increasing sensitivity of our society and how more and more "things" are being consumed by it. Which I personally believe has a bubble that will one day burst. I'll just be long gone before it does. Does changing a mascot impact your daily life? Probably not. It doesn't mine that's for sure. But the hyper-sensitivity that is driving the demand to change the mascot can. Because that hyper-sensitivity one day may claim you as a victim. Hell, I never thought in a million years I'd see in my own little community some of the silliness (regarding sensitivity) that I normally would only hear about on a national news story or posted on Tidefans to make fun of. But again, I think it's cyclical. It will reach a point where enough people are sick of it and there will be a correction. I just believe I'll be dead and gone when it does. Until then, I'll keep clutching my pearls and watching for the black helicopters that I know are flying around my house when I'm not looking.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think it's more an observation of the ever increasing sensitivity of our society and how more and more "things" are being consumed by it. Which I personally believe has a bubble that will one day burst. I'll just be long gone before it does. Does changing a mascot impact your daily life? Probably not. It doesn't mine that's for sure. But the hyper-sensitivity that is driving the demand to change the mascot can. Because that hyper-sensitivity one day may claim you as a victim. Hell, I never thought in a million years I'd see in my own little community some of the silliness (regarding sensitivity) that I normally would only hear about on a national news story or posted on Tidefans to make fun of. But again, I think it's cyclical. It will reach a point where enough people are sick of it and there will be a correction. I just believe I'll be dead and gone when it does. Until then, I'll keep clutching my pearls and watching for the black helicopters that I know are flying around my house when I'm not looking.
    Anybody wonder why "The Blue Devils" or "Blue Demons" or "Demon Deacons" are okay? But "Pioneers" and "Cowboys" aren't?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Anybody wonder why "The Blue Devils" or "Blue Demons" or "Demon Deacons" are okay? But "Pioneers" and "Cowboys" aren't?
    It is only not offensive today. Tomorrow that could change. All it takes these days is one complaint.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American

I guess I just think this whole thing is way overblown.