Twin Mexican Immigrant Boys Grew Up to Become HS Valedictorians - and MDs

Twin Mexican Immigrant Boys Grew Up to Become HS Valedictorians - and MDs

Awesome story - opportunity to climb the social ladder still exists here like nowhere else if one is willing to work!

Dr. Octavio (Harvard Medical School) and Dr. Omar (UCLA Medical School) received their M.D.s just one day apart. As CBS News reported, their academic success was a testament to the perseverance and work ethic of their parents especially their mother, Maria, who introduced her sons to the library and emphasized the importance of education.

Octavio and Omar came to the U.S. from Mexico when they were 10, working with their father, Jose, in the fields of Earlimart, California. They pruned vines, picked grapes and sold corn door to door in the Central Valley town of 5,000.
    From Farmworkers to Physicians: Twin Mexican Immigrant Boys Grew Up to Become HS Valedictorians and Just Graduated From Medical School
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Re: Twin Mexican Immigrant Boys Grew Up to Become HS Valedictorians - and MDs

Excellent! Love stories like this. My wife and her siblings and her childhood friends who made it here have similar stories. Countless other immigrants do the same. The American dream is here if you want it and willing to get it.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

That story don't prove nuthin', probably fake news put out by the lyin', liberal news media.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The American dream is here if you want it and willing to get it.*
    *Note: Some American dreams subject to end in a concentration camp.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    That story don't prove nuthin', probably fake news put out by the lyin', liberal news media.
    Send them back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    *Note: Some American dreams subject to end in a concentration camp.
    As my father-in-law experienced for 12 years, such camps are one of the many joys of life under a big government.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Send them back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had one friend fear that, if they didn't gain papers along the way, ICE might be coming for them...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-SEC tide power fan's Avatar

All I say it can be done the right way, my wife is proof of that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

I have a friend who lives in Huntsville, Val Bratu, that I used to play music with in a cancer show benefit in Fayetteville, TN. Val is from Romania and was the piano player for the Romanian National Orchestra before the Iron Curtain fell. IIRC, he defected when the orchestra was on tour and I remember him telling me he had 50 cents at the time. He was able to eventually get his wife and mother to America also. Val is a great guy and he and his wife have a nice home and good life in Huntsville.