Twin Mexican Immigrant Boys Grew Up to Become HS Valedictorians - and MDs

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Awesome story - opportunity to climb the social ladder still exists here like nowhere else if one is willing to work!

Dr. Octavio (Harvard Medical School) and Dr. Omar (UCLA Medical School) received their M.D.s just one day apart. As CBS News reported, their academic success was a testament to the perseverance and work ethic of their parents — especially their mother, Maria, who introduced her sons to the library and emphasized the importance of education.

Octavio and Omar came to the U.S. from Mexico when they were 10, working with their father, Jose, in the fields of Earlimart, California. They pruned vines, picked grapes and sold corn door to door in the Central Valley town of 5,000.
From Farmworkers to Physicians: Twin Mexican Immigrant Boys Grew Up to Become HS Valedictorians — and Just Graduated From Medical School

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Excellent! Love stories like this. My wife and her siblings and her childhood friends who made it here have similar stories. Countless other immigrants do the same. The American dream is here if you want it and willing to get it.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I have a friend who lives in Huntsville, Val Bratu, that I used to play music with in a cancer show benefit in Fayetteville, TN. Val is from Romania and was the piano player for the Romanian National Orchestra before the Iron Curtain fell. IIRC, he defected when the orchestra was on tour and I remember him telling me he had 50 cents at the time. He was able to eventually get his wife and mother to America also. Val is a great guy and he and his wife have a nice home and good life in Huntsville.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.