Hope this hasn't been posted already, but all vendors in front of Tutwiler are gone

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
One of my close friends has operated a vendor tent for 25 years in front of Tutwiler. They've been moved around a few times through the years, even been on the Quad a few times, but now they are all gone.

Pretty sad. It was one of the last ways that someone could make some money on game days, even though sales have been steadily dropping for a while. As I posted last month about the changing times at UA, I guess this is one more piece of evidence of it. It's just not the same place and same experience anymore. Winning is great, but when the losses happen, however rarely, and certainly not tomorrow against NMSU, that campus feel and experience can make up for it. I'm afraid it's being lost, never to return.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my close friends has operated a vendor tent for 25 years in front of Tutwiler. They've been moved around a few times through the years, even been on the Quad a few times, but now they are all gone.

Pretty sad. It was one of the last ways that someone could make some money on game days, even though sales have been steadily dropping for a while. As I posted last month about the changing times at UA, I guess this is one more piece of evidence of it. It's just not the same place and same experience anymore. Winning is great, but when the losses happen, however rarely, and certainly not tomorrow against NMSU, that campus feel and experience can make up for it. I'm afraid it's being lost, never to return.
Is this to make room for more tailgaters?

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Is this to make room for more tailgaters?
He wasn't given any reason. My buddy has owned and operated The Beveled Edge for the entire 25 years, and admits that sales have been slower over the past few years. Sometimes, not even making enough to barely cover the cost of being able to be there (transport, permit, etc). But he knows that those sidewalks in front of Tutwiler will no longer have space for vendors. I can only assume the University just didn't like the look of it all. It couldn't have had anything to do with foot traffic, as Bryant in that section is usually closed to motor vehicles, and open to pedestrians.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He wasn't given any reason. My buddy has owned and operated The Beveled Edge for the entire 25 years, and admits that sales have been slower over the past few years. Sometimes, not even making enough to barely cover the cost of being able to be there (transport, permit, etc). But he knows that those sidewalks in front of Tutwiler will no longer have space for vendors. I can only assume the University just didn't like the look of it all. It couldn't have had anything to do with foot traffic, as Bryant in that section is usually closed to motor vehicles, and open to pedestrians.
That may be it. A couple of times, I've ended up hooked up socially with rival fans pre-game. More than once, I heard the remark that it "looked like a flea market." So, you may have hit it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.